Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:26 AM

Question Gas draining from float needle.

I just bought an EC 300 08. The guy I bought it off of told me that he had put some tripple tapper needle in the carb for better performance. He told me that gas was coming out of float needle over flow. He told me to make sure to turn the tank off when I stopped. I would prefer to have it working properly. I have read all of the possibles in this thread to check on, which I will do.(Float aready done). What he told me a friend of his who had the same problem did was to bend the float needle tang that it hangs on just a bit in the proper direction to make sure the needle was seating properly. Is this a good idea or not?

Old 05-12-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvermey View Post
I just bought an EC 300 08. The guy I bought it off of told me that he had put some tripple tapper needle in the carb for better performance. He told me that gas was coming out of float needle over flow. He told me to make sure to turn the tank off when I stopped. I would prefer to have it working properly. I have read all of the possibles in this thread to check on, which I will do.(Float aready done). What he told me a friend of his who had the same problem did was to bend the float needle tang that it hangs on just a bit in the proper direction to make sure the needle was seating properly. Is this a good idea or not?
It's a good idea.

Try and do it a tiny bit. In theory you can set the float height exactly off the bike and it's done by bending the tang & measuring. I've never had much success this way and it always leaks so I set it by the book then move it just enough to stop it leaking. Must be the way I measure or my old worn needle valve.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:46 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebrow View Post
Check that the float pivot pin/axle is not too loose. I have heard of carbs where the pivot becomes sloppy in the towers that support it. When this happens you get varying float heights.

This is so true, I have seen it several times, my fix in this case is to JB weld the holes closed and re-drill them.

I never go by the manual specs when it comes to float level for trail riding because the bike is all over the place hopping logs etc and with a 2 stroke it's more important to conserve on fuel than say MX.
I usually go a few mils past the factory specs and test ride and so on until it stops pissing...then I do some WOT runs and make sure it doesn't starve for fuel.
It took me a couple of trys to get my CR 250 to stop pissing and it's way past the factory specs.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

SUDCO has carb rebuild kits for $40.
The float is $16.

The float tang that operates the float needle needs to be parallel with the float needle.
Like it shows below.

This is critical because the tang will push the float needle over to the side preventing the seat from sealing.
The Gas Gas carbs are not horizontal like most bikes, that's why we have issues with the fuel dribbling out.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:27 PM

Default Fine sand particles

Hi Guy's

I had the same problem with my 07 250 ec. I replaced the needle, adjusted the float, cleanned and re-cleaned and still fuel over flowed. Due to my bike having a in-line fuel filter I thought that my fuel was cleaned. In the end I took off the tank and fuel tap, to my surprise it had a huge amount of very fine sand particle's. I could hardley see them but I could feel the grit. I cleanned the tank so many times, replaced the fuel filter. No more problems.
I went looking for the harder issues to resolve, keep your investigation process simple check off the easy reviews first, take this advice from someone who did the opposite spent too much time & money and didnt check the most basic requirement "clean Fuel".

Noel
Old 05-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
The Gas Gas carbs are not horizontal like most bikes, that's why we have issues with the fuel dribbling out.
I looked at some KTMs today and their carbs are at the same angle as ours.

Anyway.
My carb has been dribbling fuel a lot lately.
I replace the float , all the gaskets and the float needle.
Rode today and the dribbling is gone. The bike totally rips like it used to.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel View Post
had a huge amount of very fine sand particle's.
Noel
Dirt can also enter through the carb vent hoses.
This filter kit would be the hot set up.

http://www.7602racing.com/prod_t6cf.php

Last edited by gasgasman; 05-24-2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: added photo