Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:08 AM

Default please guide me towards a better dual sport set up

Hi, my first post.
I'm buying a Gas Gas 450 Enduro . I would like to make it into a better traveler to the off road tracks that I like . I would like to put a smaller rear sprocket . How many teeth should I get ? I would like to be able to reach speeds of 70 mph w/o stressing the engine .
Thanks for any advise you might provide .
Vinny

Last edited by Vinny; 12-27-2010 at 12:10 AM. Reason: opps

Old 12-27-2010, 10:42 AM

Wait until you actually ride it to see what the gearing is like. Tall gearing will make it harder to ride on tight trails. You may find letting it rev a bit on the road is not too bad if you are going short distances. It costs less to go up one tooth on the front than to go 3 or 4 teeth smaller on the rear. This assumes there is enough room to mount a larger countershaft sprocket.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:28 PM

Default Turn signals ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil E. View Post
Wait until you actually ride it to see what the gearing is like. Tall gearing will make it harder to ride on tight trails. You may find letting it rev a bit on the road is not too bad if you are going short distances. It costs less to go up one tooth on the front than to go 3 or 4 teeth smaller on the rear. This assumes there is enough room to mount a larger countershaft sprocket.
You are right, I rode it today and it was ok up to 60 mph.
It has a 45 tooth on the rear. I'm just getting into the motorized off road ( do lots of mountain biking), I might still raise the gearing some.

It has wiring for turn signals. Any kits available to add turn signals / brake light / plate lighting for these 450's ?? It has a very small brake light and it does have a plate and current inspection. I just want to make it a little more road safe.

Thanks
Old 12-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Procycle.us has all sorts of different options and levels of dual sport kit. They can advise, or just sell you what you ask for. Turn signals, wiring help, whatever. They can be reached by phone (541)688-9543. Carl is the expert on all things D.S.

Too bad you don't live in Oregon, we could trade riding experiences. I also ride MTB's.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 12-27-2010, 09:53 PM

Default Thanks . Gear answers link here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostafish View Post
Procycle.us has all sorts of different options and levels of dual sport kit. They can advise, or just sell you what you ask for. Turn signals, wiring help, whatever. They can be reached by phone (541)688-9543. Carl is the expert on all things D.S.

Too bad you don't live in Oregon, we could trade riding experiences. I also ride MTB's.
WOW ! Thanks for the fast and complete answer.

Here is a link that I found on this site about gearing and sprocket changes:
http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...ed=1#post53565