Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 07-26-2019, 04:41 AM

Default Water in exhaust

Hi members,
Im just after some valuable advice from members who know better than I do. I had my last ride a couple of weeks ago now and got home and washed my bike. I usually start it and let it run a little while before I put it away. On this particular occassion however the bike would not start. I thought I must have gunked another plug so I just put it away n didnt think anything of it. Anyway I tried to start the bike today and it would not go. After a bit of mucking around I finally got it going for a little while. I noticed a heap of crap coming out of the exhaust. Pulled the exhaust off so that only the pipe was left on and when I tried to start it I noticed a heap of liquid getting blown out of the pipe. I then removed the pipe and saw that there was about 500ml of water in the pipe.

Looking back on my last ride, there was 1 occassion when I had a fairly deep water crossing that I think the water has either entered through the exhaust (hopefully) or somewhere else. The bike did not at any stage stop on me.
Now if this amount of water entered through the airbox, would this have meant that the bike would have stopped on me??
Ive drained the crankcase drain bolt and there was only a tiny amount of fluid of some type in there. Ive drained the transmission oil and it looks fine too.
What are everyones thoughts?? Rebuild needed?? Or have I been lucky and had the water enter through the exhaust and sit in the pipe?? Bike is a 2018 ec 300.
Thanks in advance.

JC

Old 07-26-2019, 05:34 AM

Hi,

I think if it got in trough the air box the bike would stop running, the spot that it could have entered was the exhaust. Mine(EC 300 2018) get water in the gear oil if i do some river corssing's, i suspect that in my case it enters trough the power valve vent hole.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:24 AM

That's what I'm thinking (hoping) that it's come through the exhaust. Looking at the rings through the exhaust, there is no rust.. Hopefully another good sign...
Old 07-27-2019, 12:22 AM

Use a butt plug when washing? Possibly through exhaust spigot area if orings are cactus. Get it running & leave it run for 15-20 minutes.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

I used to always start my bike after washing and bring it up to temp. I then changed as I figured any moisture on the air filter would be sucked through and unless if you bring everything to operating temp you were just introducing more moisture.

If you've dropped the drain bolt out of the crank case and only got a bit of oil out and no water/emulsion then I'd say you're all good. Pull the spark plug and see how it looks.

Then like Shawbagga said, get it running and bring it to temp. It'll likely be fine! Spigot o-rings can certainly pass water when washing (pressure washing) if worn and it will pool at the lowest point (in the pipe).
Old 07-27-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
I used to always start my bike after washing and bring it up to temp. I then changed as I figured any moisture on the air filter would be sucked through and unless if you bring everything to operating temp you were just introducing more moisture.

If you've dropped the drain bolt out of the crank case and only got a bit of oil out and no water/emulsion then I'd say you're all good. Pull the spark plug and see how it looks.

Then like Shawbagga said, get it running and bring it to temp. It'll likely be fine! Spigot o-rings can certainly pass water when washing (pressure washing) if worn and it will pool at the lowest point (in the pipe).
Haha taken Nutty's advice too! I do the same. My only concern is that next ride if it's got water in somewhere electrical it shouldn't I won't know until I try start it. Touch wood no issues so far & I hose the shit outta my bike.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawbagga View Post
Haha taken Nutty's advice too! I do the same. My only concern is that next ride if it's got water in somewhere electrical it shouldn't I won't know until I try start it. Touch wood no issues so far & I hose the shit outta my bike.
You'd think that if you got water into an electrical connection you'd cause more issues feeding power to it by starting the bike too.

No real concerns with tap water here. It's pretty soft.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:55 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice. I got it all back together and fired it up.. All seems to be as it was previously. Fingers crossed..
JC