Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:14 AM

Default Cold weather and water in the radiator-quick answer please

I'm nice and warm in my bed right now wondering if I need to go the garage and tend to my bike. It is going to get into the single digits tonight which is unusual for our area. I popped a hose at the enduro last weekend and lost all the coolant-the sweep riders filled me up with bottled water to get back. I parked the bike when I got home and it still sits as I left it- straight water in the radiator. I actually went out a few min ago and topped it off with antifreeze but I'm worried about the water pump and head freezing since the antifreeze hasn't been circulated. What would you do? Starting it cause quite a commotion and wake my family and neighbors up.

1- not worry about it and go to sleep (preferred option)
2- turn on garage heater and worry about it later
3- drain all the coolant
4- start it- has to be done
5- let it freeze and crack up, race the 82 KX for the rest of the season. Go to sleep.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:22 AM

Well, I went with option one but failed to take into account I wouldn't be able to sleep worrying about my bike. Cranked up the old space heater. lolr

for future reference it would be good to know if engines like ours can be freeze damaged with straight water, not sure about the actual inner passages, etc.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:43 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Your garage would have to be below freezing for quite a while to really cause a concern. If the inside of your garage is at 20 degrees F overnight (measured) then I would worry. If it's 20 F outside overnight, probably not so much. Another option is to hang a 60w drop light under the engine to provide some warmth, and for best results drape a blanket over the top of the bike with the light underneath.

I have left racebikes out overnight in freezing temps with just water or water wetter in the systems and haven't had any issues. It takes a fair amount of time at freezing (or below) to freeze the water. Not saying it wouldn't happen, but it might take longer than you think.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:26 AM

Just un do the rad cap as it will allow any fee zing water to expanded out of that instead of out the head
Old 02-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bark3rd View Post
for future reference it would be good to know if engines like ours can be freeze damaged with straight water, not sure about the actual inner passages, etc.
I think the simple answer to this is "YES".

It may take som time, but in our area where it's below freezing point for months during winter any engine with straight water would be damaged.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 02-06-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gassergrant View Post
Just un do the rad cap as it will allow any fee zing water to expanded out of that instead of out the head
I totally thought of this but wasn't convinced it would actually work in the system froze solid. I believe a small amount of ice would come out of the radiator cap hole but the ice could still expand enough in other parts of the engine, becoming solid at different times, to cause a problem.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bark3rd View Post
..... the ice could still expand enough in other parts of the engine, becoming solid at different times, to cause a problem.
Correct, different rates of freezing will create internal ice dams. Don't chance it. Drain eveything if you don't have antifreeze on hand.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:16 PM

It's moot now, but I would have pushed her just inside the front door.