Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 04-02-2011, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

I noticed my 300 was a pig on fuel for the first few rides but seems a bit better now.

07 TXT 280
77 TY175

Old 04-03-2011, 12:17 AM

Maybe they have some kind of fancy break-in ignition curves on them. I know some of the newer Snowmobiles are utilizing a rich mixture for the first 5-10 hrs and then they seem to smooth out. I kind of doubt it though.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:45 PM

I just think the engines are tight and need some break in time. Mine seems smoother and faster now.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:28 AM

My 300 got pretty bad mileage at first as well. It is mucho better now. I think it took a good solid 300 miles before it really changed. At first I would get about 13-14 mpg and in the same area my best was 23. I can count on 17 for race pace.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentMartell View Post
My 300 got pretty bad mileage at first as well. It is mucho better now. I think it took a good solid 300 miles before it really changed. At first I would get about 13-14 mpg and in the same area my best was 23. I can count on 17 for race pace.
My 07 300 got 23mpg as well when easy trail riding. The gas mileage went down when I installed a CCK needle then went back up after Ron Black did his magic on my carb and head. I suspect my trail mileage is about 25 per gallon now. I have gotten as high as 33mpg but that included a lot of 6th gear cruising at high altitudes in Colorado.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:31 PM

At first I was pretty concerned about the mileage issue. However, I could get 100 miles on 3 gallons on my KTM 300 in the woods in Idaho. In the desert and racing, like I am right now, I could only get 50. My gg seems to be getting better mileage in the same circumstances so far than the KTM. I know this is not proven but I am thinking my gg will be really close to my KTM for trail riding MPG. I will be super pumped if that is the case. Indications point to 60-70 mile desert rides and 80-100 woods without packing gas on a 3 gallon tank.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:45 PM

Default A girls first ride on 2011 ec300 e-start set up for me

So i thought i would tack this on to your thread since there are a lot of first ride threads.Please do not be offended!
2011 ec300 e-start to begin with
Added:
*suspension done by Single Track Mind,
Forks-stage 1 magic service,re-valve for my weight(160) and riding style ( female,moderate/fast trail riding in colorado high country),lower forks 2 inches using internal spacer,new fluid.Shock-revalve as for fork ,lower 2 inches using spacer.
*124mm lowering link( yes, i'm nearly a midget)
*Moose contour handguards with EE plastic deflectors.
*Scorpian aluminum skidplate
*Scorpian radiator cages
*Moose aluminum pipe gaurd
*Trail tech Vapor computer
*Gas Gas underfender/license plate holder, chopped at the line
*Gas Gas Tail light- very expensive and very nice
* moved the bars to the farthest back position
*Economy horn
* Gas Gas white radiator shrouds- just like white bikes
*State of Colorado registration and license plate $$ but necessary in CO for high country trail to trail riding.
4/3/11
I got to ride my bike in nebraska at the site of the 2010 RMEC enduro of the year- Harrisberg/Kimball enduro enduro site. A garden of eden for a die hard trail rider- mostly single track through canyons&meadows. It was about 40 degrees with light snow and little wind. My big problem was the fact that i tore several pieces of my rotator cuff 6 weeks before and i had to really make a concious effort to ride in a restrained fashion. My husband was nice enough to ride with me instead of going with the rest of our group- Thanks Neal!
I had ridden the bike on the street a little bit but this was the first time on real dirtbike terrain.The e-start got it going in one button push- color me surprised! My KLX450 took forever to start! I was immediatly impressed with the smoothness and power of the engine,The front wheel just wanted to hover in the air but i coaxed it down.The seat to peg distance is good for me and standing with the stock bars is exacly what i am comfortable with-i usually stand about 75% of the time.I found out quickly that i would need to sit for this ride, my shoulder was having nothing to do with standing!The seat is hard but actually quite comfortable,not as cushy as the KLX450 but not as hard as my husbands old KTM EXC200 - just right goldilocks!
We dropped into a canyon which has single-track threaded through it, not super technical but attention getting with some steep ascents and descents, and tight turns. The 300 is the best steering machine i've ever been on! All i had to do was think about the turn- practically no effort to keep it on track, my shoulder was thanking me for this bike! The climbing ability is spectacular too, that thing just motors up with little slippage-trials bike heritage very apparent here!( i should know we have a GG trials bike and a Pampera).I really like the Metzler tires- they did everything very well- i will keep them on until they are worn out( usually i replace the rear with a Pirelli DOT Trials tire).
I rode in the "rain " mode- a good choice since the snow became pretty thick, I found that this setting was just fine- i liked the throttle response and power delivery. The power seems endless- i was never wanting for more and the bike did not tire me out like my KLX450 would have. It feels light, steers light,turns like a mountain bike.We rode an easy winding section of trail about a dozen times in a row so i could concentrate on how the bike was handling,with the snow we had a good section of mud trail going, the handling in the slick stuff was superb- the easy to control power kept me from doing a lot of useless tire spinning- but still let me break free enough to throw big wads of mud at my husband who was following me!
We headed back to the truck and went through a rolling meadow, i was able to open the bike up and see how it handled at higher speed. It is very stable at speed- i did not feel the need for a steering stabilizer but i was taking it easy. The re-valve job made hitting ruts and holes no problem Thanks Dave! Got back to the truck with no additional damage to the shoulder- didn't even tweak it! I spent a lot of time talking about how much i loved the bike and how this might be my perfect bike- Hubby had to ride it, he liked it but having the suspension done for me kind of wrecked it for him- he really appreciated the power and light feel of the front end though. I am looking forward to getting to ride this bike when i am at 100% It is crazy fun !

"No one expects the spanish inquisition"
2011 GG xc300
GG TXT 321 trials
Guzzi V7
Old 04-08-2011, 10:45 AM

Mudwasp, no problem posting here, but now I will return the favor!

I had a long days ride in the Mojave desert last weekend (Jawbone Canyon) and was able to put the 2011 300 6-days through some tough tests. I had to re-jet for the higher altitude and I installed new tires (Bridgestones with heavy duty tubes). I also installed the Pro Taper YZ footpegs and an extended Hammerhead shift lever.

The bike performed flawlessly and had more than enough power for the gigantic hill climbs. There was a lot of technical single track riding that I usually lack the technique to do well on, but I did much better on this bike than any of my other bikes in the past. The suspension may be too stiff for me (I'm still undecided on this) but the motor and lightweight handling are perfect. I'm concerned about the gas mileage and I'm experimenting with new jets and re-routing of the float bowl overflow tube to limit the loss when the bike is tilted.

I've since ordered a steering damper and am still waiting for my P3 pipe guard which is now 3 weeks late. I'm holding off on a larger tank until I'm sure I can get one that fits.

Here's a couple photos, including one of me falling down at the end of a long day. I could really use that pipe guard!
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steve_Hillclimb2.jpg (63.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg JB_7.jpg (126.4 KB, 61 views)
Old 04-08-2011, 11:43 PM

Thumbs up

That is a most excellent picture of your get off-Nice bike!

"No one expects the spanish inquisition"
2011 GG xc300
GG TXT 321 trials
Guzzi V7
Old 04-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Mudwasp, have you tried the CCK carb needle from Sudco.com ?
I rode my GG last weekend after a Winter's layoff, with (1/2 race gas
and a 32:1 mix) and was in heaven with the bike, I'd forgotten just how
much I like it.

Jeff in Tahoe