Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:05 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Experience bleeding left hand rear brake?

Has anybody done this? It is so far very difficult to get the air bubble out of the foot master cylinder. This is the dual actuated system, so I am adding the LHRB to the foot brake. This is the Rekluse kit, the instructions are easy, but in practice, it's not happening.

OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs

Old 12-29-2009, 05:17 PM

Have you tried pushing in fluid from the bottom up?
Old 12-30-2009, 08:59 PM

I have the dual brakes also. The Rekluse kit hose is a little too long and fitting that connects to the foot brake is at such and angle it want to make a hump in the hose to catch air.

Did you put the o-ring in the sleeve that go's into the foot cylinder? The one Rekluse set me was too large and would end up cutting it trying to install the sleeve into the cylinder.

For bleeding I ended up removing the hand brake from the bar but leave the hose connected.

Suspend the hand brake up in the air so the hose is close to vertical.

Pump in the brake fluid from the rear caliper bleeder screw until the air is purged.

Lower the hand brake horizontal enough to fill with fluid and install cap.
Remount hand brake to the bar.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:59 PM

Thanks for the tips. All the air appears to be out of the system. I have pushed about a full bottle of DOT 4 through the system. There's no air bubble in the sight glass anymore, and I've bled every junction, including the brake light switch.
The hand brake takes a pull all the way to the bar to lock the wheel, and the plunger is slow to return. This is the mineral oil stock clutch MC, and I'm thinking it's a no no to use it with DOT 4, and hoping it's my problem. I'm getting pretty frustrated.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 01-01-2010, 08:31 PM

I does not matter on the Foot MC if there is an air bubble in there of not. The sleeve that go's inside with the oring at the bottom should be sealing the pressure out of the MC reservoir other wise when you pulled the hand brake the sight glass could pop out.
Can you feel the sight glass flexing if you pull the hand brake?
Does the rear brake pedal have the return spring hooked up? The rear MC can not be compressed at all other wise when you pull the hand brake the rear MC will have to extend out before pressure is applied to the caliper.

The AJP MC that I got from Rekluse looked just like the stock clutch MC. I believe the only reason they put Minerial Oil Only on the cover is so if you and a clutch slave cylinder leak you would not put brake fluid into the trans. I have been running the Bel Ray Dot 5 for years and have had no problems.

You might try now to bleed the conventional way just to double check for no air. And when you do make sure you push the hand brake lever all the out away from the bar. Every once and awhile you can get a small bubble there also.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:34 PM

If your MC is the mineral oil unit, then I'm sure I"m still dealing with air in the system. It's in the upper end though, because the foot portion feels fantastic. It is returned all the way, so I don't think we're dealing with that. It looks as though there's just not much pressure in the upper system because the piston in the master cylinder doesn't return all the way, and I have to pull it out with needle nosed pliers. If I could get a good seal on the caliper, I'd back bleed it, but every time I introduce air. So, it looks like I'll take your advice and bleed it normally, and use my 10' clear hose to pump it back in. I'll post back my results. I've already spent over 12 hours on it, so I'm commited to the stupid thing. Maybe I should be committed to the funny farm.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 01-02-2010, 08:47 AM

roost,

I suspect most of your problem may be with the rear OEM foot master cyl as far as bleeding goes. Its almost impossible to back bleed. Remove the nipple and use teflon tape on the threads, to seal air leaks. Use a syringe with a plastic tube, and with a hard pull on it crack the fitting. Repeat until no air in tube.

The AJC masters appear the same but must have different seal rubber compounds for DOT3/4 vs mineral oil. Has anyone checked part #s on this? I would think installing the rubber components from an older master would solve this. I know using oil in the older DOT 3/4 systems makes quick work of the seals and resevoir cap bladder (swells bad), as my nephew has done it.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:47 PM

Apparrently it's okay to put DOT 4 into a cyl with mineral oil seals, but not the other way around. Still, I'm going to be searching for a seal kit. I found it at AJP America, but no price. At least it's available.

Today I was able to make the thing usable, I'm going to be back bleeding it several times over the next few days, because it has produced several more tiny little air bubbles at the top MC. Just pushing on the caliper and bottoming it out, then slowly, ever so slowly pumping it back up with the hand has produced the results I've hoped for. I still wish it would lock the brake a little further from the bar, but it's definitely usable. Perhaps riding it and bouncing around with break some more bubbles loose too.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 01-03-2010, 06:31 AM

You mite try holding the lever to the bare with a zipty over night and tapping on the line when you pass by to get your favorite adult beverage .This has worked for me in the past.

I do not know if it is the same but when I was over on CRFSonly everyone that put a LHB said they had to really pull the lever to get it to lock the wheel.

02 EC 200
03 MC 250
88 VT 800
01 TXT 280
Old 01-03-2010, 01:58 PM

I've been having a nightmare with this too. I'm pretty sure there's no air in the lines. The foot brake works the same as it ever did but the hand brake comes back to the bar without enough force to lock the wheel when riding. Interestingly if I apply the foot brake everything goes solid and works including the hand brake! Not sure what's going on, it's as if using the hand only causes something in the foot brake to give dissipating the pressure. I have bled it every way possible, as they advise, forward, backwards and with a vacuum. Still doesn't work properly.

I noticed when I had the bike on it's side a bubble shows up in the foot m/c window. In theory this should be outside the circuit but I'm wondering about it. Is it normal that applying the foot brake puts pressure up to the hand brake?