Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:52 AM

Question Left hand rear brake???

I'm looking for a setup for my 08 GG EC300 that will put the rear brakes on my handlebar along with my clutch. Not interested in an auto-clutch, just want to either re-locate the rear brakes or get a lever in addition to the pedal.

I'd be willing to replace the brake and clutch master cylinders if I absolutely had to do it to get what I'm after, but I'm hoping there's something out there already that will let me keep most (if not all) of my stock parts.

Anyone seen anything like this?

1999 GasGas TXT270
AMA (www.ama-cycle.org)
TRH (www.trh-cycle.org)
MSRA (www.msra-cycle.org)

I may not be able to tell you who you SHOULD buy from, but I can definitely tell you who you SHOULD NOT buy from.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

There's a discussion on the K%^Talk web site.

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=341865&hl=
Old 06-01-2009, 05:05 PM

If you are interested I have a duel control LHRB setup from rekluse if you are interested let me know. It works with the stock MC or I have an extra that I could sell with it.
Jason
Old 06-02-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getndirty View Post
I'm looking for a setup for my 08 GG EC300 that will put the rear brakes on my handlebar along with my clutch. Not interested in an auto-clutch, just want to either re-locate the rear brakes or get a lever in addition to the pedal.

I'd be willing to replace the brake and clutch master cylinders if I absolutely had to do it to get what I'm after, but I'm hoping there's something out there already that will let me keep most (if not all) of my stock parts.

Anyone seen anything like this?
I've seen a thing like this, its called a Clake. It has two points of pivot, one for the clutch and one fore rear brake. It isn't however cheap, about $1300AUS I think. I'll have a search and see what I can find

EDIT: http://www.clake.com.au/

'03 GasGas EC200 My bike
'89 Yamaha TT250 R.I.P - Lost in the Black Saturday Fires
Old 06-02-2009, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt2224 View Post
If you are interested I have a duel control LHRB setup from rekluse if you are interested let me know. It works with the stock MC or I have an extra that I could sell with it.
Jason
Didn't know they did one that worked with GasGas. Is it for GG or did you adapt stuff?
Old 06-02-2009, 05:54 AM

Thanks for all the replies!

I eventually found a couple of mentions of the Clake in various places - the price appeared a bit steep - about $880 US with the current exchange rate, but it got good to great reviews everywhere I saw it mentioned.

I spoke with tech support at Rekluse and they said they didn't have any GG specific rear brake only applications, but did mention that one of the owners had mounted a thumb brake from a mountain bike parts supplier (Hayes) - he didn't have any more details than that.

So I started searching for thumb brakes and found quite a bit more information on that subject. I looked at the Hayes website and just couldn't wrap my brain around how I'd get one of their brake solutions to fit the left side of my bars along with the clutch.

I eventually found GP Tech (www.gptechllc.com), called and talked to Josh and wound up ordering their Billet Handlebar thumb brake (http://www.gptechllc.com/thumbrake.html), minus the usually included brake line and a few other bits. I'll call Spiegler this morning and order a custom brake line from them.

I opted to eliminate my current rear master cylinder and foot brake and go direct from the left handlebar to the rear caliper, but there's a solution to just tap into the current master cylinder so you gain the thumb brake and don't lose your foot brake. The solution just didn't work with my current master cylinder.

Hopefully everything will be here and installed in time for me to test it out this weekend.
1999 GasGas TXT270
AMA (www.ama-cycle.org)
TRH (www.trh-cycle.org)
MSRA (www.msra-cycle.org)

I may not be able to tell you who you SHOULD buy from, but I can definitely tell you who you SHOULD NOT buy from.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:10 PM

try fullthrottle.com they make a rear master cylinder that lets you run a hand brake and retain your stock foot brake, i have one one my stuntbike and it works awesome.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:47 PM

fullthrottleinc.net. sorry i gave you the wrong address in the last post, check out there master cylinders for a honda cbr 600
Old 06-02-2009, 09:24 PM

Ian,
Rekluse put this package togather for me. The only change made to my 04' was the purchase of a 07' master cylinder that I bought from KDXfiles.

1) 419-003a Dual actuated brake line
2) 180-012 Yamaha MC sleeve
3) 412-101 Banjo bolt
4) 414-230 Crush Washers (2)
5) 418-902 Size 113 oring (2)
6) rms-230A Clutch removal kit (used when there is no overide)
196-210 Install manual.

This unit works perfectly and uses the stock clutch MC. I just cannot make myself use it and would just assume get rid of it.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:26 AM

I will be VERY inerested to see the results you get with just the thumb brake. What kind of power you get with it. There is a guy over on the orange site who has done a ton of work with different lever mounted rear brake setups and claims that thumb brakes just don't work with any kind of decent power (yes that thumb setup has been discussed). I like the idea myself but more as an auxiliary option and would keep the foot pedal as your thumb is gonna really tire easily compared to the foot or even a finger activated rear brake.

Anyway, good luck with this cool experiment and of course pics and a ride report when you get a chance.