Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:22 PM

I never foul plugs either, but always like to check it before a race or big ride. Murphy says I'd foul a plug if I got that bike. We also jet on the trail, but mostly when setting up a bike. Just did a PWK swap and jetting on a Husky WR250 and that tank has to come off too. I guess its a trade off if you want it thats all. It'll be a hit with some and a sore spot with others I'm sure. I think the e-start haters are pissed simply because they were denied a choice. I bet you can take the shock out faster than the plug!

Old 01-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

So true, the shock is super easy access. But that's another trade off. Easy maintenance, not so great performance.

Oh, and by the way, I'm no longer an E-start hater. I wouldn't buy a bike based on whether it had the button or not, I need a bike that works as a package. Overall though, it's no longer a negative to me, especially since I felt the bike was lighter than mine, and it had the electric starter.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 01-15-2008, 02:50 PM

Getting to the plug on my 97 KTM 250 is a bear. It can be done and removed with the tank on with the Motion Pro flat ratchet plug remover. Still sucks especially with a hot motor. I use a really nifty little rubber boot on the spark plug that KTM supplies that gently seals against the top of the cylinder head when the plug is tightened so no dirt or mud can fall down in the plug hole.

Jetting is also a pain in the arse. I need to remove the seat and tank and shrouds to access my carb. To turn it so you can get at the floatbowl you also have to remove the chain protector at the countershaft sprocket. I just leave this thing off while jetting. You can have the seat and tank/shrouds off in 5 minutes but it's still just a major pain to do over and over again while making changes.

Glad to hear the GG is much better in this regard and makes you more inclined to play with jetting instead of living with not so perfect jetting because the carb is so hard to get to. It looks like the 08 KTM's are much better now with the new small cylinders on the 250 and 300.

I haven't fouled a plug in years either but I like to do throttle chops while jetting and that plug is stinking HOT to remove. No room for a gloved hand at all to remove it. Kevlar glove liners.

Skidad in mA
Old 01-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

on my '07 KTM 300W, I got to where I hated the wide ratio gearing, it was always in the wrong gear. I actually bought a used SX gearset to swap out the 2-3, but when I realized that even after all that time & $, I would still hate the turning & suspension, I swapped it for this here Gas Gas & have no regrets. anybody want to buy an SX gear set?

I also once had a '97 250 EXC. nice bike, but a total tank & too hard to turn. it did have nice suspension, tho, b/t the Ohlins w/linkage & the old-school 'Zoke fork.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:44 PM

Talking

If you need any parts for that 97 KTM we have a complete 96 model 250exc that was parked over 3 years ago. It ran great when parked and still turns over. The bike has an aftermarket triple clamp and an Olins rear shock. The bike belongs to my son but he would be happy to sell it for $400, maybe less. - Ken
Old 01-15-2008, 05:06 PM

Why is a Gas Gas more difficult to work on than a KTM?

Rick
Old 01-15-2008, 05:07 PM

I can still see my buddy cursing on the side of the road in south jersey, a few minutes before our card was due to flip for the '98 Sandy Lane Enduro, with a fouled plug on that '97 300 and the plastic and tank on the ground. Temps in the 30s, cold motor, no so perfect jetting, and an impatient right hand.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:14 PM

The GasGas has linkage. This linkage has several different size fasteners to deal with. No big deal after you do it the first time, and it doesn't need constant service. The trick to R&R the GG linkage is to crack the fasteners loose on the bike and remome the entire linkage as a unit. There are a few other areas like the subframe that uses nuts and bolts, no inserts. Not a big deal to me.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
Why is a Gas Gas more difficult to work on than a KTM?

Rick
My biggest gripe is the multitude of fastener head sizes/types. I just picked up my "new-to-me" 2007 EC250. First thing I did was check over all bolts... boy did I have an assortment of wrenches out. I forgot how many different types of fasteners GG's have after wrenching on my KTM. You have 8,10,12,13,14mm hex head ; 3,4,5,6mm allen head ; 8mm torx head ; phillips screws both small and large ; swingarm pivot and linkage are english I think since they fit better... the list goes on but it's just a minor hassle. Which reminds me that I need to go thru my fanny pack and make sure I'm covered. I might as well strap my toolbox to my waist.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:48 PM

That's it?

That's the big complaint?

Pshaw !!

I thought it had something to do with removing seals, gaskets, or bearings.