Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:11 PM

Default Do I need to remove my cool cable choke from my new Gasser????

Stupid question. I love the choke on the handlebar like it is. But do I have to worry in a muddy race something may happen and cause a DNF????????????? What have you all done?????????????

Old 02-13-2013, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

I removed it. It always had a bit of slop at the lever, and the terrain I ride means lots of vines, plants, branches, etc slapping against the bike and there was nothing worse than having something pull the choke and stall the bike or load it up.

I never really encountered any issues often, but considering I only use the choke for around 30seconds in the morning when I first start the bike I don't see any advantage or need to have it on the bars where it can cause issues.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:25 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I like it too.
And have left mine in place for 2 seasons, no issues. Just keep the cable maintained and routed correctly and you should be fine.

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:41 PM

One more thing to fail, knob is simple. You only use it for less than a minute in the morning.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I like it in particular with the estart model. Pull in the choke lever, hit the magic button, release, ride off. You can never forget to push your choke back down. I have also used it on some seriously cold mornings while running wide open down a dike in eastern Washington to richen it up, pretty cool.

And as far as it failing, that was my worry at first too. Non issue so far. We ride some of the wettest, sloppiest, brushyest, terrain you can imagine.

By the way it is supposed to have some slop in it at the lever. That way the slightest touch don't send you into blubber mode.

I've actually had to replace the regular style knob on one of my other 300's because it would no longer stay up when pulled up and was allowing water in. Bending over in that position to hold up the little choke knob on a winters morning with thick gloves while waiting for the bike to get up to operating temp. made replacing it a necessity for me.

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVERUP View Post
I have also used it on some seriously cold mornings while running wide open down a dike in eastern Washington to richen it up, pretty cool.
That's the 1st good reason that I've heard to keep it on there. Good thinking.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:18 PM

Need a few more comments to figure it out. I think it is a nice feature but do not want the risk of DNF. Anyone had any issues????????? Thanks
Old 02-14-2013, 11:48 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Leave it in for the above reason but let it be the first thing you disconnect when your bike suddenly starts acting like someone messed with the jetting - it is just one screw to remove the lever and let the cable have full slack, then replace it
Old 02-15-2013, 01:50 AM

In case you'll oftenly mess with jetting and tilting the carb, you'll definately need the knob one because the cable's plastic connector with the carb have less threads and eventually will fail, as did mine.

Ordered the one with the knob and the following part in order to have both worlds to choose from:

Hope that will do
Old 02-15-2013, 07:55 AM

One less cable on the bars to deal with. There also have been reports about the starter plunger seizing in the carb due to moisture, something you rarely hear of normally. The plunger rod with the knob appears to be a more positive seal than a cable.

I can see the use for it in the desert of if you do a lot of high speed stuff, just like tapping the kill button. I just like things as simple as possible, the less extra crap on a bike the better.