Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
That's it?
That's the big complaint?
LOL. It is a bit annoying though. I don't think I ever used my 13mm wrench before this bike. For some reason I really hate 13mm. Honestly...I curse every time I have to grab that wrench or socket. I may need to see a shrink about this.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWMAN View Post
I also once had a '97 250 EXC. nice bike, but a total tank & too hard to turn. it did have nice suspension, tho, b/t the Ohlins w/linkage & the old-school 'Zoke fork.
Man you hit that right on the money LAWMAN. It is a tank (a VERY stable one) and it turns ok with the forks moved up in the clamps. Really nice woods bike suspension. I will never get rid of this bike as it's previous owner, a good friend of mine died of brain cancer so it will stay in the family.

Quote:
If you need any parts for that 97 KTM we have a complete 96 model 250exc that was parked over 3 years ago. It ran great when parked and still turns over. The bike has an aftermarket triple clamp and an Olins rear shock. The bike belongs to my son but he would be happy to sell it for $400, maybe less. - Ken
Gasser, thanks for that offer. I'll have to consider it but I should really put my money towards a new GG 300

Skidad in MA
Old 01-15-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Part of the 2-stroke advantage is the simplicity. The GG motor is clean and you can get to the plug easy and the carb rotated and rejetted in minutes if neccessary. Look at that KTM, you can't even see the left side of the cylinder. How is the right side? I remember on my '99 300 having to pull the tank on the trail just to change a needle clip position, PIA. To me, ease and speed of access to basic components on the trail far outweigh ease of service in the shop. While it can and will happen in tricky situations where it would be an advantage, stalling is not a big enough issue for me(or most I feel) to want an e-start 2-stroke. I'll take that weight loss and more simple design. Why they did that instead of a 6-speed is beyond me, but it will help sell a few GGs I'm sure.
Is the easy access plug a trade for less fuel capacity on the GG ? I will also add that the small tool kit that is supplied with the KTM's can dang near overhaul the bike. They look cheesy but are pretty handy and well thought out. It may seem to be an inconvenience to take the tank, shroud, seat combo off to get to the plug but on the 07 we got it down to a little over a minute with tools in hand.It takes a little longer to install though.
The only problem that we notice with the 5 sp is the gap between 4th and 5th.That would obviously be better on the GG.Although the motor on the 08 has enough torque spread to ignore the gaps in the transmission. One has to ride the 08 in hard trail conditions to appreciate the E start.There is a definite advantage .Bottom line!!
I believe from what I'm reading that the suspension and handling on the GG is better.My biggest concern is the bottom low down grunt of the motors in comparison.Does the LTR power valve cover help the GG ? How about a Gnarly pipe ?
Old 01-16-2008, 12:32 AM

Grunt? My 2000 XC300 has grunt. My '05 EC300 had less grunt, but the EC head has less compression. No problem. Have the head cut properly for under $100 at RB design. My '05 now has plenty of low-end grunt. I went down 1 tooth on the rear sprocket and chose a CCK needle for it's smooth linear feel.

I'm a poor GasGas pimp. I whore it out to other riders for test rides all the time. Most riders really gush about the bike. The riders of newer bikes don't want to like it, but they do.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Site Sponsor

As I had posted on another thread, the '08 seem to have gone to more 8mm hex head bolts then earlier models so it will make for easier wrenching. Not that they need much. It sure is nice to be able to get at the carb to jet then my old 300EXC.
'07 EC300 sold
'06 EC300 sold
'78 Suzuki RM250C2
'75 Yamaha YZ250B sold
Old 01-16-2008, 09:11 AM

The 250 has plenty of grunt, in fact thats why I like the 250s as the 300 is a bit much for me. If you want more the bikes can be tuned for it eaisly.

Despite what you may think about the GG fuel capacity, the milage is outstanding compared to a KTM. My KTMs were gas hogs as is my friends 300. He just had the head modified by RB Designs in an attempt to correct this.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:15 AM

All great info ! The 300 ec has my interest for the obvious reasons ,handling ,suspension ,gearbox. I'm sure the motor can be tuned for more bottom if needed. My 2 main complaints with my xcw300 is the race gas dependent and the suspension could use a little more work. I did the head ,piston mod on the bike and the fuel mileage with JD's needle is very good.70 miles to reserve on hard trail riding. The 08 isn't jetted quite as crisp and it goes on reserve at 55 miles in the same conditions.The 08 is way less finicky for temp and altitude.I'm sure the 08 could use a little compression help also but it runs too good on straight premium to mess with.The suspension needs work before anything.