Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2013, 09:07 PM

Default Fracture of talus and lateral malleol

I mentioned few weeks ago that I broke my ankle. Well at first it seemed that I didn't have serious damage in my ankle. X-ray pictures showed only small fracture in my left foots lateral malleol. Thats lower part of fibula. Prognose of recovery was good and I might be riding again In four - five weeks.

But sadly that wasn't the whole story. After painful week I decided to contact orthopedist because pain begin to be stronger and location was more in front side of foot than in ankle. Doctor ordered CT-scan.

Few days ago I got the results. Broken talus bone. That was kind of big step back to me. Four weeks more with crutches. The fracture of tallus is not common. It's usually found from victims who have survived from aviation accident or fallen from high places. Some are caused by motorcycle accidents. Bone needs lots of energy to break. I had luck because fracture was located in the area that could heal pretty well.

My accident was not so bad. I did just take little too much speed to jump mx track and flat landed from hights. My suspension was set to enduro and it was too soft to absorb enough energy. Both front and rear bottomed and I felt big crunch from my left ankle. I rode to side of track where one of my friend was watching and told him to hold my bike. I took few steps and felt crunching in my ancle. I had to sit down and I told my friend to call an ambulance. Luckily I was riding with my three firefighter friends and they gave me good first aid before ambulance arrived.

My ankle didn't need any surgery (att least yet). If all goes well I'll be riding next time maybe in middle of october. So this season is gone. Juha Salminen had same kind of fracture in season 2010 and recovery to WEC took two and half months. I'm hoping to recover in same time. Physiotherapy starts one and half weeks from now and Im trying to keep in some kind of shape. Mentally it's hard because there is not so much that I can do right now...

Now I have good time to think and do some improvements to my gasser. I think next is to get that magneto side crank seal glued. After that I'm going to correct my cylinder height, get ports matched and get my cylinder head milled in to right squish...

By the way there is something different in -13 cylinder. It really was "snappier" than -12 cylinder... and it wasn't just the thing that is was new http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/f...s-Fracture.htm

-Timo-

When it hurts you know you're allive!

Gas Gas EC 300 Factory Racing 2012
- Ohlins TTX both front and rear
- Rekluse Core EXP 2.0 + Rekluse clutch basket
- Scalvini full exhaust system
- S3 Head
- Trusty adjustable PV cover

That was ultimate setup for me...
Now trying something else for a while...

Last edited by GasTimppa; 07-03-2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: added a link