Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:39 PM

Default Falling forward?

How do you get in the right riding position standing, so you don't feel like you are going to fall over the bars.

I was thinking about putting a riser on the bars to see if that helps. I have the bars rolled forward so they are even with the fork line.

Was doing some practice on the hills on the property and noticed I am really uncomfortable standing! Any braking and I'm over the top and way unbalanced.

I'm 6'2" is that helps. Arms span is about the same 6'-6'4" or so. I'm proportionate.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:28 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Bravo try standing steer with your feet , I like trials riding and that is how I ride my enduro bike . Practice ,Practice ,Practice and most important have fun
Old 10-09-2015, 05:18 PM

I did a Chris Birch coaching day a few months back and his technique was more of a crouch than a stand. Get your lower leg vertical and locked into the seat from there you sort of crouch down so your back is not straight up and down. Elbows nice and high. With your elbows like that you are less likely to feel like going over the bars.

The more technical it gets the more you crouch down, getting your butt closer to the seat and your head further down.

It doesn't feel right the first few times but trust me, stick with it. It will probably hurt your quads and back - as in using muscles you haven't used in a while, not doing any damage.

I was always comfortable standing but using this technique I feel much more balanced and in control.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender675 View Post
I did a Chris Birch coaching day a few months back and his technique was more of a crouch than a stand. Get your lower leg vertical and locked into the seat from there you sort of crouch down so your back is not straight up and down. Elbows nice and high. With your elbows like that you are less likely to feel like going over the bars.

The more technical it gets the more you crouch down, getting your butt closer to the seat and your head further down.

It doesn't feel right the first few times but trust me, stick with it. It will probably hurt your quads and back - as in using muscles you haven't used in a while, not doing any damage.

I was always comfortable standing but using this technique I feel much more balanced and in control.

Hope this helps.
I'll have to try that.

I have been looking for day camps in my area and haven't seen any. Where can I look to see camps and training that I should take?
Old 10-09-2015, 06:43 PM

I have been to the trials train center in TN. It has been helpful
Old 10-09-2015, 06:48 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Go to the Trials Training Center I have driven around a 1000 miles one way twice for training there .They rent bikes and really can help a newbie out a lot .
Old 10-09-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff13 View Post
I have been to the trials train center in TN. It has been helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Dud View Post
Go to the Trials Training Center I have driven around a 1000 miles one way twice for training there .They rent bikes and really can help a newbie out a lot .
I'll have to check them out. I just looked at their site, this might be the way to go. It's on Trials bikes, but should be able to transition to Enduro with little effort.

Was just talking to my better half about this, going to a training day camp.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:20 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

As above-Try keeping your lower legs in tight when standing,steer with your knees,be active with moving your weight around,and set your levers level with bars even if it feels too high(keeps the weight on the outside of palms and stops your wrists rolling forward and taking the weight on your thumbs-basically makes your "triangle" wider and more solid,as does keeping your elbows high)
Practice!
With time you will get used to that "hit" youre struggling with and learn to use it to your advantage
I also attended a chris birch day(highly recommended) and interestingly he was not a fan of bar risers and pointed out that virtually none of the top riders use them.Not sure if your bike has adjustable bar mounts,but if so,move them forward one position,lengthens reach and raises slightly.Most newer bikes the bar mounts are slightly offset so if you rotate mounts you get position 2.Some also have a 2nd hole for mounts giving positions 3&4.Chris recommended the 2 middle positions for virtually allriders as the closest and farthest positions start to compromise the handling/ergos.
Of course,he asks a bit more of his bikes than most of us could hope too!
He made the point that the manufacturers spend a lot of time and effort setting ergos up so the bike works well for a wide range of riders so moving too far away from standard is likely to have a tradeoff somewhere else...
Old 10-09-2015, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bravo View Post
How do you get in the right riding position standing, so you don't feel like you are going to fall over the bars.

I was thinking about putting a riser on the bars to see if that helps. I have the bars rolled forward so they are even with the fork line.

Was doing some practice on the hills on the property and noticed I am really uncomfortable standing! Any braking and I'm over the top and way unbalanced.

I'm 6'2" is that helps. Arms span is about the same 6'-6'4" or so. I'm proportionate.
Find some decent riders to ride with.You sound like a true beginner.You need to find a riding crew that will take you in and they will get you up to speed.They will also help you with bike setup and maintenance crap.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator

What everyone else has said.

The biggest variable with the setup will be you. Rather than searching what you can change on the bike to make it fit you, do some reading and research and then apply the knowledge to make you fit the bike.

There are pages upon pages regarding technique so no point going over it again.

Remember, once the bike is in motion, the rider should be too. The ground exerts forces on the chassis, some is absorbed by the suspension, some will need to be by the rider. Your joints make great secondary shocks.

Instead of fighting and holding on to the bike and trying to wrangle it, learn to control it. Clutch, throttle, brakes and body position. They are all variables which will change the way the chassis moves and handles and the forces will be passed onto the rider so the way you move has to be as variable as the rest, and work to offset the forces.

When you're doing it right you won't feel like you're hanging off the back of the bike as it comes on song. You'll be wicking it up, leaning forward and letting the bike 'push you' forward with it. It all takes time, and all takes practice.

Start slow, let the muscles build, learn the right skills from the get go, avoid bad habbits, and enjoy the experience.