Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 03-30-2016, 11:24 PM

Default '05 450 FSE Gear Stick/Engine Stall...

Hey GG Friends,

I'm experiencing my bike stalling when dropping into 1st on the first ride of the day. It happens a few times and then finally I'm able to drop into first gear and ride. I'm guessing the clutch plates are sticking together.

Anyone have any tips on removing the clutch plates to inspect?

Thanks,

~Jon

Old 03-31-2016, 12:17 AM

Adjust your clutch lever first! Two screws on the clutch lever. If that doesn't help then just take clutch plates out and clean them and put them together again. You just have to remove the clutch cover...so it's not hard job
Old 03-31-2016, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafka View Post
Adjust your clutch lever first! Two screws on the clutch lever. If that doesn't help then just take clutch plates out and clean them and put them together again. You just have to remove the clutch cover...so it's not hard job
And ALWAYS remember put them back the same way and in the same order they came out!!! Otherwise you're going to burn the clutch anyway.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:06 AM

u got a hydraulic clutch probly just needs bleeding or wait for the bike to warm up, i had the same thing when i first rode my 04 gg
Old 04-04-2016, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the advice guys.

First tried the lever adjust, but still had issues... so I opened the clutch up and removed the plates. They all looked clean and the action of the pulling the clutch lever in on the pressure plates looked good with the clutch cover off.

What torque should the three pressure plate allen heads be set to?

The cover gasket broke into multiple pieces when I pulled the cover. Any suggestions on sourcing a new gasket for the cover?

Thanks,

~jon
Old 04-05-2016, 12:28 AM

Did you have something like this clutch in?
PICTURE

That is a slipper clutch....if you have this then use search or google....maybe you get more help. Somewhere i read that this slipper clutch is very picky of oil. What oil are you using?
Old 04-05-2016, 08:03 PM

Tafka,

Yup, that's the exact clutch that's in it. I have found Matto Cycle here in the states that has a good handle on parts. The pressure plate on the clutch is fatiguing and requires replacement. See pic attached.

I read on another thread that the cover just had an o-ring... unfortunately, the stock GG cover is gasket. Matto has an after market gasket with a thin plate, they claim it to be reusable a few times... put a little gasket dressing on that baby and it'll be just fine I think.

I'm using AmsOil Metric Synthetic 10w-40. I live in the Pacific Northwest of United States, so 10w-40 is a pretty standard weight... but perhaps something a little lighter viscosity would work better in the slipper clutch. Suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160405_125711.jpg (53.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20160405_125749.jpg (47.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 04-06-2016, 12:17 AM

Well sometimes i use old shoebox cardboard to make gaskets....for clutch gasket it works great :P
But for the oil...because my 2005 has standard clutch (sadly) then i don't have any recommendation...i use 10W50 full-synth, because i do slow forest tracks where the engine doesn't get the best cooling.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:06 PM

Cometic for the cover gasket
Old 04-07-2016, 10:50 PM

GG Readers,

I am learning a ton on this clutch and will post a quick document once I have it back together. I've made contact with Adige who makes the slipper clutch and they've been very helpful. Also Matto Cycle has a good supply of gaskets and o-rings for the '05 450 FSE. They got me the cover gasket to my door in two days, for a reasonable cost of $22 including shipping.

Thanks for the support.

~Jon