Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:33 AM

Default Another Gasser rider emerges in western NC

Hey guys, just thought I'd say hello. Been riding since the late 60s. Raced MX and hare scrambles thru the 70s and early 80s. Then gave it up for roadracing superbikes for a few more yrs.

Been racing mtn bikes in XC and endurance events the last 12yrs..until a catastrophic sport bike crash 3yrs ago almost killed me(broken back in 7 places, broken neck 2x, both lungs punctured, knocked out all front teeth, broken eye socket, all ribs but 2, lacerated kidney and liver, broken hand, etc). Trying to get my fitness back, but its hard when your old and chit.

A good friend gave me a deal I couldn't resist, so I now have an 05 450 FSE to ride. Was just rebuilt on a newly powder coated frame, ground up. New drivetrain, forks rebuilt and resprung, all best parts between the 2 otherwise. Have lots of spares, so I hope to be using it for awhile here in the western NC mtns.

Everything in the trailer and then some, are spares. Even have a complete set of new 05 FSE graphics in its wax paper backing.

Anyway, now in my late 50s, I'm damn glad to be back in the saddle on a capable dirt bike.

Last edited by broken rider; 02-28-2016 at 09:07 PM.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:50 AM

Hi, good to hear that you're recovering from your injuries. I'm looking for skidplate and oversize fuel tank. Are you willing to send it abroad?
Does your bike have the usual starting issues.

EC 250 2001, Fse 450 2004
Old 02-29-2016, 06:39 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Welcome to the fold man

Sounds like you've had a rough go of it on the injury front, hope everything is healing and you're able to throw a leg over the bike soon? I've been in a few offs on the sport bike (several at the track and a couple on the street) - never any fun.

Not sure how many 4T owners are on this site, but the folks here are good and have always been a help to me.

Post up your ride impressions when you get a chance to get her out and about
Old 02-29-2016, 06:54 PM

Cranking good w the button. But only tried the kick start once during todays ride, and it wouldn't start. Only tried a few times. Not encouraging tho.

No spares for sale at this point.

I live here in the Smoky mtns of NC. Theres endless fire service roads, but also some old school moto/4 wheeler trails that survived from the 70s. Not much of that left anymore in this part of the country. At least when in Forest Service wilderness lands. Rode it yesterday on some.

Down low where I parked the truck. No pics of the good stuff. Was too busy not crashing.

Then the supermoto today, but thats a diff bike. I'm only 5 miles from the Tail of the Dragon aka Deals Gap.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2day View Post
Welcome to the fold man

Sounds like you've had a rough go of it on the injury front, hope everything is healing and you're able to throw a leg over the bike soon? I've been in a few offs on the sport bike (several at the track and a couple on the street) - never any fun.

Not sure how many 4T owners are on this site, but the folks here are good and have always been a help to me.

Post up your ride impressions when you get a chance to get her out and about
Thanks. I still have some issues from the crash, but I'm riding dammit. Tried a mtn bike race last yr.. One that I won back in 010. Got my arse handed to me tho. Oh well. Hard getting back all that fitness when your older.

The 450 runs good. Good smooth power w no bobbles. Feels like 3 distinct phases. The bottom range w is still good tractable power.. big mid range surge.. Then the topend where it keeps pulling, all the while flattening out(as it should).

Handling felt good. Never had any issues in the rock gardens while climbing or descending.

Stock gearing and a relatively tall first gear might be an issue in the really techy steep tight stuff. But so far so good w no worries.

I like the bike, and hope to keep riding it a lot in the near future.

Thanks again for the welcome.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:37 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Welcome Broken Rider. I'm a new GasGas convert, too. Bought a '01 XC 200 last fall, after riding a tough two day dual sport ride on my orange 450 that kicked my butt.

I've kept the plated 450 for the kind of riding you've described (In the summer, I'm located 8 miles from the Nantahala Gorge), but love the 200 for more rugged off road riding.

Anyway, hope you're healing up well and getting stronger, & the GG 4 stroke treats you well too.

I won't be back up in the mtns till May, maybe I'll see you around then.

RB
Old 03-01-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBrider View Post
Welcome Broken Rider. I'm a new GasGas convert, too. Bought a '01 XC 200 last fall, after riding a tough two day dual sport ride on my orange 450 that kicked my butt.

I've kept the plated 450 for the kind of riding you've described (In the summer, I'm located 8 miles from the Nantahala Gorge), but love the 200 for more rugged off road riding.

Anyway, hope you're healing up well and getting stronger, & the GG 4 stroke treats you well too.

I won't be back up in the mtns till May, maybe I'll see you around then.

RB
Absolutely regarding May. Hit me up. I whitewater kayak the Nanty river. Step sons guide for the NOC. I'm in nearby Robbinsville and plan on hitting some of the super secret deep wilderness stuff on the Indian res lands out toward Snowbird.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:50 PM

Welcome aboard! I'm in Hickory nc. There's some great places to ride around here. Let me know if you're interested in meeting up sometime.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:30 AM

We need some sort of meetup at brushy or something. I'm in SW VA. Welcome. Also a new convert to GG. And I'm drunk on the Spanish Sangria (vs KTM koolaid).

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife
Old 03-02-2016, 10:12 AM

I'll be there this weekend
But yes that sounds good. They just finished up some new singletrack and working on more. In October, they're having a extreme enduro called the "battle of the goats"

Rod has talked about coming down and meeting up with the owner of Wilmington powersports