Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:55 AM

Default New (to us) 2007 EC200 Seize - what to do?

Hello everyone (my first post). First, thanks for this site and info.

We had been looking for a bike for trails that both me and my 15 yr son could ride on trails. About a week and half ago, we found a 07 EC200 in our price range and after doing some research decided to get it. The bike looked to be in nice shape. The only thing I noticed was a lot of spooge on the pipe and also around the exhaust/head springs. The owner said he mixed the gas at 30-32:1 with non-syn. oil and liked to see that. Another thing was the carb. dripped when we got back from riding in the yard, but only when leaned on the kickstand. Owner said it did this until warmed up.

I should say that we don't ride much, but I have been on bikes and atvs since a young kid and done medium repairs over the years.

My son was really ready to ride, so I took a vacation day, mix 40:1 (syn.) oil/gas and loaded up. My plan was to ride it easy and us check it out on the trails, then see what was up with the carb. drip.

I did my normal warm up (~4-5 min) on it, but then had an issue with another bike, so shut it off. After about 15 min's, started it back up for a couple of mins and my son was took it out to head to the trail. He said he was in 3rd gear and wide open and it just stopped (no sounds or sputtering, etc.), when I got to him the kick starter was locked, but I could move it in N. It has a Rekluse clutch, which allowed him to coast to a stop.

I will make some more posts to show what we are doing and trying to figure out. This pic is the most telling I think, but will post others.

Any help or advise will be appreciated very much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exh. view.JPG (75.7 KB, 43 views)

Old 11-24-2018, 06:10 AM

More pics of what we have seen so far.

What we are trying to figure out:
1. what caused this (too cold, ran too long at high rpm not fully warmed up, 40:1 syn. mix, something from the leaky carb., etc.???)
2. whether we should break into the engine on our own or take it to someone (there is a service shop local, but haven't talked to them yet) or should we go ahead and removed the head, then decide whether to take it or not
3. what else should we check as we go

4. Last, but not least, what is this going to cost us?

thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rt side.JPG (104.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg aft exh remove.JPG (103.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg plug.JPG (38.4 KB, 30 views)
Old 11-24-2018, 06:13 AM

Also, looking for any advice on the best service manual that might help us if we go into the engine.

(more pics)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil drain plug.JPG (20.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg lft p v.JPG (94.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg rt p v.JPG (85.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 11-24-2018, 06:30 AM

Sounds like it could be one of the bolts holding the counterweights on the crankshafts that might have backed out and locking the crank.

Take the topend off and look for a M6 allen head bolt between the crankweights.

This happened to my 2004 EC200 a couple of years ago. I stopped the engine and the next time i tried to kickstart it the crank was locked. Heard it have happened on some other 200's too.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:06 AM

I will look for any backed out bolts, but thinking it was the piston/rings since we saw metal shavings on the plug.

After we got the plug out we were able to un-seize it by turning the back wheel backwards.

Thinking we may drain the coolant and start removing the head today.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:27 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default 200

Post a photo of the pipe, my bet is was heavily damaged (bent) , The Oil looks like it hasn't been changed in a while. Everything else looks ok so far, read up on removing the lock nut on the right side power valve prior to removing. my bet its a hung ring.

Last edited by john r b; 11-24-2018 at 07:28 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 11-24-2018, 11:56 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

You won't know what it will cost until you pull it apart. It could just be bad timing and no maintenance on an old bike. They are reliable bikes but 2007 was a long time ago.

That said I've only just done the crank on my 07.

Very easy to pull apart. Read up, watch some YouTube and give it a go.

It does absorb time so a bakeshop will have to charge for that time if you give them a complete engine. Better to give them a crank to rebuild for example.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 11-24-2018, 08:32 PM

Spent some more time on it today and got the top off.

More pics of what we saw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pipe.JPG (96.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg top cyldr.JPG (58.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg pstn lft.JPG (32.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg pstn rt.JPG (33.5 KB, 28 views)
Old 11-24-2018, 08:39 PM

I was thinking it might be the piston or rings, but they and cylinder look ok.

Then we found that the bottom is still bound, shown in the second pic below.

Not sure what we are going to do from here, getting to this point is pretty good for us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cyldr wall.JPG (59.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg shaft.JPG (53.8 KB, 37 views)
Old 11-24-2018, 09:49 PM

That?s a Bummer. Without hearing it run before the failure it?s hard to say. Definitely a lot of heat on that crank at some point. The excessive oil all over is not exactly a crisp running machine. That engine oil was pretty dirty also. Probably all still original parts and like stated 07 was a long time ago. You guys may be able to tear down the motor completely to save some money and have it built back up by a professional. That way you?ll know it was done correctly.
Good luck.

Ghost