Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:18 PM

Default 2001 EC300 Headlight won't work

Hey all,

I've got a 2001 EC300 which I have only recently purchased.

I have a problem where my headlight won't work.
some of the electrics weren't fitted to the bike when i bought it but i now have everything fitted and everything works except for the headlight.

There are 3 wires which go to the headlight bulb - green/yellow (earth), blue (high or low beam) white (high or low beam)

I know the green/yellow is earth but when i get a standard bulb which i know works and hook the green/yellow wire to earth on the globe and then either the blue or white wire to either of the terminals on the bulb, I get no light!

I'm thinking maybe i have a faulty light switch so was going to try and bypass the switch.

Is this a good step to take from here and how do i do it?

My manual doesn't have a wiring diagram and I don't know where to get one from so i don't know what wires do what in the harness leading up to the headlight switch.

The other strange thing is that the little tiny parker light which sits in the rubber grommet in the headlight shell works just the actual headlight doesn't?

Old 03-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Gas Gas color code doesn't follow what makes sense to me. Green is always Earth in my world. BUT, unless you know for sure, I wouldn't assume that. Your best bet is to get a multimeter and check. If the bulb is good (should be able to see if it's good by looking at the elements) I'd bet that the white wire is earth ground. You only have three options, try all the combinations. Your switch could be bad, again, a multimeter would tell you.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 03-12-2010, 04:49 AM

thanks for the reply roosta fish

The green/yellow is definitely earth as i have checked it with a test light.

My problem is that the white wire and the blue wire which are for high and low beam have no power.

There is a good chance the switch is the problem as the button that you use to change between high and low beam is broken.

My problem is, i don't know how to bypass the switch to test this?
Old 03-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Bexi,
Find a wire with your test light that has power then just connect it with a spare piece of wire to your globe while the earth is connected to the chassis.
The globe should light up.
You could always pull the switcblock off and check where the power is getting to.There are wiring diagrams on here in this site if you search too.
Cheers Mark
Old 03-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

More than likely, the voltage regulator could be bad.
I had the same problem on my 2001 GG, I switched to a MOOSE brand regulator and never had anymore issues.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:01 PM

Yellow with Green stripe should be your hot wire. If you are using a ohmmeter or continuity tester to determine it is ground it is probably reading through the coils or something.

Yellow with green stripe is the hot lead for both mine and my kids bike. BUT, solid yellow is used for ground at some points.
Here is a generic schematic that pretty much holds true for our bikes..
http://www.gasgasrider.org/gallery//...13&limit=views
Do a search for "schematic" or "diagram", there are a couple members on this board that have supplied some really good wiring diagrams and they're here somewhere.
BTW, mine and my kids don't have headlamp switches on the handlebar. We both have the abbreviated wire harnesses with a toggle switch behind (attached to) the front number plate/headlamp.

One last thing, these are AC systems so make sure your DVM isn't set to DC. You will need the correct AC bulb also.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 03-12-2010, 06:15 PM

here is a great writeup from MattR from the "technical" link on the home page..
http://www.gasgasrider.org/html/headlight___horn.html

May help you some.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 03-13-2010, 02:46 AM

Hey all,

I took off the headlight switch block off the handlebars today and checked some wires for power.

There's power going into the switchblock but none coming out via the high beam or low beam wires.

I bridged the connections inside the switch with a paper clip and voila!... headlights worked.

So it is confirmed ... a dodgy switch... I will by a new aftermarket switchblock and wire it in and all will be sweet.

Thanks for your help guys, especially the wiring diagrams
Old 03-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Before you do just try cleaning the contacts that are involved .
They may be corrroded.
Cheers Mark
Old 03-13-2010, 11:12 PM

the knob that you push forward and backwards to change between high/low beam has snapped off anyway so i need to replace the whole switchblock assembly anyway

thanks anyway