Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:31 AM

Default WER Damper

My WER damper needs and oil change. This will be the first service since I've installed on the bike. How much oil is required for the rebuild?

Thanks

AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals

Old 03-11-2008, 06:34 PM

it's been a while since I have changed the oil on my wer damper. It was on my drz and I have not used it on my gasser yet. don't have an exact amount but it ain't much. Probably a few onces 3, 4, 5?? although you'll want to flush it too. I don't remember much about the last time I did but I used a fernco coupling around the damper, pored the oil so it pooled on top a bit and pumped the little arm back and forth until the bubbles stopped coming out. If it get fast enough I might put the wer on my 300.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:39 PM

btw .. when I bought my damper a few years back ...
I'm pretty sure the first service was free, assuming you bought it from them. they do a total tear down and cleaning. Might be worth a call to see.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:16 AM

Skid,

Thanks, I know that over time I've had to turn the adjustment knob, now I'm at full damping. My thinking was the oil was low or needed to be replaced. I spent last night trying to get the air out of unit. After adding oil to the unit I turning the shaft several times and I am still getting air bubbles? I think my next step will be cover the entire unit in oil and turn the shaft so no chance of air can enter the damper. If that doesn't work....off to WER for a total rebuild. It has been on the bike for 6 years with no rebuild

I talked to WER this morning. My unit is an older unit, with the old style shaft and wiper (inside the damper), looks like the wiper could be worn, and a complete rebuild is in order which will be oil, "o"rings, shaft and wiper all for $110.00, one day turn around....
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 03-17-2008, 07:24 AM

Hey!
I have one of these WER dampers on one of the bikes I bought recently.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2295

Are they supposed to be good? The one I have looks kinda tough. It seems to "damp" o.k. but I have no idea how it "should" feel.
'04 Duc M800 R.I.P
'06 Duc S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 Duc S2r 1000 still rubber side down...
----------------------------------------------------------
May be so... May be not so...

My Website
Old 03-17-2008, 09:57 AM

I like the WER damper, and don't like to ride without it. On the front of the damper there is a brass "star" looking adjustment knob. Turning it adjuster clock wise increases the damping effect. Counterclock wise decreases the damping affect. It is hard to tell if the damper is working when the bike is on a stand and your turning the bars side to side. With the WER there is a degree of "free play" side to side before the damping starts to take affect. So, you really need to get the bike out on a rough trail with plenty of rocks or roots and play with it. The faster you go through the rough stuff the more effect it has. When riding through the rough stuff if the bars want to be "jerked out of your hands" or the front tire is "deflecting" off rocks / roots. By increasing the damping the "jerk" and "deflecting" effect will be less noticable and you should be able to keep your bike in the direction you want it to go.
If turning the adjustment knob has little or no effect you more than likey will need a rebuild.

Hope that helps.
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

Old 03-18-2008, 06:13 AM

Thanks Rick,
I did a little more investigation on the WER and it sounds like they function well. Guess I'll make sure to pull it off the '03 before we sell it.
'04 Duc M800 R.I.P
'06 Duc S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 Duc S2r 1000 still rubber side down...
----------------------------------------------------------
May be so... May be not so...

My Website