Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:05 AM

Default Differences

What are the differences besides price between:

GasGas EC300
Beta 300RR
KTM 300 EXC

I've looked around and other than brand loyalty, I'm not seeing a huge difference other than KTM suspension sucks, which is no big deal to me. I would have to have it re-valved and sprung anyways for my weight.

Old 11-14-2015, 01:05 PM

It is like asking the differences between Ford, Chevy, and Dodge.

All about the same, just do things a little differently.

Though I am looong time Toyota fan, so....

Right now it is more about needs/wants for me. KTM/Husky fills my need for a big after market gas tank for my long ass rides I like to do, neither GG or Beta do. If you want a no bullshit bike, the "new" and I use that word very loosely, the new YZ250X is probably the best deal out there right now. No e-start to fuss with, KYB suspension...long time proven engine. gas it up and go, people will generally ignore you at the trial head..a Yammie...boring...which is a good thing.

http://dirtbiketest.com/fresh-dirt/2...ng-impression/

Going to buy the wife a new bike, it is either going to be a KTM 200 or a Beta X-Trainer.

Really like my GG 300, would love to get her a GG, but they are too damn heavy for her. Size is good though.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:30 PM

Default Differences

The x-trainer and the 200 are worlds different from each other. The x-trainer being a much better platform for a beginner or slower rider. I ride with a lady that has one and it fits her perfectly. Her husband rides a 200 and it's too tall and she doesn't like the hit that it has.

As far as the 250x if you haven't rode one it's hard to see what makes it different but I promise you it is nothing like a regular yz250. The engine characteristics are totally different and the suspension is perfect right out of the box. There are 2 of them in our riding group now and the guys just absolutely love them. My only complaint is the 2 gal. Gas tank but it sounds like you will be buying a tank no matter what you get. I suggest you try to find a place where you can try and ride one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2857 View Post
The x-trainer and the 200 are worlds different from each other. The x-trainer being a much better platform for a beginner or slower rider. I ride with a lady that has one and it fits her perfectly. Her husband rides a 200 and it's too tall and she doesn't like the hit that it has.
I think the X-Trainer would be better...though same problem...even the aftermarket IMS tank is too small.

KTM can be lowered, and the engined d-tuned.

Quote:
As far as the 250x if you haven't rode one it's hard to see what makes it different but I promise you it is nothing like a regular yz250. The engine characteristics are totally different and the suspension is perfect right out of the box. There are 2 of them in our riding group now and the guys just absolutely love them. My only complaint is the 2 gal. Gas tank but it sounds like you will be buying a tank no matter what you get. I suggest you try to find a place where you can try and ride one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have ridden a few aluminum framed YZ's with WR gearing, and some engine work. I guess what Yamaha is doing is what guys have been doing to YZ's for years.

Acerbis makes some decent sized tanks for the Yammies. 3.3 to 6 gallon.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:54 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Get the xtrainer you will love it (and may from time to time let your wife ride it!)
Old 11-15-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bravo View Post
What are the differences besides price between:

GasGas EC300
Beta 300RR
KTM 300 EXC

I've looked around and other than brand loyalty, I'm not seeing a huge difference other than KTM suspension sucks, which is no big deal to me. I would have to have it re-valved and sprung anyways for my weight.
The KTM and GG have more modern seating/ergos, where you sit on the bike. The Betas I rode recently you sit 'in' the bike a little bit, kinda like an older mid 0X Suzuki RM 250 or equivalent. Not worse, just different.
I prefer the ergos of the modern GGs as they fit me like a glove out of the box- I don't have to do a thing. Same with the new Shercos.
The Beta 2ts have an incredibly smooth power delivery, almost ridiculously so.
I've never cared for the stock power delivery on the KTM 2ts. Too much drama - like dealing with a vain, self absorbed teenaged girl.....
Old 11-15-2015, 06:14 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I'm confused....You are a beginning rider, have a 200 and according to your own posts, still struggling with certain situations like mud / technical stuff. Now your looking at 300's, which will be even more difficult for a beginner to ride in those same situations?

No offense but this reminds me of my dealership days, and trying to educate the new riders I referred to as "parking lot pro's". I will explain. A new rider is easily sold on a 450 because of the power he felt while riding his buddies bike up and down the street there in the subdivision. He comes into the dealership, buys this beast of a bike, heads the woods then struggles all day on a machine he isn't ready for. Next thing you see is he has the bike for sale or trades to a SXS or a bass boat.

Yes, I agree that a 300 can sometimes be easier to ride than the 200 (especially in your part of the world) because the rider can get lazy, short shift the bike to stay out of the "hit" and just use the torque to get him up and over the tough stuff, but from what I've read in your posts, your still learning the basics of trail riding.

My advice...keep your 200 for now. Set it up to suit YOU then ride, ride and ride. Perhaps we can meet somewhere and do some riding together. You would be more than welcome to ride my bike, then decide on what you need to do. What is most important is for you to have fun and stay safe.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:18 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3beejay3 View Post
I've never cared for the stock power delivery on the KTM 2ts. Too much drama - like dealing with a vain, self absorbed teenaged girl.....
Awesome. I needed a good laugh this morning!
Old 11-15-2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Overstreet View Post
I'm confused....You are a beginning rider, have a 200 and according to your own posts, still struggling with certain situations like mud / technical stuff. Now your looking at 300's, which will be even more difficult for a beginner to ride in those same situations?

No offense but this reminds me of my dealership days, and trying to educate the new riders I referred to as "parking lot pro's". I will explain. A new rider is easily sold on a 450 because of the power he felt while riding his buddies bike up and down the street there in the subdivision. He comes into the dealership, buys this beast of a bike, heads the woods then struggles all day on a machine he isn't ready for. Next thing you see is he has the bike for sale or trades to a SXS or a bass boat.

Yes, I agree that a 300 can sometimes be easier to ride than the 200 (especially in your part of the world) because the rider can get lazy, short shift the bike to stay out of the "hit" and just use the torque to get him up and over the tough stuff, but from what I've read in your posts, your still learning the basics of trail riding.

My advice...keep your 200 for now. Set it up to suit YOU then ride, ride and ride. Perhaps we can meet somewhere and do some riding together. You would be more than welcome to ride my bike, then decide on what you need to do. What is most important is for you to have fun and stay safe.
I complete agree, there is just one issue.

My bike is a 1999, I am not wanting to put $1000's of dollars into a 16 year old bike. I'm not wanting to buy a new bike "right" now either. I am a through researcher before I spend a large amount of money. Not to mention, I am LARGE, while I am still working on losing weight I am currently ringing the neck of the 200 to get up many of the hills we have locally. Which can't be good for it, thus making me worry about putting more money into a 16 year old bike. The only reason I purchased this bike was to see if I liked to ride dirt as much I liked to ride on the street. I do, I'm hooked for sure now.

While I understand the dealership days thinking, yes I am a beginner. I am not wanting to jump up faster than I think I can handle. I also understand the power of the right wrist. Great example, the other day I laid the bike down twice from loss of power while climbing a technical hill. I either had to clutch the crap out of the bike to get up or hit the hill/rocks to fast and be all over the place to make it up. With the 300, I would have more lower end torque and be able to stay in the sweet spot right before the hit and still make it through the area, call it lazy if you wish. I prefer to call is it safe and controlled.

While I am still looking at a newer bike, this thread is also about me engaging the community on here to see first hand knowledge of these bikes that I like. I am likely 6 months from doing anything, research research research!
Old 11-15-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Overstreet View Post
Perhaps we can meet somewhere and do some riding together.
I would be interested in this. One thing I have learned while shooting Archery on the National stage, always train with people that are better than you! Makes training more focused.

One issue I am finding locally, no one wants to ride with new riders. The can't seem to just stop every 10-15 minutes to let me catch up, when I'm literally only 1-2 minutes behind them. Thus leaves me not riding when I can, because I don't feel comfortable riding alone.

I did however have one guy say "For someone that has only ridden a dirt bike 4 times, your light years ahead of many". So who knows.