Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 01-22-2014, 04:16 AM

Default 02, 400 FSE Starting Problems

Hate to bang on about this again, but, have got a mates bike which he bought about a year ago and has never been able to start. The guy he bought it from started it 2nd kick from cold!
Checked all I know, got spark, injector working, fuel pump running, cam timing ok, cam chain not too tight( bit stretched if anything). Starter just can't spin it over fast enough and virtually stalls on compression stroke.
Have since started it by jumping it from a car battery (sounds awesome) but even that's a bit hit and miss.
I did buy a 2nd hand DRZ cam which fits and does run but its not the same profile. The gas gas cam has higher lift and longer duration. The DRZ cam starts easier because the timing is retarded by about 2 teeth which brings in the decompressor later on the compression stroke.
My question is, has anyone found a more powerful starter motor that fits, or a longer kick start lever. What about a larger lithium ion battery?
The bike is in good condition otherwise and it would seem wrong to break it.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:15 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Do a search in this forum.There are manymany posts on this subject to do with the 02 400fse.The yz kicker fits.But it's a 12yr old bike with the s motor being cooked by the pipe.
I had one and it was ok.Wouldn't own one now but.
Break/wreck it and save your sanity.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:26 AM

Default Update on Starting Issues

Now got the GG starting almost instantly. The secret, 2 batteries. I have connected 6mm cables to the main earth point and to the live side of the starter relay, ran these to a 75Amp Anderson connector which is situated under the side panel by the air filter. I've also got a 2nd Anderson connector with leads connected to another YTZ7S battery. I give her about 3 kicks on the kicker, plug the second battery in, hit the button and starts instantly.
I carry the 2nd battery in a fender bag just in case but generally don't need it as once started in the morning, its ok for the rest of the day.
Once started, the bikes never misses a beat and have been riding trails at least once a week all summer.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:38 AM

Thank you for posting your fix!
I have a Pod-X pocket jump starter
That I carry with me now and I put
quick connects into the air box where
I don't need any tools to hook it up!
I attached a pic of the pod next to my hand
To show how small it is, these can be found at
CycleGear I've also used it to jump start a
V-6 SUV!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (131.7 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Adam_redneck; 12-28-2015 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Added info