Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:55 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Fuel filter

Just putting this out there for a fyi. Was experiencing some bogging on the last cool ride. Long story short, seems my in-line fuel filter was chocking the fuel supply. Makes sense, it was only over a year old! �� Swap out those filters! ...or don't run one, which is the route I'm tring out.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:01 PM

Yeah, just had the same problem at the enduro today.
Good practice to change them out sooner.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:31 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

interesting this post came up. I was removing my shock last night and a slight tug on my fuel line snapped the fuel filter, luckily this happened in the workshop rather than the bush!

I don't think i will replace it, i figure the sieves in the tank should do a good enough job
Old 03-23-2015, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator

If you've had enough crap end up in the filter after a year, what do you expect to happen in the next year?? It'll either end up in the carb or the engine.. easier to replace filters I think..
Old 03-23-2015, 03:05 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
If you've had enough crap end up in the filter after a year, what do you expect to happen in the next year?? It'll either end up in the carb or the engine.. easier to replace filters I think..
true, but the thing is that my fuel filter looks pretty clean! i was using the visufilter

http://www.itw-fastex-cva.com/images...23-00-9909.PDF

I think better fuel adding parctices are possibly better than a filter - making sure that you never pour in the dregs of your fuel can after mixing, letting it stand a while after mixing, and ensuring your funnel is clean
Old 03-23-2015, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator

Same as mine Matt (except I use a straight one instead of L shape). Ime I agree with you, best to try and keep clean fuel going in, however when I refill at some remote-ish servos' its hard to know just how good that fuel is coming out the line.

I haven't had one bloke up on the Gasser yet, but can see how they could get a bit brittle with time.. Then again, so does the fuel line itself.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:09 AM

im always careful of the wind when im mixing and refilling as a gust can whip fine dust into your tank,gascan,or oil measure pretty quick and its the finest grit that will make it through to engine.flexi spouts left outside of gascans make great dust traps too.gravity fed systems aren't so bad as the filter will just block and starve engine,annoying but not critical IMO.with pressurized fuel though as the filter blocks the same volume of fuel gets forced through a ever decreasing space,raising press on filter medium,which in extreme cases can begin to fail and then crud gets forced down the line...not great for injection systems
higher quality filters will take much finer contaminants out,the catch is they clog faster.if its blocking once a year its doin a good job and proves its worth.if it stayed clean for years it would prove its uselessness!
Old 03-23-2015, 09:23 AM

Mine started leaking pretty bad during a ride out in the middle of the woods last fall, was less than a year old. Made it back to the truck. No filter since, I'd rather take my chances without one. If all I rode was desert, then maybe it would be a different story.

'08 EC250 and some other bikes.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:47 PM

Just had a proper look at the broken filter and I take back all I said. My high-and-mighty sermon about proper mixing of fuel etc.
I will post some pics tomorrow from my laptop - there is a sandpit in there!!
Old 03-31-2015, 04:12 PM

Just a quick fix on the trail, I always have a fuel cap vent hose long enough to replace fuel line/fuel filter. Easy cure for a cut line or leaking/plugged filter.