Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:43 PM

Default a question concerning our passion

has anyone of you ever moved out of your country to be able to ride (more) then where you lived before?
the thing is, i have no deacent (legal) spot to ride and riding is a necessity to me (and many of us) to feel good, to charge the personal batteries again to cope with the struggles of life (big or small)

i was just curious if anyone ever made such an drastic decision?

thanks, Hannes.
Belgium.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:00 PM

Smile

Not moved only for a better place to ride, but i moved from Scotland to the Isle of Man. ( google isle of man TT ) Met my wife and offerd a job when over here racing .
We have a lot of good , legal, tracks and trails, but are getting more pressure from the tree huggers.
Having a great time on my 03 EC300 . Best bike ever

Ride safe, have fun
Old 12-06-2011, 04:20 PM

I have heard reports of people leaving the UK for France, with the availability of trail riding being high on the list of priorities. Also know of people leaving the UK so that they could hunt with dogs ( was made largely illegal here a few years ago). You would have to look at the big picture though - no point moving to a country with lots of places to ride if you didn't enjoy the other aspects of living there.

Considered leaving the UK myself - trail riding is very restricted and the future of enduro looks bleak because of planning laws. It is also too overcrowded and the culture of our nation appears to be headed for a bad place. However, I couldn't come up with an alternative country with a work / practical / play balance with strong enough appeal.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I have considered it and am trying to make it happen, I love sand riding, and have very little of it here in the uk one or two sand lanes in the whole of the uk.

So my plan is to move to a country where the prominent surface is sand, it just has to be the right job to enable me to support my wife and I'm leaving this country!
Old 12-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannesd View Post
has anyone of you ever moved out of your country to be able to ride (more) then where you lived before?
the thing is, i have no deacent (legal) spot to ride and riding is a necessity to me (and many of us) to feel good, to charge the personal batteries again to cope with the struggles of life (big or small)

i was just curious if anyone ever made such an drastic decision?

thanks, Hannes.
Belgium.
I feel for you Hannes. You are right - to be able to "charge the batteries" is a very important thing, especially if you don't exactly love the job you are doing all day.
I have a slightly different problem... across the road from me is a beach, behind me is a large farm that I can ride on. At this time year, after work, I can't decide if I should go for a ride or a windsurf...sigh.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Not yet, but am considering defecting to Canada.

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 12-06-2011, 06:26 PM

I never moved out of the country or even the state for that matter, but I did move an extra 30 miles from work so I could have my own trails. I bought 80 acres just to have a place to ride when I want to.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:41 PM

Hannes,
Move to Texas, bring plenty of that great Belgium beer, and we will ride every weekend--- some weekdays too.

bchatt...i hate you, but i would like to come and visit, sounds awesome.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:04 PM

If you're not getting what you want out of work, why work at all? I would absolutely change locations or jobs to get what I want out of life.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:48 PM

I moved 2500 miles to be close to good white water kayaking. Problem is, I never dreamed that with all this mountainous terrain that there would be so little enduro riding available nearby.

I can paddle a 15' waterfall a half mile from my house and ride world class mountain bike trails 7 minutes from my doorstep, but have to go 45 minutes away to ride a crappy little overused rutted out ORV park that is losing trails every month it seems.

They treat us like criminals here. I feel like a skateboarder with a bigger budget.