Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 06-21-2009, 03:22 AM

Default Blue/Yellow wire disconnect, must you now retrim??

Hey...yo...

I have found a bike shop that is closer than the 2 hour drive one way to my "local" GasGas dealer/expert.

They do a lot of EFI and DUCATI stuff.
I wanted them to trim the EFI as I think it was running a bit rich.
I also had the weeping cylinder gasket done there as well.
I am hoping I can build a relationship with these guys and get the bike running as good as it should/could be.

They found it was a bit rich and the injector was a little blocked causing it not to atomise the fuel properly.
They also found a few ECU errors and said they found the cause to be bad earthing...

When I got the bike back I took it for a quick spin and all seemed fine, it went really well & started easy from Hot or Cold.

I noticed they did not run the throttle cable the right way when putting it all back together so I took the tank of to fix it.

That's when I noticed they had reconnected the Blue/Yellow wire under the ECU that I had disconnected and capped with heatshrink when I first got the bike.

So... the question now is:
  1. Do I leave it as it is.
  2. Do I disconnect it again and just ride it or does it need to be re-trimmed AGAIN!!?

I have also thought about wiring it up to a switch but can't work out from other posts if it only works when you turn the key off then on.

Your thoughts??

Old 06-21-2009, 06:19 AM

I've been told to leave it disconnected.. If it is connected it doesn't run well at all and is NOT another ignition map like other brand bikes.. It is basically there to pass emissions only...

"It's Nature that Brings out the Madness"
GasGas FSR450 07'
Old 06-21-2009, 08:54 AM

I have connected mine to a switch on the handlebars. I thought it might be a more fuel efficient mode. Anyway, my impressions of the switch have already been posted on this site but let me say again. With the switch connected to ground the motor hesitates on acceleration until it gets at least to midrange. Also, the gas mileage is worse than having it disconnected. I did street miles with it both ways and tried to economize to obtain max fuel economy. Fuel mileage was much worse with it connected and that I just don't understand.

Oh, and re: turning the switch on and off. I asked that question and did not receive an answer so that was one of my main reasons fore using the switch.

You can just switch back and forth while riding. The most noticeable differences occur at less than 1/2 throttle. At about 1/4 throttle you can actually hear and feel the motor slow down when you switch to the connected mode.

Tony
Old 06-21-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_tony View Post
Oh, and re: turning the switch on and off. I asked that question and did not receive an answer so that was one of my main reasons fore using the switch.

Tony
Thanks Tony, I saw your post without the answer.
From what you say about worse fuel economy and from JDRoz comment (Thanks JDRoz) I think I will leave it disconnected.

The real question is: do I now need it re-trimmed ?
It was last trimmed with the wire connected.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavGav View Post
The real question is: do I now need it re-trimmed ?
It was last trimmed with the wire connected.
And that is a question you should ask the Ducati guy that tuned it. Explain everything you have read/heard here and pose the question. Sounds like they know their stuff and maybe they tuned it with the wire connected so it runs good? Try disconnecting it now and see what happens. Perhaps it runs better, perhaps worse, perhaps no change. Try it and see.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:16 PM

I have A 450FSR,the impression I get is that.Wire diconnect=more responsive throttle with less fuel economy(race mapping).........Wire connected=unresponsive in first halve of throttle with better fuel economy.(emmisions mapping)

My yellow/blue wire connected is together with a black wire attached to the EFI control box via eyelet and bolt.This suggests that leaving it connected is grounded,and disconnecting it is ungrounded.By putting it on a switch and grounding that to the engine you arn't changing anything accept the location of the ground.

IMHO you need to disconnect and leave it tapped up.My bike didn't require a re-trim and if you were to connect it and re-trim you would just end up with the same mapping as having it disconnected.

On a side note running the bike with it connected is more fuel efficient and fine if you are on the road and your bike can cool easily.But what I found was that in the tight singletracks on a hot day I had over heating issues if I was in the tight trails for too long.This suggests that the emmision controlled mode just leans the bike out to get better fuel economy.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organdonor View Post
I have A 450FSR,the impression I get is that.Wire diconnect=more responsive throttle with less fuel economy(race mapping).........Wire connected=unresponsive in first halve of throttle with better fuel economy.(emmisions mapping)

My yellow/blue wire connected is together with a black wire attached to the EFI control box via eyelet and bolt.This suggests that leaving it connected is grounded,and disconnecting it is ungrounded.By putting it on a switch and grounding that to the engine you arn't changing anything accept the location of the ground.

IMHO you need to disconnect and leave it tapped up.My bike didn't require a re-trim and if you were to connect it and re-trim you would just end up with the same mapping as having it disconnected.

On a side note running the bike with it connected is more fuel efficient and fine if you are on the road and your bike can cool easily.But what I found was that in the tight singletracks on a hot day I had over heating issues if I was in the tight trails for too long.This suggests that the emmision controlled mode just leans the bike out to get better fuel economy.
Spot on ,I couldn't have said it better myself

"It's Nature that Brings out the Madness"
GasGas FSR450 07'
Old 08-26-2009, 06:07 PM

I agree with all three. Do what Skidad suggested and call them and let them know about the need to disconnect the yellow/blue wires. I would guess he will have to retune it. On my first break-in ride on my '05 fse, I could hear the fluid in my radiator's boiling. Thanks to this site, I learned about the yellow/blue wire and all was well. It made a huge difference in performance. Good luck and let us lknow how it goes.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 08-26-2009, 06:31 PM

If you assume the 2 maps are separate then it will most likely follow that each map has a fuel trim setting associated with it. I have no evidence to support this yet but I am working on it. I am also sure that the eeprom has a number of parameters that are settable for each map which are not available in the overpriced software presumably because Marelli wanted it that way. It may be "hackable" and if it is I will share it.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui-gon View Post
If you assume the 2 maps are separate then it will most likely follow that each map has a fuel trim setting associated with it. I have no evidence to support this yet but I am working on it. I am also sure that the eeprom has a number of parameters that are settable for each map which are not available in the overpriced software presumably because Marelli wanted it that way. It may be "hackable" and if it is I will share it.
If that were the case it would be a crazy mod. to leave the race map alone and change the emmision map to some "super race mode" or "super bottom end mode"........if thats even possible.