Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:33 PM

Default Anyone tried a gg1203 k/n on later model 300

I see it listed as 03-06, anyone tried it on the later models, always been partial to the product so if it fit it is something I'll add to my to do list when due for a replacement.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:06 PM

K&N filter? IMO, and that of many others, its one of the worst things you could put on a dirt bike. They pass dirt that is backed up by oil analysis. Google it.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:23 PM

+1 Stay away from KN!

To open another can of worms...I use NoToil...
Old 04-06-2012, 07:46 PM

Don't Know about the fitment for later years(07 to 12), if you're comfortable with the K&N, give it a try. I've used them for decades on 2 and 4 strokes, from Texas to Minnesota and never a problem. That said, K&N's won't stop water, or even slow it down! Any deep water/ stream crossing could be big trouble. I'm sure you'll get many thoughts/ opinions on K&N's, they seem have a polarizing effect with the users- Love'm or Hate'm! Let us know what you go with. Jim
Old 04-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

K&N for offroad purposes is a recipe for disaster. Just have a look at how much dust dirt and mud gets caked onto the normal one at the end of a 100km ride. Now think how much of that will have passed through a filter that flows better.

I can see them having benefits for cars run on a clean track, but not offroad. Only my 2c, and in saying that I put engine life and maintenance above max output every time. Filter skins are probably the best option if you want to ensure your bike maintains a nice clean flow of fresh air all day long.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:39 AM

I ran K&N filters on a VW race motor years ago.. great for HP.. not for dirt.. too much got past.. I ended up finding a foam dirt bike filter that fit over my K&N stacks as a pre-filter to make them usable when I was anywhere even a little dusty.. street I wouldn't run the pre's.. kept them in a rubbermaid container in the eng bay.. do yourself a favor and stay away from them.. all hype unless you are running supermotard.
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 04-07-2012, 08:09 AM

My brother owns a small motorcycle shop and can tell you from experience that K&N air filters are great if you like replacing your rings often. That's on street bikes. I can't imagine going down that road for use on a dirt bike.

I am a Notoil believer though.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:58 AM

Anyone have any option to try an existing kn on the later models? I beleive dimensionally it is correct, but the later model spring retention versus the earlier model bolt is my concern.

This is turning into a quaker state oil sludged up my motor, ford is better then chevy thread, not it's intent. For every person that has a complaint on KN filters, I'll offer a dozen that dont. I have decades of use on kn filters on everything from concreted ford small blocks running straight alcohol in mud pit drags, drag cars, big block chevies that I've sunk more money in parts in the lower end and heads than a cervantes rep bike costs new, I have never had a failure of a filter, I have never had an engine related failure related remotely to a filter and speak for dozens of other locals in the same mentality. I stay out of quaker state/pennzoil type discussions, but wanted this thread to reflect positive information not just negative on a product. When/if I find the KN filter will fit the later model bikes air box design and retention I will install one and then proceed with proper jetting, I will then be happy to demonstrate the advantage of surface area elements compared to foam filter design in the offroad market.
Anyone that chooses to read objective data, attempt to find load ratings and test weights on any chosen foam filter versus KN, you won't find them as only kn will publically release it's load numbers. KN filters fail because of installer error period, that is my opinion, however it is based on facts supported by numbers, data and experience, still however my opinion in this forum. You'll find other data also proposed as opinion, however, most if not all will also be found to stop at the my buddy said his buddy, had a buddy as its empirical data.

Section 21 is available for public review, make sure to review the hot links for data or you are just reading the manufactures "opinion" on data.

http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm

Approx 1/3 down the page you'll find some additional links to independent lab testing on filter load weights http://www.knfilters.com/filter_facts.htm#OFFROAD
Old 04-07-2012, 11:22 AM

When I ran a K&N in my race atv I found dust on the motor side of the filter and water that splashed on it got sucked into the motor I will never run another on a offroad bike or atv I might put one in my car it never sees dust or water but thats it, I could probley remove the filter and it would run for a year or two lol.
I bet the K&N filter for the older bikes fits just fine, its your bike run whatever filter you want in it, but theres a reason why nobody else has or will try it.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:12 PM

The filter did change between 06-07. I think it got slightly shorter, this doesn't make a difference when running foam filters, but it may do with the more solid K&N.