Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:34 PM

Default Anyone go from Woods CRF450R to EC300?

I have a 2003 CRF450R setup for woods, and I am considering selling it to get a Gas Gas EC or KTM 300 XC, EXC.

Has anyone out there gone from the CRF450R to the Gas Gas EC 300? If so, what are your thoughts. My CRF is setup pretty nice, so I am hesitant to get rid of it, but I hear from my 2 Stroke friends that I'd like those bikes for woods much better (lighter, flickability, lower overall cost to maintain)

Someone in my town is selling a 2002 EC 300 with only 30 hours on it. He's asking $2,500. Does that sound like a right price? I was thinking it shoudl be around $2,000. Also, are there major benefits to more recent EC models compared to 2002, or are they pretty much the same?

Thanks

Old 08-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

There was a major change in 2007, but I think you would have essentially the same experience on a 2002 model. For $2500, that's a pretty cheap way to find out if you like a 300 2t honestly. If I were you, judging by what you said, I'd keep the Honda, especially if you like it. Buy the GG and try it out for a while, set it up for you ergonomically, and see if the bike suits you. After a few months, you'll know if you feel better during a ride, and your pals will be able to judge if you ride it better. Likely you will be the same speed no matter what bike you ride, so it will come down to what you enjoy riding the most. At that price, it's a nice way to find out though.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 08-11-2009, 05:12 PM

I've ridden a CRF450X in the woods, but not a CRF450R. Personally, I really liked the CRFX. It carried its weight well, the engine made good power and was extremely easy to ride. Also, the Honda chassis is very good.

All that said....I'll stick with my gasser. NOTHING handles better than a GasGas. Add that to an easy to start, very forgiving two-stroke and it all adds up to a superior bike.

Would I ride a CRF in the woods? Yep. Would I race it? Nope. The easy starting and light weight of the two-stroke (and no gyroscopic effect) make it better.

For $2-2.5k, definitely give the Gasser a try.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:43 PM

2 seasons ago, when I was racing C-Open enduro, I had a blast competing with a big guy on a CRF450 and I managed to hold him off all year. I got bumped to B-Class. Last season he asked me a lot of questions about my EC300 while he considered what bike he'd get next. Last year he got promoted to B-Class. Over the winter he ended up getting a KTM 300 2-stroke and this year is leading the B-Open class.
I've been back on a 2-stroke for 4 years now and I think my buddy is glad he made the switch too. I doubt I'll ever go back to a 4-stroke. When it gets down and dirty, the 2-stroke seems to require less effort from me.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:52 PM

HI all been lurking for a while but this one hits close to home.

I have a 05 450X with about 600 hours on (estimate) 396 showing on the meter road for two years without meter.I got a sweet deal on a 03 MC250 in Fed. my buds say I was faster on it from the get go.This is the first 2T I have owned since 1987.Get the Gasser you will NOT regret it the handling is superb.Honestly the only thing I miss about the X is that baby will rip a wheely any place any time with on effort.I road the X for the first time since I got the Gasser last month and if it wasn't tagged I think I would sell it.

GO FOR It

Dont know where you are from but hear is a smoken deal.
http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5075

02 EC 200
03 MC 250
88 VT 800
01 TXT 280
Old 08-13-2009, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the info. Looks like most people would suggest the change. We have a baby girl coming in Dec, so if I make the switch, I'll need to sell my CRF450. Having 2 bikes would be sweet... but just not practical for me. Thanks again!