Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 02-24-2009, 03:48 PM

Default 450fse tuning

Hi all, I have an 03 450fse, need to do a bit of tuning, i have the MDST v1.7 software plus the serial cable with the little grey box on it , when i run the software it gives the error no hardware key, can anyone give me any advise where i am going wrong?

Old 02-25-2009, 02:53 AM

With the Technoresarch VDSTS you can get two versions of software. A pro version or a standard version. The standard version just requires the correct cable and adaptor box to work. The pro version needs a dongle or hardware key to work. The software maybe looking for that.

If you think the software and cable are compatible then the first thing to check in the program is that you have the correct com port selected. On the menu bar select "communication", then select "Port setting" and set the port number of the serial port you are using.

Then to check if the programe is connecting to the cable, go to "Veiw" on the tool bar and click on "Vehicle Interface cable properties". These menus are in my version of software and as yours is probably earlier the names and position of menu commands my be dfferent.

If you want you can download the latest version of software from the Technoresearch site, for free.

Hope this helps, Stu
Old 02-26-2009, 12:50 AM

hi stu, tried what you suggested, but still no joy, downloaded the one from technoresearch , ports configured ok, nothing shows up on the test apart from it telling me to turn ignition off hten on., struggling with the sentinel drivers i think
Old 03-04-2009, 12:42 PM

Hi JJ,
bummer that what I said didn't help. You will need to go through and check the basics. Does your computer have a serial comms port or is it going through a USB to serial adaptor?

It would pay to check the comm port set up in your computer's "Device Manager". Make sure the port is there and working and also what com port number it is. Then make sure that the VDSTS is set to this com port. Some of the USB to serial adaptors are not always compatable with some devices.

When I got my cable I had a problem with it not communicating, but that turned out to be the wires between the ECU and the Tecnoresearch box being crossed over. I could see my box in the software but it didn't communicate with the bike. Spent time & money a some long distance phone calls to Technoresearch but eventually figured it out myself. I don't think yours is the same problem though.

If all else fails you my need to ring Techno and talk it through with them.

Cheers Stu
Old 03-05-2009, 11:48 AM

thanks stu, i have been in contact with technoresearch via email, but they are slow replying, com ports set up ok, the software cannot even see the dongle attached to the serial port,
quick question, if you have the standard version do you need to load in the sentinel drivers?
Old 03-08-2009, 12:48 PM

The older versions will not work under XP or Vista.
I cannot remember which version I have (not in USA at the moment so cant check) but it requires a win95 or win98 OS to allow the sentinel crap to install properly. The version I have requires a parallel port for the dongle (hardware key) and a serial port for the cable.
The cable I have has an extra socket at the bike end to supply power to the el cheapo interface convertor built in the serial plug. This is there because some PCs (especially laptops) cannot supply enough power through the serial port to run the level convertor. Worth a check maybe?
Hope it helps
Old 03-08-2009, 01:48 PM

excellent reply, i am missing the parallel hardware dongle/key, crap, anyone got one for sale?
or can anyone tell me whats in it?
Old 03-09-2009, 01:14 AM

Hi JJ
sorry for a delayed reply, been a bit busy lately. Have you been able to identifiy if the cable you have is a standard version or a pro version? Also another thing to check is that it is not a Palm only cable. A PC cable will only work on a pc and the palm only cable will work only on a a palm, but there are cables that will work on both. So it is important to identify which type you have.

The VDSTS software I have installed on my Eee PC laptop (running XP) is a standard version. I have checked through the control Panel - add/remove program commands and ithas not loaded sentinal protection installer. My Toshiba laptop running Vista has the sentinal protector software on it still as I had Direct link software on it which needs a different cable and dongle to run.

Reading Qui-gon's post has given me a reminder, did you have your cable powered up with 12v dc on the 2 battery clips. If not powered up the cable will not show up as being connected.

Hope we solve this soon for you.

Cheers Stu
Old 03-09-2009, 01:33 AM

hi stu, thanks for reply, yes i have been connecting the croc clips, i think that it is quite an old cable because of the version of software i have with it (MDST v1.7).
i have spoke to technoresearch and they have confirmed that this cable wont work with the newer software, however it still should work with old, i have not got a parrellel port dongle and i think that is what i am missing to get it to work.
thanks
Old 03-09-2009, 04:40 AM

You will need the parallel port dongle to make it work. It is a very crude (and somewhat outdated) method of preventing software theft. You can copy the program as many times as you like but it wont work unless the dongle is plugged in.

Depending on how technical you are there are a number of articles on the net regarding hacking the program code to remove the need for the hardware key. I am probably crossing a line here but try searching under "woodman","sentinel", or "hasp". It can be a long and tedious process and in this case hardly worth it to check out a few parameters and adjust 1 setting.

Easiest way is to probably cough up the extortionate amount of bucks and get the latest version and lead.