Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:20 AM

Question Tell me about Ducatis

I wandered in to the local Duc dealer that happened to be next to where my truck was getting serviced. Maybe a mistake. I could get an '08 Hypermotard for my Harley on trade plus a few bucks, good deal. Whats the story with the Duc desmo 1100 motor? The service costs are ridiculous and I would never consider the bike if I could not do the work myself. Doing the research the valve adjustments don't look that bad and I have a feeling that the dealers make this sound like VooDoo to command high service prices. How are the parts prices and availability? Could this be a reasonably practical(and fun) back road commuter bike? Light, very comfortable riding position for me, and I love VTwin low end power for the street.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:34 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I like Ducatis. Philosophically, pretty close to GasGas. Not a new design every two years, but a refinement of a solid concept. Solid bikes.

I ride old BMWs, but work on anything. A friend of my wife's bought a new monster, and wrecked it the first week he had it. (High sided in a corner 'cause he went in too fast, panicked, and stood it up.) So, being the good guy I am, i fixed it for him. Parts didn't take long to get (a week maybe), and the bike was well designed. It was easy to fix. Most of the stuff we could bend back without breaking, meaning it isn't cast out of junk metal.

(That was 6 years ago. That guy still owes me lunch.)

And NOTHING sounds sweeter than a ducati...dry clutch rattling, beautiful exhaust note. My younger daughter, (who was 5 at the time) when we had the Duc while waiting for parts, would turn the key on, fire the bike up, and just listen to that Leo Vince carbon fibre exhaust.

Ducati, also like GasGas, uses high quality parts. You get what you pay for. If you want a back road burner, you'll like the bike. Just watch out for speeding tickets.

You'll dig this WAY more than the V-Rod. Good luck.

blitz
Old 03-13-2008, 07:35 AM

Glenn,

Being a former Road Racer myself and riding one I can tell you that parts are expensive. Plus if you do have to have it serviced for some reason or another at the local shop it will cost twice as much as let's say a Suzuki GSXR or a Honda CBR.

The Duc's are good bikes and sound really good with the right pipes on their twin engines.

Good luck.
Robby
Old 03-13-2008, 07:38 PM

What about an older 749?? I'm seeing some 2000,2001 749's for what looks like short money 4 or 5k. I live 20 minutes from Loudon (NHIS) I used race an ex 500 there and was thinking an older cheap 749 might make a fun track bike. I'm wondering how much you could change the seating position/foot pegs/ bar height to get a more upright riding position. maybe make it a bit of a street fighter for running around town and then slap the racer stuff back on it for the odd track day.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Could this be a reasonably practical(and fun) back road commuter bike?
The Hypermotard would be a fun ride, but it's too much $ for my tastes. Someone else here just picked up a SM610 to answer that same question.

I've only had a few short rides since the snow just melted here. It's a blast to ride! Feels like I'm riding something illegal all the time.

Here is my new toy:

Old 03-13-2008, 08:15 PM

Thanks guys. I'm just kicking the idea around. Two years on the Night Rod proves its a nice bike but not the best commuter. Too much cosmetic maintanence and too little stick on the front end. Most of riding is to work and the occasional weekend day ride, no touring, and as little highway as possible. I always liked the Hyper, and the guy just shocked me when he offered a very good price on a trade. I'm not particularly interested in a Ducati because its a Ducati, I just like the Hyper. While the maintanence is eaisly within my skill level, he could not answer the question of voided warranty, because no one works on their own, from this dealer anyway. Sorry but $600 to $700 for a valve adjustment every 7500 miles is stupid, its either DIY or ride something else.

No sport bikes either. An agile, upright streetfighter/SM fits the bill for me. A very nice bike for 9K just out is the Aprilia Shiver 750. Very nice ergos, street fighter style but a bit more upright. Triumph Speed Triple is a nice bike as well. The KTMs are over priced and I've heard mixed reports on long term service.

Matt, the Husky is nice but I just think the single may a little too stressed for the times when I am on the highway.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Those high mount exhausts are a concern.
When you're done riding you will smell like exhaust fumes.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:56 PM

I've been thinking about a shiver. There is a prilla dealer next town over from me. gonna have to swing in and see if thye have one on the floor.

pegaso 650 factory is kind of sweet looking too!!

Last edited by skid jackson; 03-13-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:37 PM

I think they handle pretty good...

I have an '04 800 Monster and do all of my own maintenance. The 2 valvers are pretty easy to work on. Valve adjustments are pretty straight forward, but you do need either a shim set ($200+) or a nearby dealer who is willing to exchange shims.

The '06 and later 695,1000,1100 bikes have a semi closed loop EFI with a Lambda sensor in the exhaust and there are plenty of complaints about snatchy throttle response and surging due to lean fueling. The stock ECU has limited capacity to deal with that situation. It is not re-mappable. Many if not most end up with some kind of replacement ECU or an add-on module like a Power Commander or Rapid Bike to get a handle on fueling.

There was some talk of valve guide trouble on one of those motors, but I can't remember if it was the 1000 or the 1100. I know of several 800 motors that had valve guides go in under 10,000 miles, mine included, but that's the ONLY trouble I've had with it... mechanically. It does have an affinity for grass... and that gets expensive REAL quick on a Duc.

The issue of voiding the warranty doing your own maintenance comes up a lot here: http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/ind...board,3.0.html as well as endless threads on ECUs, fueling. I think legally any mfg. has to prove that lack of or improper maintenance was the direct cause of a failure to deny a warranty claim. IME and from much I've read Ducati is very good about warranty work to the point of even extending "good will" coverage to bikes beyond warranty for known or obvious defects.

I've only taken a short jaunt on a Hyper, but it was a sweet ride.
'04 Duc M800 R.I.P
'06 Duc S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 Duc S2r 1000 still rubber side down...
----------------------------------------------------------
May be so... May be not so...

My Website
Old 03-14-2008, 07:07 AM

I think lean EPA related fueling is a issue with all new bikes, although in the tests it was not a complaint with the Hyper. My VRSCD was very lean as well with a rough idle and low end surging. A $200 Teclusion made it a different bike, with no issues in 10K miles. I somewhat expect to have to do this on any new road bike. I don't really want a road bike for another hobby though, and will leave it basically stock. I just want something different and more unique than an SV650.

The valve train is a shim over bucket, like a Triumph triple or older DOHC Jap bike, so the shims are subject to wear and why swapping may not be popular with dealers, correct? Do dealers in general stock a selection of shims and sell individual parts willingly? Are there on-line sources/dealers?

I don't think you can get much worse than HD prices on parts. Hell, if my bike fell over in the garage it would probably be well over $1K!

The Shiver appears to be a very nice bike, with excellent reviews, and feels very comfy sitting on it. A lot like the Hyper. Probably a more sensible choice for me. If I have trouble selling the Rod for a good price the Hyper deal will become more attractive though. I wasn't even planning on a new road bike this year but $4 + a gallon on the horizon in a V8 truck(needed) sucks, and I have no room to park another car.