Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:01 PM

Default 1999 MC250 Serial # 1

A collector friend has entrusted me with the first MC250 imported to North America. He used to own a dealership and purchased it after the first race tour. I believe the bike was written up in Dirt World for the launch of Gas Gas MC line. Does anyone have any information on the write up issue or perhaps a copy of it? I want to authenticate that this was indeed the first MC250 imported. The article has a picture of the bike which will show identifiing marks.

Any thoughts on what to do with this bike? Seems a shame to ride it, or to hide it in a basement.

Thanks for any information or advice.

Gas Gas #1.jpg

Old 04-16-2018, 09:40 PM

Default 1999 MC250 Serial # 1

Comment deleted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2018, 11:55 PM

Ride it.
Life's short.

Beat the brakes off that thing.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

That's a 1997 MC250.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasxc View Post
Ride it.

Life's short.

Beat the brakes off that thing.

I agree. I would probably take the original plastics off and put replacements on. Its not really a collector piece.

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife
Old 04-18-2018, 02:44 AM

What do you base this on? Seems to contradict a lot of other evidence. Some of which was on this board.

MattR posted a Gas Gas history thread in which he stated "(Prior to 1999 the MC was known as the MX.)"

So, when was the first MC line introduced to N. America? And does anyone recall a write up in a national magazine about the new MC line?

Thanks you for your reply though.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Matt's post isn't accurate as gasgas factory website has a picture of a 98 mc250 on their website.

http://www.gasgasmotos.es/en/previou...models-5-.html

Jeff
Old 04-18-2018, 01:34 PM

The 98 MC250 may make sense for a release date of 1999. I see no technical data for the 98 or 99 MC250 models. Then nothing until 2002? This fits with the launch story I was aware of for the MC250 launch in N. America. Like I stated before, I am in search of all historical information.

Are you aware of any dealers that were around at that time and are currently active? They may be a way to get a better glimpse into the Gas Gas history. The previous owner has a lot of credibility IMO. He was a dealer, and very invested in the performance, growth, and development of the brand. As a collector, he has very refined taste and interest in unique bikes as well. He purchased the Bike from the factory race support team at the end of the race tour and it he had Manufacture's Statement of Origin and assorted documetation to support that it was the first import.

He could not produce the national magazine article (yet), but thinks it was Dirt World. The article has the remaining identification details as well as a clear description of Gas Gas's product line and promotional efforts.

So, if you have any information or where to look for it would be appreciated. I have yet to see any information that would dispute that this is the #1 serial number bike and the prototype used to launch the new MC250 line. Other than the 2 comments on this post. I have seen no information to suggest that there was a 97 MC250 produced for N. America as stated prior in the thread. However, I am not saying it is not possible!

I am aware that the development and commercialization of motorvehicle product is not always a clean and clear process, hence, a prototype classification ( or several prototypes). And sometimes these prototypes had a mish mash of parts due to engineering, sourcing, or part availabillty circumstances.

As is, the current body of evidence leads me to believe it is the first MC250 model imported and it was used for a race circuit tour (of note, the rider suffered a season ending race injury that cut the tour short). This bike also has a 4 speed gearbox, which was deemed to be a poor fit for N. American tracks and later changed for this market, but not the Euro market.

Again, I really appreciate your, and the other member's, comments that this IS NOT THE first N. American imported MC250. I invite others to share their opinions and any clues to this 20 year old Gas Gas mystery. Please forward forward any opinions, information, or contacts that may help. Please share this information within the Gas Gas community as well. Much of the information being sought was in the early days of the internet and those with firsthand knowledge may not have transitioned to the internet shift. That is why I am appealing to the internet Gas Gas community to reach out to the broader community. It could make for some great threads and usher in a wealth of information not currently in the electronic format.

Gas Gas is a great motorcycle product IMO and a great story which deserves preservation! Who better to lead this effort than the current leaders of this community?

Thank you Webmaster. And thank you to allfrom senior members to new members in the community.

Legacy
Old 04-18-2018, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Your MC has a '97 swing arm.
Maybe it was swapped on your bike as an "upgrade".
Old 04-18-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
The 98 MC250 may make sense for a release date of 1999. I see no technical data for the 98 or 99 MC250 models. Then nothing until 2002? This fits with the launch story I was aware of for the MC250 launch in N. America. Like I stated before, I am in search of all historical information.

Are you aware of any dealers that were around at that time and are currently active? They may be a way to get a better glimpse into the Gas Gas history. The previous owner has a lot of credibility IMO. He was a dealer, and very invested in the performance, growth, and development of the brand. As a collector, he has very refined taste and interest in unique bikes as well. He purchased the Bike from the factory race support team at the end of the race tour and it he had Manufacture's Statement of Origin and assorted documetation to support that it was the first import.

He could not produce the national magazine article (yet), but thinks it was Dirt World. The article has the remaining identification details as well as a clear description of Gas Gas's product line and promotional efforts.

So, if you have any information or where to look for it would be appreciated. I have yet to see any information that would dispute that this is the #1 serial number bike and the prototype used to launch the new MC250 line. Other than the 2 comments on this post. I have seen no information to suggest that there was a 97 MC250 produced for N. America as stated prior in the thread. However, I am not saying it is not possible!

I am aware that the development and commercialization of motorvehicle product is not always a clean and clear process, hence, a prototype classification ( or several prototypes). And sometimes these prototypes had a mish mash of parts due to engineering, sourcing, or part availabillty circumstances.

As is, the current body of evidence leads me to believe it is the first MC250 model imported and it was used for a race circuit tour (of note, the rider suffered a season ending race injury that cut the tour short). This bike also has a 4 speed gearbox, which was deemed to be a poor fit for N. American tracks and later changed for this market, but not the Euro market.

Again, I really appreciate your, and the other member's, comments that this IS NOT THE first N. American imported MC250. I invite others to share their opinions and any clues to this 20 year old Gas Gas mystery. Please forward forward any opinions, information, or contacts that may help. Please share this information within the Gas Gas community as well. Much of the information being sought was in the early days of the internet and those with firsthand knowledge may not have transitioned to the internet shift. That is why I am appealing to the internet Gas Gas community to reach out to the broader community. It could make for some great threads and usher in a wealth of information not currently in the electronic format.

Gas Gas is a great motorcycle product IMO and a great story which deserves preservation! Who better to lead this effort than the current leaders of this community?

Thank you Webmaster. And thank you to allfrom senior members to new members in the community.

Legacy

Jim Cook responded to you on your other thread on this subject. He was a GG dealer from day one and seemed to provide all the facts you need. While it may indeed be the first in a production run, it is very unlikely that it is anything special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk