Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 03-10-2020, 08:01 PM

Default adding a fan to a 2000 XC300

My friend gave me a brand new trail tech universal fan kit.
I'd like to throw it on my 2000 XC300 gasser. My original stator recently crapped out and I replaced with one out of a 2010 KTM 300 XCW. Works great. Big fat spark and bright headlight. Is the lighting output AC like the original stator? I assume so.
The fan runs on 12V DC and comes with its own voltage reg. What would I have to do to make the fan kit work? Add a battery at least?
I've read the thread about floating the ground. Not an expert with electrical so the theory of it is a bit over my head.
Can someone dumb it down for me?

Old 04-09-2020, 07:45 PM

I cant belive I'm the only guy wanting to add a fan to a bike without a battery.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:40 PM

I have never had my gasser over heat so no need for a fan.

02 EC 200
03 MC 250
88 VT 800
01 TXT 280
Old 04-10-2020, 08:43 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

There are some posts here about adding a fan, but if you don't have a battery you can add the GG TXT trials bike fan to your bike. I had it fitted on my 2010 300 with a handlebar switch to turn it on or off, all it needed was a rectifier. motocrosscenter sells it as a kit

https://www.motocrosscenter.com/shop...e-531vent.html
Old 04-11-2020, 08:52 AM

I’ve thought about adding a fan to my 2005. I had my bike and all my other riding partners bikes get a little hot and start to steam a few times last year when we were trying to cut some new trail which involved getting a little lost in some very slow gnarly terrain. My plan first course of action is to install the checkpointoffroad.ca billet impeller and then use water wetter or other type of performance coolant. I may also switch to a higher pressure radiator cap as the current one is only 1.2bar. If this doesn’t work then I will be installing a fan.
One of my riding buddies has a fan on his KTM and he is the only one that never overheats...

You shouldn’t need to install a battery to make the fan work unless you want the fan to operate after the bike is turned off. I will try to find an electrical schematic to help you with your setup. Floating the ground might be necessary as I played around with a rectifier for some heated grips last year and couldn’t get a decent DC voltage. Maybe that was my problem... I ended up just using the AC for the grips...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2020, 11:19 AM

The wiring is simple. Take the supplied rectifier and hook it up as follows:
Rectifier input to the stator yellow and chassiss ground.
Rectifier output directly to the fan. It will run any time the bike is running.
Or add a switch in series with one of the fan wires and control it manually.
Or add a thermoswitch in series with one of the fan wires and the fan will turn on at the preset temperature and turn off when the temperature drops.

Your original bike wiring is chassis grounded. The method above isolates the rectifier output from ground. In essence there are only two ways to go.
1) grounded stator requires isolated rectifier output (as above method)
2) stator modified to be ungrounded, then rectified output can be chassis grounded
Old 04-11-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvangeel View Post
Floating the ground might be necessary as I played around with a rectifier for some heated grips last year and couldn?t get a decent DC voltage. Maybe that was my problem... I ended up just using the AC for the grips...
I tried DC for heated grips, but my battery would eventually run down.
Hooked the grips up to AC and they work great.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:41 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil E. View Post
I tried DC for heated grips, but my battery would eventually run down.
Hooked the grips up to AC and they work great.
The heated grips are a resistor and they will work the same if they are powered from AC or DC. The DC fan will likely have issues operating from AC.

The bridge rectifier should address your issue. It may also help to add a electrolytic capacitor across the rectifier output to clean up the DC feeding the DC fan.