Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I did put in a new plug at the time of new coil and plug wire.
Sounds like you have done everything in the right order so far. I had a case on another system similar to this where the stator pole pieces were hitting the inductive part of the stator and it damaged the CDI module so I had to replace both but that is pretty rare.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:00 PM

Last night I started bike in the garage with lights off looking for a wire shorting out on the frame. What I found was a ring of spark around my spark plug cap nice bright blue. I have 2 coils both with plug wire and cap and both do this. I cleaned cap and put in a new plug still doing it .Cut off a 1/4 in of wire reinstalled cap still does it.Going to get a new cap and see if that helps.Puzzled as how 2 coils with wires and caps would both do the same thing.With one being brand new.

Last edited by Silver; 07-28-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:07 PM

Put new caps on both coils no change still a ring of fire around plug caps.I also checked my wifes bike kx 100 and it did this also.So maybe not that strange after all. I guess I don't look my bike over in complete darkness that often.

Last edited by Silver; 07-28-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:26 PM

Default Running poorly

Quick hint,
If spark plug is black and sooty it is an electrical problem, if the plug is wet it's a fuel problem. Stator problems can be tough to diagnose. The real way to do it is when the engine is hot and the bike runs bad that is when you test the resistance with an ohm meter from the stater. Previously stated Jim Senecals problem was an easy fix. All I did was pull the seat off, start the bike which fired up immediatly and then I started moving wires around by the CDI. At that point the bike quit running. I knew then the problem was a connection from the wiring to the CDI box. New box, no problems.Any more questions please contact me.

Brian DeVries
LDA Racing
LDAmarketing@live.com
Old 08-05-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Put new caps on both coils no change still a ring of fire around plug caps.I also checked my wifes bike kx 100 and it did this also.So maybe not that strange after all. I guess I don't look my bike over in complete darkness that often.
This "Ring of Fire" is a great Johnny Cash song but it is not normal at all for secondary ignition. I would be suspecting a problem with some kind of contaminate on your plugs like maybe anti seize in your plug socket that is getting on all your plugs.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:06 PM

Nope no anti sieze here.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:27 PM

Everybody told me cdi's either work or they don't. Well i chased my tale for the better part of a month. Bought parts i didn't need. Well I 'm here to tell ya cdi's can cause the issue I was having. Picked up a used cdi (thanks bbdirtbiker)
put it in friday raced today no fouled plugs no cutting out ran great plug back to its nice tan color. So any of you that thinks a cdi either works or it doesn't I got one that works but not like it should for sale Thanks for all the help. By the way I had a similar issue with my 01 and a cdi fixed that one also. I should just got a cdi to start with. I'll be trusting my gut instinct from now on.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Everybody told me cdi's either work or they don't. Well i chased my tale for the better part of a month. Bought parts i didn't need. Well I 'm here to tell ya cdi's can cause the issue I was having. Picked up a used cdi (thanks bbdirtbiker)
put it in friday raced today no fouled plugs no cutting out ran great plug back to its nice tan color. So any of you that thinks a cdi either works or it doesn't I got one that works but not like it should for sale Thanks for all the help. By the way I had a similar issue with my 01 and a cdi fixed that one also. I should just got a cdi to start with. I'll be trusting my gut instinct from now on.
Well done Mike. I bet it feels good to be off that pumpkin
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 08-09-2010, 07:07 AM

I'm glad you got it fixed but I'm puzzled at why the CDI from the other bike didn't fix it long ago. Also what about the ring of fire on the wife's KX, how does it run? There is still something missing here. (sorry for the bad pun lol.)
Old 08-09-2010, 08:05 AM

The cdi used before was from a 06 ktm 300 was told they were the same . Now i don't think so. Maybe it was something else I did not sure. Trust me i checked everything from bad crank bearings to all the wires on the bike. the new box seemed to cure it. I rode 90 miles this weekend between my race and the family enduro I rode with my wife and kids. Never fouled a plug before I could maybe get 20 miles before a plug was gone.My 01 lost a cdi also not quite the same as this but close enough I should have just went with the cdi.But that KTM one through me for a loop. Not sure about the spark on the outside of plug cap last time i checked mine it was gone .The bike has to be reved up pretty good to see it.Try yours in a dark garage and let me know the results.