Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=skid jackson;40398]If you strip it out leave it alone until you get back from baja. [QUOTE]

Lay the bike on the side and fill through the oil sight glass plug.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:43 AM

[QUOTE=gasgasman;40416][QUOTE=skid jackson;40398]If you strip it out leave it alone until you get back from baja.
Quote:

Lay the bike on the side and fill through the oil sight glass plug.
Or fill it through the clutch cover.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:30 PM

WOW!!! I had problem.....was in serious state of panic.....the Gas Gas community came to help!!!! Thanks for all the ideas. You guys are the BOMB!!

gasgasman nailed it, used a TORX, drove it in with a ball peen hammer, it bottomed out, put a 3/8's breaker bar....out it came!!!

Ok, now to keep it from happening again. I think Glenn said, ditch the brass washer??? Opt for an "o"ring?? Sounds like a plan. I have never, ever had this happen, OEM fill plug.....

Ok, anyone know of a replacement fill plug?

I will be on the hook w/ GoFasters in the morning....

Thanks for all the GREAT idea's.....what a great bunch of guys!!!

Thanks

Rick
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 02-28-2010, 04:59 PM

Yes, ditch the washer. I have always used o-rings on both the fill and drain and snugged them down with two fingers using an allen key. Never a problem in 10 yrs on 3 GGs. Size is not even that important, I'll check what I have but you can start with a 12 x 1.5 thats used on the brake pedal pivot.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:17 PM

Thanks Rick, for bringing this up. I just got done changing my oil, and had to use the Torx trick on both plugs. And I'll be calling for some new plugs too. I was able to reinstall the worn plugs properly with the torx bit btw. I'll get a handful of the orings too.
Also, what type of funnel are U guys using? I didn't have a small enough one for the small fill hole. I used some tin foil and the smallest funnel I had.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 03-07-2010, 06:47 PM

I used to have a small yellow funnel that was used to fill a coleman gas camp stove. It came with a coleman stove my dad got back in the early seventies!! It worked perfect. I would lean the bike against the work bench a bit for a better angle then pop the funnel into the hole. the funnel was just big enough that it could be forced/snapped under one of the clamps on the gas line to the carb. this would hold it nice and tight to the fill hole. worked pissa!!! .... but i haven't been able to find the funnel lately ..... now I use a piece of manila file folder cut to size and rolled up into the shape of a funnel and taped to keep it from unrolling. I found that a pop top from a bottle of dawn would screw over an oil bottle I had I then put clear tube over the pop top and you could use that to inject oil into the hole. the componets did not fit that great so it could get a bit messy some times. plus it was kind of slow as you had to let air get back into the bottle. I have some commercial gear oil bottles that came from the local auto parts store. they are roundand hold abot a quart. the come with a neat cut to size squirt top thing ... again perfect for injecting into the hole. I'd use it in the tranny just to use up the oil but I don;t know if it has friction modifiers so I use the stuff on my chain. If I ever empty the damn bottle I might give that a try. You could use it to fashion a funnel of sorts ... The injection method should be nice and clean and fast but to date the camp stove funnel was the best and fastest ...

here you go .... mine was yellow and had no filter screen. I would pull hte screen as I think it would slow down the oil

http://www.campingcomfortably.com/co...el-funnel.html
Old 03-07-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybars View Post
What type of funnel are U guys using? I didn't have a small enough one for the small fill hole. I used some tin foil and the smallest funnel I had.
Best thing I've found is those 85w, quart size, transmission oil bottles that have a fill tip made into the cap that looks like the tip of a tube of caulk. You can find them at any auto parts store or bike shop that sells Honda oils.
Just fill the bottle with your regular funnel and then squirt it into your gasser - the small tip will fit right into the fill hole.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

I use an empty caulk tube. Clean it out really well before using.

Make sure the tip will fit into the oil fill hole.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:33 PM

I use an old shampoo pump. I put a pressed on small nose, about 6 inches long onto the pump nozzle. I maked the bottle with a sharpie to the fill line and pump the oil into the tranny. Cheap, simple and clean.
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 03-08-2010, 11:45 AM

Wow guys! Great tips. I might have one of those squirt type containers from my carpentry day's. Used a light weight oil for my nail guns. It came in one of those squirt bottles. I also will order that Coleman for sure. Thanks, Bob.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1