Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:36 PM

Talking Trials training

After watching a YouTube video of an endurocross event from Las Vegas it was obvious to me that any serious enduro rider should spend some time on a trials bike. The top 3 finishers had extensive trials backgrounds and it showed in their smooth style. I'm new to woods riding and immediately I realized that drag racing from corner to corner wasn't going to get it done. It's all about being smooth and keeping your momentum.

I'm thinking that Gas Gas is in the perfect position to take advantage when the average Joe realizes that adding a trials bike could be the best choice for getting to that next skill level.

Once I get a couple of woods bikes set up for me and my son a trials bike is next on the list.

Maybe I'm preaching to the convinced here on the Gas Gas forum but sometimes I guess I like to talk because I like hearing it again.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

You couldn't be more right IMHO

Out on the Trails on Vancouver Island , BC

Steve
Old 10-22-2010, 10:47 PM

one needs money to buy it,a place to keep it,a place to ride it and some spare time...
and some of these elements are missing and i won't be the only one in the case
Old 10-23-2010, 03:37 AM

I'm in the same boat,, I see the need, I have the desire,, I cant seam to swing an extra bike, gear, and time right now.. but oh do I want one.. If you ever get a chance to ride one do.. they are a blast! I rode a buddy's fantic and it was a hoot! I want a GG trials bike in the garage so so bad..
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 10-23-2010, 03:58 AM

i did ride one a few times.
took some lessons in the French alpes.
they were 125cc 4strokes but still heaps lots of fun!
that's why i want one too.
but where i live (belgium, along the coast) everything is as flat as can be :-p so no natural obstacles anywhere.
plus, people in my country are not motor-minded
still i do try to have some fun here and there,but try not to annoy people around me.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:46 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Trials

A couple of years ago, I bought a used 2003 Beta 250 so I could ride with some friends that were into trials, and figured that allot of what I have learned from years of enduro and H.S. would apply to riding the trials bike. I mean, how hard could this really be?

Guys, I WAS SO WRONG! After my first real outing with these experienced trials riders, it became obvious very quickly… this was going to take allot of practice and patience! I had no idea how tough it was to go slow while still maintaining form and momentum over stuff that you couldn’t walk or climb over, much less do it on a motorcycle.

After riding the Beta thru out the winter and learning about proper technique, then climbing on my “real” dirt bike, I found myself doing stuff that I normally wouldn’t have done in the past. Instead of looking for a way around an obstacle like a big log crossing, ugly rock pile or ledge, I now had the confidence and ability to clear whatever was in my way…or at least…give it a try. Did a trials bike make me a faster rider? Depends on how you look at it, but it did help me become a smarter rider and I need all the help I can get in that department.

Unfortunately I had to sell the Beta later that year, but I still have the bug BAD and plan to get another bike someday when my finances allows it.

Speaking of which, while the Beta is a fine machine, I found my buddies Gasser’s much easier to ride and better suited my style. It had much better brake feel and a VERY crisp throttle response but yet, seemed to be more forgiving to a novice rider like myself. The Beta almost felt like it had too much flywheel and sometimes, the sheer torque would carry me farther than what was needed. This is NOT a good thing in certain places for a beginner.

Also, if you have never had the opportunity to attend a trials event, I strongly encourage you to do so. You won’t find a nicer group of folks. This past summer, I helped score a section at Round 2 of the Trials Inc. Series and had an absolute blast.

When you go, keep this in mind…It ain’t as easy as it looks (these guys are just that darn good) and have the check book ready to buy a bike come Monday morning.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Banned

So if any of you are wondering about the pic Rod used on his post, it is the hole he put in the side of my two week old trailer when he let his bike fall over. The handguard stuck a hole in it. He has offered to get it fixed several times but I like seeing it and reminding him of how dumb he was that day.
When we got back from the race, I drew the face around the hole and put his name on it. Every so often I will email that pic out to a bunch of our friends just to get the crap going at Rod.
Clay
Old 10-23-2010, 04:51 PM

I have competed off an on for the last 20 years in local trials events. I currently own a Beta 250.

I have also raced offroad for over 35 years. I suck at both disciplines, so yeah trials is good for you.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lankydoug View Post
The top 3 finishers had extensive trials backgrounds and it showed in their smooth style. I'm new to woods riding and immediately I realized that drag racing from corner to corner wasn't going to get it done. It's all about being smooth and keeping your momentum.
I think it's sorta like having a Pro Football player taking ballet. To become a good player you must first learn balance and finesse. Having a long term back ground in Trials like Geoff Aaron, Dougie Lampkin, Graham Jarvis, Cody Webb,
How could they not be top riders in Endurocross.
Just look back at this years Hellsgate. Over a 100 riders entered...Lampkin and Jarvis were the only two that finished. That says it all.

07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 10-24-2010, 04:55 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
So if any of you are wondering about the pic Rod used on his post, it is the hole he put in the side of my two week old trailer when he let his bike fall over. The handguard stuck a hole in it. He has offered to get it fixed several times but I like seeing it and reminding him of how dumb he was that day.
When we got back from the race, I drew the face around the hole and put his name on it. Every so often I will email that pic out to a bunch of our friends just to get the crap going at Rod.
Clay
Do I have some real friends or what?