Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:36 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

They are about the same at bottom end but the n3 comes on harder in the mid where the ne is more linear. The ne is easier for technical terrain (or less aggressive riders)

Old 02-17-2016, 08:57 AM

swazi matt, what are the last to letters on the n3 needle you speak of? is it a ktm needle, and do you know what yr and model it's from? It's some times a lot easier to order them that way.
Can anyone tell me why lots of people on here drop the last 2 letters and just put, examples- nexx, cjxx or noxx when they are describing something as unique as a needle?
Did I miss something, or is it just the first 2 letters that are the important ones??
I'm trying to learn as much as I can about needles, thks everyone.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:54 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

mine was an n3eh (i think - the details should also be listed on the jetting thread) and i ride about the 1000m level

Bike year & model = 2010 EC300 PWK ASII 38mm
Temperature (deg C) 20-35
Elevation = 600m - 1200m
Main jet = 172
Pilot jet = 40
Needle & notch = N3EH #2
Air screw setting = 3
Throttle valve/slide = stock 7

this seems to be working fine for me, possibly look at going down one of pilot as the air screw is fully open
Old 02-18-2016, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CACTUSREID View Post
swazi matt, what are the last to letters on the n3 needle you speak of? is it a ktm needle, and do you know what yr and model it's from? It's some times a lot easier to order them that way.
Can anyone tell me why lots of people on here drop the last 2 letters and just put, examples- nexx, cjxx or noxx when they are describing something as unique as a needle?
Did I miss something, or is it just the first 2 letters that are the important ones??
I'm trying to learn as much as I can about needles, thks everyone.
We're only discussing OEM needles here, identified by 4 letter code. Some only come with a particular brand of cycle. Some are shared across multiple brands.

Most start with an N (N1Ex/NOZx/N3Ex/N3Cx/NEDx,NECx)

The x denotes the diameter:
D=2.685mm
E=2.695mm (JD Blue)
F=2.705mm
G= 2.715
H= 2.725
W/I=2.735 (JD Red)
J= 2.745
K=2.755

You then have series of needles which share the same taper profile, but vary in length/clip position.

All these are KTM needles sharing the same dual taper profile listed as per 1/2 clip variations from leanest to richest they are...

N89x=leanest
N3Cx
N3Ex
N8Rx
N2Zx
N4Dx
N3Vx
N4Ax
N6Mx=richest

The N3Cx/N3Ex are also OEM for Yamaha YZ250s from around 05 onwards (originally N3EJ, and then moved to N3EW to try and reduce some off idle pinging). As such you can order through KTM or Yamaha.

TM, Gas Gas, Beta, KTM SX models, all used N1Ex or NOZx (half clip variants of eachother). This is a triple taper needle that starts off very rich and then leans out. It works OK in some applications, but has a very short straight section making the diameter rather hard to use as a tuning variable.

Suzuki RM250's use NEDx or NECx (with NECx being half a clip position leaner). They are a triple taper needle as well, however have a longer straight section and a lean first taper. In the gassers this makes them quite clean off the bottom, and a little richer through the mid which results in a smoother throttle application. Lacks punch/hit but lugs down well and responds to clutch as required. Good for technical terrain.

So to answer your question, the reason most people say N3xx or NExx is because they are referencing a particular taper profile. The diameter and clip position varies largely depending on the combination of pilot jet, slide cut away, float height, altitude, humidity, fuels, temp, carb models (AS1/2), etc.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:27 AM

thks guy's, that helps a lot. i'll re-read and try to absorb now!
Old 03-01-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC View Post
The leaner slide, when combined with the Suzuki NExx needles really makes the bike very responsive. It doesn't add any low end torque like the Yamaha N3xx needles, it just adds throttle response. I usually will drop down a starting diameter when I use the #8 slide. I will go from an NEDW to an NECH.

You have a couple of options when it comes to getting a new slide.

http://www.rb-designs.com/rb_designs_llc_013.htm or

http://jetsrus.com/carburetor/carb_k...iew_parts.html
Thanks SO much for the recommendation. Just installed the leaner slide and it made all the difference in the world. This is really a great mod.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95jersey View Post
Thanks SO much for the recommendation. Just installed the leaner slide and it made all the difference in the world. This is really a great mod.
You are welcome. I'm glad it's working out for you. What jetting setup are you using ?