Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 03-25-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancp5 View Post
Qui-gon,

That's really useful to both of us but one bit doesn't seem logical;

"The only things that bring the pump etc back on is either turning off the ignition switch and back on ( soft reset of the ECU) or as Bergerhag says, the pickup sensor being triggered by rotating the engine by kick or electric starter."

How is fuel pressure maintained when in a running or waiting to start?
If I may, When engine is running fuel pump operation is maintained by pickup trigger signal being active (crank sensor sees engine rotation). In a 'wait to start' situation fuel pressure is maintained from the initial 2 second key on prime and unless injector (or other connection) is bleeding pressure down, then fuel pressure stays active even though pump doesn't run. The 2 second prime at key on is to build pressure back to spec IF there is a loss during sitting idle with engine off.
While this is probably not Vinny's problem it could be yours. Vinny has a 'no spark' situation. I understand the operation of basic ECU operation for fuel injection and I sure wish Vinny was closer because I know I could sort it out even though there are several things involved. And it appears Qui-gon has an ECU pin out.
Fuel injection is simple even in it's complexity. Does that make sense? Hope I helped

2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro

Old 03-25-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1956 View Post
If I may, When engine is running fuel pump operation is maintained by pickup trigger signal being active (crank sensor sees engine rotation). In a 'wait to start' situation fuel pressure is maintained from the initial 2 second key on prime and unless injector (or other connection) is bleeding pressure down, then fuel pressure stays active even though pump doesn't run. The 2 second prime at key on is to build pressure back to spec IF there is a loss during sitting idle with engine off.
While this is probably not Vinny's problem it could be yours. Vinny has a 'no spark' situation. I understand the operation of basic ECU operation for fuel injection and I sure wish Vinny was closer because I know I could sort it out even though there are several things involved. And it appears Qui-gon has an ECU pin out.
Fuel injection is simple even in it's complexity. Does that make sense? Hope I helped
Thanks for all the info. I have plenty to look into w/ your suggestions. I cant thank the forum enough.
If I cant get it sorted I might just drive to Arkansas to get it fixed.......good excuse to do some trails there
Old 03-26-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Thanks for all the info. I have plenty to look into w/ your suggestions. I cant thank the forum enough.
If I cant get it sorted I might just drive to Arkansas to get it fixed.......good excuse to do some trails there
Come on Vinny, I've got 300 acres of trails out the back door!
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 03-28-2011, 08:21 AM

Fred,

Are you saying; while engine is turning the fuel pump is running constantly? When you switch on only but do not start, it just runs for a second or two to pressurize the line?
I "assumed" (for no particular reason ) that it ran only when fuel pressure dropped.

Thanks
Old 03-28-2011, 08:48 AM

The pump will run at all times while the engine is running. Same with your car.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 03-28-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostby View Post
The pump will run at all times while the engine is running. Same with your car.
This is true in most systems, some do have a bypass or return line others are 'closed loop' systems. In a car system, I believe, it is as much a safety item as anything (if engine dies in a collision and fuel lines rupture you could have a fuel pump spraying fuel at a rapid rate) where on a motorcycle it is equally about conserving battery voltage. All the systems will be live with engine running and sending RPM signal of some kind to the ECU
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 03-30-2011, 01:40 AM

Default Magneti mirelli ?

This might be a stupid question :

Would a '02 CDI (Magneti Mirelli IAV 15P) work on my bike ('05 FSE 450). Looked it up and its the same number from '08 on down.

I havent had a chance to pick up the bike. I started looking for used parts that I might need. Found this one in Germany:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...E:B:EF:DE:1123

I also would like to find a spark plug wire for an '05 450 . I looked on the GoFaster web site but couldnt figure out the part number / price.

Any assist would be appreciated.

I'll be getting into the bike Friday.

Vinny
Old 03-30-2011, 03:01 AM

Hey Vinny, did U look into those two small relays that GMP mentioned? Nick is the Guru on the GG 450's here. The first thing he recommended was to replace the stock ones with the Napa brand AR614. They will fail, and I remember Nick saying, if the bike won't start, just switch them around. That U only need the one to keep the bike running.
It would be worth a try if U haven't done this yet. Good luck.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 03-30-2011, 03:34 AM

[QUOTE=flybars;60424]Hey Vinny, did U look into those two small relays that GMP mentioned? Nick is the Guru on the GG 450's here. The first thing he recommended was to replace the stock ones with the Napa brand AR614. They will fail, and I remember Nick saying, if the bike won't start, just switch them around. That U only need the one to keep the bike running.
It would be worth a try if U haven't done this yet. Good luck.[/QUOTE

Its on the to do list as soon as I get it home from my useless GG dealer here in Austin.
Thanks.
Vinny
Old 03-30-2011, 03:53 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
This might be a stupid question :

Would a '02 CDI (Magneti Mirelli IAV 15P) work on my bike ('05 FSE 450). Looked it up and its the same number from '08 on down.

I havent had a chance to pick up the bike. I started looking for used parts that I might need. Found this one in Germany:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...E:B:EF:DE:1123

I also would like to find a spark plug wire for an '05 450 . I looked on the GoFaster web site but couldnt figure out the part number / price.

Any assist would be appreciated.

I'll be getting into the bike Friday.

Vinny
Since you have a '05 there will be no ordinary spark plug wire. You should have the coil-on-plug setup, and the wiring harness plugs right into the coil(which is incorporated in the spark plug cap).