Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Other...

Old 07-08-2020, 03:55 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser Nate View Post
If you were able to get the tyre back on the rim without levers, whoever installed it has broken the bead and that?s what caused the mousse to come out the side.
Seen it before a fair few times.
quite possibly, there is the right way to install a tyre with a mousse and a wrong way. The guys at six days enduro do it in about a minute and make it look easy

The hard way involves brute force and broken tyre levers and beads

Old 01-02-2023, 03:37 AM

just wondering does anyone run TUBliss gen2? What are your experiences, are mouses better? If so, what brand?
Old 01-03-2023, 03:15 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

It all depends on what you want. I don't run Tubliss, but the Swedish competitor T-Lock.

Mousse is better in some things, the Tubliss / T-Lock is better at other.

The feeling / advatages of having really light wheels (less unsprung and rotating mass) is the main reason why I run T-Lock instead of mousse.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 01-11-2023, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser nate View Post
if you were able to get the tyre back on the rim without levers, whoever installed it has broken the bead and that?s what caused the mousse to come out the side.
Seen it before a fair few times.
^^^^this^^^^
Moto Farm motor and suspension service 309 310 2540 leave a message
www.halls-cycles.com
Old 01-11-2023, 01:31 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryJ7 View Post
just wondering does anyone run TUBliss gen2? What are your experiences, are mouses better? If so, what brand?
I have run tubliss for many years, started with gen 1 in 2006 and eventually ended up gen2 - effectively the same, but gen2 refines some of the gen1 issues - if i remember it is things like rounder rimlock to prevent cutting through the tyre and thicker inner tube (i had my gen1 tube explode for no reason) but basically the same.

The benefit over a mousse is basically being able to change your tyre pressure as you want, whereas a mousse starts hard and ends its life soft so is only the correct pressure at a point in its life.
Mousse is puncture proof (provided it is installed correctly;-)) but tubliss can be plugged 95% of the time and provided the inner tube is in tact you can ride a flat tyre with almost no damage to the rim (i did about 50km of pretty extreme rocky riding at about 70% pace) on a sliced tyre and just replaced the tyre in the pits and rode the next day, the tubliss works like a full rimlock and also the inner works as a bit of a bumper about 20mm proud of the rim so even after the 50km the tyre was still in pretty good shape

in short, unless you are racing for a win i would rather go tubliss

(also it is also the easiest system when it comes to changing tyres - provided you follow the tubliss rules)
Old 01-12-2023, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryJ7 View Post
I've run Gen 1 and Gen 2 Tubliss for over a decade now. I've also run Michelin bib mousse's.

If you like a more dead feel, and absolute zero chance of failure during a race if everything was done right, a mousse might be for you. If my last name was Jarvis or Lettenbichler then it would be the only thing I would run when money is on the line. That said, I hated them. They're a PITA to install and maintain, I hate the dead feel, and they are more costly vs Tubliss or UHD tubes.

I'll admit, I'm a Tubliss fan boy. I love being able to adjust air pressure to find what works best for any compatible tire, easier tire changes (even though some seem to not be able to do it ), lasts way longer than a mousse, and I can finish a ride/race even on a flat tire as long as it isn't a super soft sidewall type, and fixing a flat requires nothing more than a tire plug. I've had this setup now on four bikes, two KDX's and two Gassers, and don't see myself changing anytime in the future.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 01-12-2023, 01:44 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Fanboy here too. Tubliss for trail.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)