Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:21 AM

Default Bike running poorly need some help!!!!

07 ec 250 has started to miss at first it would miss mid range now it is more on top hold it wide open and it spits and carries on.I put a new coil on with a new plug wire. Did not help. I have checked out stator and pick up coil all test out fine. I don't think it is jetting my reason why is I hooked up my inductive timing light and when it starts missing the light goes out .Like there is an interruption in the flow of juice.i also have unplugged my voltage reg and no change the only thing that does change it is when I put from rain to sunny mode.It runs much better in the sunny mode.I had a 01 that had very similar issues and it was the cdi. Starting to think it is the cdi again.I've been told that a KTM cdi is the same going to try one tonight before I shell out the money for a new one.Any thoughts ?

Old 07-22-2010, 05:14 PM

I had a problem similar to this on my 07 125, it would miss/splutter and run very poorly in most of the mid range but would idle and run at around idle speed ok but as soon as the engine sped up it would run poorly all through the mid range up to the top end where it would start to run just ok-ish.
The problem was that one of the cdi connection was loose and dirty, so I pulled all connections, cleaned them with electrical contact cleaner, and found that one was very floppy in its fit, so squashed the female joiner so it held the pin better, taped up all the joins, this fixed the problem and never had an issue with the electrics since.
This was the last thing I did before I would have taken the bike to the shop and they would have charged me for all the checks I did myself.
It also sounds like it could be a partially blocked jet in the carb, although that wouldnt cause the timing light issue, but its just one more thing to remove from the equation.

Good luck
Old 07-22-2010, 06:20 PM

I may have had the same issue last night the last thing I did was clean up the plug with electric contact cleaner and tonight it seemed better.Ran the same with my cdi and a borrowed ktm one.Heading to the National enduro tomorrow only an 1 hr and 15 min drive .I'm hoping it runs good all day.I did clean my carb tonight and all was fine.Went back to my hot weather jetting.178 main 40 pilot. 1.5 air screw. Ran better time will tell.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:16 PM

Default Running poorly

Hi Silver,

Ran into the same problem two years ago with Jim Senecals bike, (New England Champ), ran good for two laps then quit. Put in new CDI, has been fine. Billy Burns, when he was on GG two years ago had the same problem. Ran better in sun mode than the other. CDI problem. If you get a chance to check this site before the National talk to Rich Smith (Smiths Power Sports) and tell him you got an e-mail from me. He may or may not have a CDI with him but is worth a shot.

Brian De Vries
Lda Racing
Old 07-24-2010, 06:19 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Have you tried a new plug ?
Old 07-25-2010, 11:27 AM

Did you try with the kill switch totally unplugged?
Old 07-26-2010, 08:30 PM

Your problem is a no spark under load problem. The inductive light is triggered when the electromagnetic field of the spark going through the wire is sensed by the inductive lead on the timing light. The light not flashing means that the spark is going somewhere else (not through the wire) or it's not sparking at all. The CDI is a possibility for the not sparking at all but I would also check the plug wire and terminal connections for any place it may touch and be grounding out. This will look like a lead pencil mark on the wire or terminal caused by carbon tracking from the spark jumping. I wouldn't do anything to the fuel system until you resolve the spark problem. You may create a new problem before you fix the old one. Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:43 AM

The new coil I put on had a new plug wire on it. So plug wire is out. I tried a cdi out of an 06 ktm 300 ran the same. I'm going to unhook kill switch next .I cleaned up the ground. I got a fly wheel puller so I can check stator out. Very frustrating. Sat. I fouled a plug put in a new one rode it like I stole it for 3 miles and new plug was already black.This is my 2nd Gas Gas and both have had electrical issues. Thankfully on Sunday for the Jack Pine Nat. a friend loaned my his 2010 ktm 300 with a rekluse. Man I hate to admit that bike was sweet very well set up he is a AA rider. Any way please keep the ideas coming I'm about ready to pull my hair out .
Old 07-27-2010, 07:30 AM

I have seen cases where there was carbon tracking on a plug and plug boot and if both weren't replaced at the same time the carbon tracking would follow the path still there until they were both ruined again. This won't be the case if you put a plug in at the same time as you replaced the coil and the wire. You would also be able to see a dotted or solid line on the old plug and inner plug boot as if you drew on it with a pencil. Weak staters can be hard to confirm without replacing them, I prefer it when they quit all together because a weak one may test ok but run poorly just like an intermittent CDI.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:54 PM

I did put in a new plug at the time of new coil and plug wire.