Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 11-30-2007, 06:42 PM

Default 03 GasGas 450FSE Frustration

Well I bought one based on my EC200 and how well it performed. It was between this or a Honda 450. I didn't really do any research on this bike since it is a GasGas! and everyone has a Honda. I guess I should have, because all I am hearing are horror stories about this bike ranging from starter problems, EFI problems, Valve problems, Gasket problems and the list continues. Well I am just frustrated. Please tell me what upgrades I need for this bike to make it reliable and race worthy and where I can purchase the bike. I don't wanna regret buying this bike since it is a GasGas and I don't wanna ever have one that can't win a race with. I am going to set it up for endurance races and desert races. The motivational factor is beating those Hondas and KTMs. They make great bikes and deserve the credit due, but so does GasGas in my opinion, up until I bought this bike. I know that this bike has the potential but lacks the correct setup. I bought the software for the bike and can hook up my laptop and adjust any fuel/air and timing, so If there are any specifics that I should run that would benefit the bike let me know. I know I am not the only one that was disappointed with this bike, but I still think it can be an amazing ride with just a little research and hopefully a little bit of money.

Thanks

Old 12-01-2007, 11:19 AM

You will need an exhaust gas analyzer to properly set up the fuel trim. The cams in the earlier 03's wern't the best. I have heard that some guys have used hot cams for the DRZ in place of the stock cams as well as DRZ valaes.Make sure your bike has the updated starter gear set. You can buy the sarter rebuild kit if the motor gets weak. Also the main power supply to
the starter motor is prone to coming loose. The LTR impeller upgrade is a must for these bikes aswell. 06 and newer are a much more sorted machine from the feed back i have heard. If I was going to buy a 4 stroke i would not hesitate to buy a new GG450. I have 3 seasons of heavy abuse on the 03 but it was a little troublsome at times. The fun I had on that bike far outwayed it though.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:17 PM

Default Great Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGas View Post
You will need an exhaust gas analyzer to properly set up the fuel trim. The cams in the earlier 03's wern't the best. I have heard that some guys have used hot cams for the DRZ in place of the stock cams as well as DRZ valaes.Make sure your bike has the updated starter gear set. You can buy the sarter rebuild kit if the motor gets weak. Also the main power supply to
the starter motor is prone to coming loose. The LTR impeller upgrade is a must for these bikes aswell. 06 and newer are a much more sorted machine from the feed back i have heard. If I was going to buy a 4 stroke i would not hesitate to buy a new GG450. I have 3 seasons of heavy abuse on the 03 but it was a little troublsome at times. The fun I had on that bike far outwayed it though.
I was going to first get the MCCT. Is this a good idea? What is a exhaust gas analyzer? Where do I get the updated starter gear set? What is a LTR impeller upgrade? Is the DRZ hot cam interchangable, and are the valves, or does it require modifications? What is wrong with the stock cam and valve? Great response to my question but I need it a tad dumbed down. Sorry. I really appreciate the input though. What year DRZ is it compatible with?

Last edited by ktownrider; 12-01-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:12 AM

From what I have been told the DRZ uses the same profile . but has a different journal size and will require some clylinder head machining.

"It's Nature that Brings out the Madness"
GasGas FSR450 07'
Old 12-02-2007, 06:14 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

A friend of mine changed all his valves on his '04 450 to Kibblewhite Black diamond valves for DRZ400.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:18 PM

Default Cam

Can I just get a stock GG 05 FSE cam? Or should I just upgrade to the hotcams? I am assuming I am going to have to take it to the shop to get this done since it requires machining and if so what will it run, cost wise? Is there shops that I can buy the cam already machined and then install it? I think most of the valve problems I am hearing about are cam related, or am I off? I still am going to do the valves just because....

Keep the info flowing and I am learning so much about how to approach this bike based on these forums. This is an amazing network of riders.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Still at it

Starts up fine and I have the software for it and have trimmed it to 55. My next question is that in neutral i will rev the engine slowly up to speed then abruptly it will bog down or completely die. I have read that you need to adjust the throttle positioning sensor, if this is true, what should that value be?
Old 12-13-2007, 11:30 AM

I have two 4T Gas Gas bikes and both are trimed between 38 and 45. It dosen't seem to matter what area of the country, these settings work. There are a few posts on here that back this claim up.
Anything below 38 my bikes back fire a little when I chop the throttle, over
45 they don't start as nice.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:05 AM

Default software

hi, does anyone know where i can get the software for my 03 450 fse
Old 12-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

www.technoresearch.com

I have no first hand experience of the technoresearch software, but as far as I understand, the throttle position value is given in degrees(In the VDSTS software) . So what you do is back off the idle adjuster screw until the throttle is COMPLETELY closed. Then perform a "TPS Reset". Reposition your idle adjuster, and the new reading for throttle position would be a few degrees. I have not tried this at home.