Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:59 PM

Default Update of today's progress

Just a quick update on the jetting situation, so I re set the float , I have changed the needle to a N1EG its just a test until the JD kit arrives, also put the clip on No2 position and finally put a 40 pilot in, I went out for a try out and noticed a marked improvement 1 . pulls clean from idle, mid range was nice and snappy, no more banging when shut off on decents...
I am just a bit concerned on the colour of plug when I can back only did about 8 miles of mixed riding fast open and then dropped on to a little mx track near me and did a few laps...

https://www.flickr.com/gp/143285930@N08/LLV5ah

Old 10-27-2018, 01:27 PM

I don't think you've done enough miles to get a good reading on the plug, but even if you have, to be honest I only use plug readings for checking the Main Jet size after completing a 'Plug Chop'.

You've put an 8 spark plug back in haven't you?

I suspect that even with the N1EG needle and standard main jet you're still pretty rich and not running dangerously lean. Pretty sure it'll be fine to run like that until your JD kit arrives.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with the JD kit. I got a price from Advantage Offroad for the JD kit... 85 GBP without p&p. Bit too pricey for me.

I'm running the N1EG needle at the moment, it's working well but going to see if I can improve it further, going to try the Suzuki NE** needle, probably a NECW or NECJ, about 10 GBP each.

Unfortunately I won't be able to try it until next spring, going back to the UK for Christmas, then off to India for 3 months, won't be back home to my bikes until April 2019.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davehuge View Post
I don't think you've done enough miles to get a good reading on the plug, but even if you have, to be honest I only use plug readings for checking the Main Jet size after completing a 'Plug Chop'.

You've put an 8 spark plug back in haven't you?

I suspect that even with the N1EG needle and standard main jet you're still pretty rich and not running dangerously lean. Pretty sure it'll be fine to run like that until your JD kit arrives.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with the JD kit. I got a price from Advantage Offroad for the JD kit... 85 GBP without p&p. Bit too pricey for me.

I'm running the N1EG needle at the moment, it's working well but going to see if I can improve it further, going to try the Suzuki NE** needle, probably a NECW or NECJ, about 10 GBP each.

Unfortunately I won't be able to try it until next spring, going back to the UK for Christmas, then off to India for 3 months, won't be back home to my bikes until April 2019.

Hi Dave ye I have put a 8 back in ??? where is the bst place to get a suzuki needle from ? 85 is a bit steep, I what do you think about leaving the 40 pilot in ??? I cannot make my mind up...
Old 10-27-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrquick View Post
Hi Dave ye I have put a 8 back in ??? where is the bst place to get a suzuki needle from ? 85 is a bit steep, I what do you think about leaving the 40 pilot in ??? I cannot make my mind up...

Just found the suzuki needle NECW ?18.00 from bekers world in Birmingham, should be with me for tuesday...
Old 10-27-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrquick View Post
Just found the suzuki needle NECW ?18.00 from bekers world in Birmingham, should be with me for tuesday...
Once you get the NECW needle in, see what's happening with the 40 Pilot, if it's within the 1 to 2 turns out range then it's fine.

Let us know how you get on with it...
Old 10-29-2018, 05:11 PM

Hi guys its not a jetting question but what gear oil are we using I am confused what to put in ????????
Old 10-29-2018, 05:22 PM

Haha, get ready for 101 different answers!

Manual specifies 10w30 or 5w40, that's fine. No need to go overboard buying expensive fully synthetic engine oil, just a good quality mineral oil or semi synthetic will he fine.

That's my opinion!
Old 10-29-2018, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davehuge View Post
Haha, get ready for 101 different answers!

Manual specifies 10w30 or 5w40, that's fine. No need to go overboard buying expensive fully synthetic engine oil, just a good quality mineral oil or semi synthetic will he fine.

That's my opinion!
I like to splurge and buy a decent ATF, type F. synthetic. Works out reasonable. Lasts a good time between changes, and has been designed to work with everything you find in a wet transmission! Hard to go wrong.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
I like to splurge and buy a decent ATF, type F. synthetic. Works out reasonable. Lasts a good time between changes, and has been designed to work with everything you find in a wet transmission! Hard to go wrong.

I am going to give the ATF a try, I have run loads of classic bikes on it and never had a issue, thanks guys
Old 10-29-2018, 05:50 PM

I'm sure the ATF will be fine.

Unlike other 2 strokes I've had, on the GasGas the gearbox box oil gets contaminated with spooge and carbon from the power valve/exhaust valve via the hole the exhaust valve linkage comes up through (right side power valve cover).

Because of this I prefer to use a cheaper oil and change it more often, rather than an expensive oil and leave it in there longer, just my personal preference.

This is what I use, bought from the supermarket here in France. However, you must remember my bike's a well used 2004 model, everything's quite loose, unlike your nice, shiny, new bike!

Also, I'm a fair weather rider, it's usually 25 to 35 degrees Celsius when I'm out!

All the best, Dave.

Oi.jpg

Last edited by Davehuge; 10-30-2018 at 03:27 AM.