Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 08-31-2006, 09:07 PM

Default Suspension fastener and shock problem

Well, just like everything in life when things go good they go really good and when things go bad, they go really bad!!
I just purchased this used '00 300 EC last Saturday and have been going thru it this week. All seemed in good working order until tonight when I took off the shock and the forks because I was heading to my suspension guy tomorrow to have them revalved and sprung for my weight for a ride on Sunday. Well the problems started when I took off the lower shock bolt and I heard a peice of aluminum hit the floor, the bottom clevis on the shock is broken. The ear broke off where the bolt goes thru. Looks like its been broken for a while judging by the dirt on the crack......so then I finish taking it off and clean it up. On to the front forks and I am soon to discover a broken fork pinch bolt on the upper left and the two bottom bolts on the lower tripple clamp will not come out for anything!!!! I tried penetrant and heat to no avail. I did not want to break another one off so Im going to borrow a buddys 1/4" impact and get a socket mounted allen key and some easyouts and try that....if it breaks it breaks I guess.........ugh.....so I go from looking forward to riding this weekend on my "new" old bike with a fresh set of S12's and reworked suspension to typing up this long winded rant!!!!!!!!! My saving grace is that my buddy stores his '01 CR250 at my house and he's out of town so looks like Ill be flogging that on Sunday .
Any tips on the allen pinch bolt removal would be appreciated. Has anybody replaced these with regular 8MM or 10MM headed bolts?? OK, Im done whining please return to your regularly scheduled program

Old 09-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Site Sponsor

More than likely, your lower clevis broke because your lower shock mount is sopposed to have 2 cup shaped washers that also act as spacers. I bet one or both are missing.

As far as the triple clamp bolts, they pretty much suck unless you apply anti-sieze compound to the bolts when they are new and then keep up on them. It seems the cad plating and bare cast aluminum love to become one. You need a savvy mechanic/machinist for the fix.

www.lt-racing.com
Port Orchard, WA USA