Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Get a KDX or later model Gas Gas ec Phil.

KDX 220 = best bang for your buck 2 stroke made ever, IMHO.

Great beginners bike stock. As a beginner gets more comfortable a couple mods and anyone could still be competitive in the woods on one of these. KX forks and the 200's carb and these bike are quite good. I wish I still had my 01 it was a fun bike.
Walked out the door brand new for $3300.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 01-01-2013, 11:16 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVERUP View Post

Great beginners bike stock. As a beginner gets more comfortable a couple mods and anyone could still be competitive in the woods on one of these. KX forks and the 200's carb and these bike are quite good. I wish I still had my 01 it was a fun bike.

Roscoe
Well, Roscoe, if I could find one that wasn't 3 hours away for a reasonable price I would. But, Brad doesn't believe that a 200 or 220 would haul him around and there is no way that I would try to change his mind. He really wants a 300 (no replacement for displacement, right?) and I am just trying to help. I believe that the 300 MXC I found is priced well enough that he could ride it for a couple of months and sell it if it doesn't work for him. He would at least break even on the bike, and gain some knowledge in the mean time.

We went on a ride at Walker Valley the other weekend and a KDX 200 was in the group. Brad kept up and caught up to the 200 pretty easily and he thinks the 200 is the reason, not the rider. Beyond wedging a 200 or 220 under his butt, I don't know of any way to get him to even try one out. I think he is too used to the torque of the XR400 and he isn't quite up to speed on using the clutch to achieve traction without wheel spin. I watched that 200 tackle some tricky terrain (funky town, as an example) and I think that it is a very capable bike. But like I said, the 300 power is very intoxicating. I'll look at the 300 and help brad decide from there. Unless anyone finds a 200 or 220 under their pillow and decides to hand it off for a weekend.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:

Roscoe
Speaking of EC's, do you recognize this one? Price out of line (look closely at the expansion chamber)?
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/3501860443.html
Old 01-02-2013, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscook View Post
Speaking of EC's, do you recognize this one? Price out of line (look closely at the expansion chamber)?
It'd be worth the price of a phone call, to at least inquire. Remember, I got mine with a box full of extras, for $2100. I got an excellent condition low hour 300 for $2900, back in April(son-in-law's bike). Just information.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscook View Post
Ha Ha! very good chance that was once my bike! Ask Him if he bought it used from Bill at Skagit Powersports. La conner is up that way. It still has my CycleGear sponsor stickers on the swing arm, and the carbon fork guards with big zip ties are signature Roscoe. That bike was a rocket. 2K2

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 01-02-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Ha Ha! very good chance that was once my bike! Ask Him if he bought it used from Bill at Skagit Powersports. La conner is up that way. It still has my CycleGear sponsor stickers on the swing arm, and the carbon fork guards with big zip ties are signature Roscoe. That bike was a rocket. 2K2
If he bought it from Bill, that would explain the high asking price. Maybe I'll give him a call, it's only an hour each way to LaConner. I spent many summers up there working in my mother's bookstore, but it's been a while so I'm due for a decent ride around the valley. A little street bike ride on Best Road above the valley is always good for the soul.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:19 PM

A couple more things I notice on the craigslist bike that leads me to believe this is my former 2006 DE 300 is the front fender brace mod. This allows you to run the stock MX plate and fender brace simutainiously. Also the aluminum frame guards over the plastic stock frame guards mod I did.

This is how it looked when I sold it to Bill at the end of 2007.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
A couple more things I notice on the craigslist bike that leads me to believe this is my former 2006 DE 300 is the front fender brace mod. This allows you to run the stock MX plate and fender brace simutainiously. Also the aluminum frame guards over the plastic stock frame guards mod I did.

This is how it looked when I sold it to Bill at the end of 2007.

That thing looks wicked sharp in your pic. i would buy that one. maybe not the other one in the ad...

What about a KTM 250 SX? To pointy and focused for a first timer on a 2t?
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/3527316176.html

Here's a better example-
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/3527023896.html