Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:51 PM

Default 2010 300=stiff??

I hauled my buddy and his new 2010 300 (Sachs shock) to the races this weekend and joined the crowds of people standing around drooling over this exotic machine. My KTM just sat there ignored by all-how could it compete with a bike with red hubs?? Anyway, I rode this thing around a bit and couldn't believe how different it felt compared to my KTM (08 250 XCWe/Rekluse with TT suspension mods). Im 205 lbs and this thing felt incredibly rigid, like a motocross bike. Very, very quiet and mellow too, almost like a KDX, this thing must have a monster flywheel in it. My buddy is a stone cold beginner and I would like to help him get his suspension dialed but I don't know these bikes. Another GG rider camping nearby said there is a brutal break in period for the suspension, cant remember how long he said it would take-10 hours maybe? My buddy is quite a bit lighter than me (about 170), so...should we leave it stock? The dealer set the sag with him geared up so I trust that it was in range. Any baseline info/settings given the info provided would be appreciated. (Texas rocks/roots/sand/enduro/beginner)

And I want one.
Gas Gas forum troller since 2007.....

Last edited by Bark3rd; 11-15-2010 at 11:25 PM.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:56 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bark3rd View Post
I hauled my buddy and his new 2010 300 (Sachs shock) to the races this weekend and joined the crowds of people standing around drooling over this exotic machine. My KTM just sat there ignored by all-how could it compete with a bike with red hubs?? Anyway, I rode this thing around a bit and couldn't believe how different it felt compared to my KTM (08 250 XCWe/Rekluse with TT suspension mods). Im 205 lbs and this thing felt incredibly rigid, like a motocross bike. Very, very quiet and mellow too, almost like a KDX, this thing must have a monster flywheel in it. My buddy is a stone cold beginner and I would like to help him get his suspension dialed but I don't know these bikes. Another GG rider camping nearby said there is a brutal break in period for the suspension, cant remember how long he said it would take-10 hours maybe? My buddy is quite a bit lighter than me (about 170), so...should we leave it stock? The dealer set the sag with him geared up so I trust that it was in range. Any baseline info/settings given the info provided would be appreciated. (Texas rocks/roots/sand/enduro/beginner)

And I want one.
I have had my forks revalved and i think it is a must, especially if he is a beginner. For a much more aggressive rider i think the forks can work as standard.

If there is no-one in the know nearby that can do the revalve, air-cells also do a fairly decent job
Old 11-16-2010, 04:35 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Sachs Suspension

I'm 210 lbs and have gone to .44 springs in the forks, with a 5.6 spring on the rear on a 2010 XC300. Jeremy Haws at Battlecreek Powersports is about the same weight as your buddy (170-180lbs) and is running the stock rear spring, with the heavier .44's up front.

Give the guys at Enduro Enginnering a call. They can advise your friend as to what setup will work best.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bark3rd View Post

And I want one.
Every suspension tuner who has looked at the Sachs says the shock is over sprung and the fork is under sprung. Send the stuff to Enduro Engineering or Cannon in Oklahoma City (aka House of Housepower). Cannon is also a GG dealer. I have heard good things about C Cycle in New England and Les in the NW, too. Cannon and EE are closer to you.
Clay
Old 11-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Administrator

<spam alert on - Les at LT-Racing is my very best friend...>

Les Tinius at LT-Racing has more experience with Sachs & Marzocchi suspension than anyone else - he typically does 3-5 sets marzocchi/sachs suspension every week...

Les and also his brother greg who works with him are both Gold Level Honda Trained Factory Master Techs with over 30 years experience. Les also has experience working as a machinist (Boeing, etc.) with machine tools on site - so modifying the forks to shorten the bike or fix internal inefficiencies can be done on-site with minimal or no cost to the customer.

Whoever you use - make sure they completely disassemble the fork, including the cartridge and that they revalve all three valve stacks - rebound, compression & mid-valve. Most shops only touch the compression valving and some charge an extra $50 to crack open the cartridge and get into the mid-valve - which needs to be addressed on both the marzocchi and the sachs fork to allow them to work smoothly in roots and rocks.

FYI - Les at LT-Racing completely disassembles and revalves every circuit in the fork and this is included in his "standard revalve". www.lt-racing.com

Jeff
Old 11-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Site Sponsor

Like Rod said, I am 170 lbs with 4.4 fork springs with 12mm PVC preload spacers and its still pretty plush. At 170 lbs, especially for a beginner, I think when it breaks in its going to be pretty soft. It should be very good stock for his weight and ability, until his speed picks up, I would ride it stock.

www.battlecreekpowersports.com
423-942-9056
Jasper, TN
Old 11-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Hey- it wouldn't hurt to try backing off on the compression adjustments.
I did this on my first ride, and as it breaks in, you can dial some back in
if necessary..........
Old 11-16-2010, 05:47 PM

I have 2010 300 also. I'm afraid I can't give you any specifics, but yes it took my bike 10-15 hours to get the suspension loosened up, especially the forks. I'm 185lbs and the forks are still a little stiff for me and I'm an slow A woods racer. Lots of tree roots, rocks, 1st-3rd gear trails. Shock seems to work well for me, but I will probably have to have the fork sent out for a revalve. And I don't like super soft mushy suspension, but the Sachs forks are harsh.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:50 PM

+1 for Les. i ended up running out of money before i could have him do my revalve, but he was very kind and patient with me when i spoke to him on the phone. Les is a great guy.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:23 PM

Be sure to bleed the air out of the forks before every ride after the bike has cooled off while it is on the stand with the front wheel off the ground. A revalve may be needed but you need to break the suspension in first and and then decide. If you feel i revalve is needed i recomend Les also.