Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:39 PM

Default N3EJ and James Dean Spreadsheet

I'm trying to compare a Yamaha N3EJ, KTM N1EH needle, to a CEL and CCK needle. The spreadsheet does not recognize the 3 and 1 in the Yamaha and KTM Needles. It does fine with the NEJ and NEH. What does the 3 and 1 mean after the N?

By the Way- As others have posted the N3EJ Yamaha needle really does liven up the midrange and over rev.

Last edited by celler; 05-10-2011 at 08:54 PM.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:26 PM

My version takes them fine. Are you entering them as follows?:

Taper - L1 Height - Diameter
N - 3 - EJ
N - 1 - EH
C - C - K
etc.

There are notes on the PWK chart about theses needle codes being included and entry format.

Good to hear on the needle. Which bike/carb do you have and what is your jetting? I've picked up an N3EJ and plan to try it out.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

I would be curious as to what carb(36 or 38),(as well as slide 6.5 ? etc...) also .

http://philipstewart.zenfolio.com
Old 05-11-2011, 07:17 PM

Thanks for the input. It worked on the N3EJ but still did not like the N1EH

I have a 2005 300DE
38mm PWK
Slide Stock I guess but did buy the bike used.
RB Head
V Force Reed without spacer
FMF Fatty Pipe
60 F 500-1000ft Very Humid day
45 Pilot, N3EJ 2nd Clip
175 Main

Before the N3EJ I had a CEL - 1st Clip

The big difference I noticed was improved power just before the power valve opens and better overrev. Example. Out on a large sand flat. Shifting up in the higher gears. Previously if I shifted a little too early it would go flat a little bit after the shift and I would have to intentially have to rev a little extra to catch the next gear cleanly. Now just let it stop pulling and shift and it is in the meat of the power. If I short shift it still pulls the shift in the power.

Low and mid continues to be very smooth. Pipe is very clean.

Edit - went back to the CEL when I was in Colorado in high elevation. Ran cleaner down low. When I returned home I tryed the CEL third clip and this improved the power similar to the N3EJ . James Dean jetting tool led me to trying the CEL in a richer clip. CEL seems a little smoother off idle.

The next thing I would like is to mellow it out a little as it comes on the powervalve. It is fine as is in sand but in the rocky single track it hits a little too hard. My reference is a YZ 250 and KTM 250 SX . GASGAS is better than both on the smoothness of the lowend just they transition onto the powervave better. Maybe with the new needle it is time to put the reed spacer back in?

Last edited by celler; 10-20-2011 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Additional testing
Old 05-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkartoom View Post
My version takes them fine. Are you entering them as follows?:

Taper - L1 Height - Diameter
N - 3 - EJ
N - 1 - EH
C - C - K
etc.

There are notes on the PWK chart about theses needle codes being included and entry format.

Good to hear on the needle. Which bike/carb do you have and what is your jetting? I've picked up an N3EJ and plan to try it out.
You still working on your jetting Katoom? What have you tried so far?

To the op. I couldn't get the N1E range to show in JDs spreadsheet either. Use N-O-ZH. Its the same diameter, and taper. The difference is half a clip in length. I think its leaner than the N1EH
Old 05-11-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
You still working on your jetting Katoom? What have you tried so far?

To the op. I couldn't get the N1E range to show in JDs spreadsheet either. Use N-O-ZH. Its the same diameter, and taper. The difference is half a clip in length. I think its leaner than the N1EH
I haven't been able to do much jetting yet due to a lot of recent traveling, then my clutch is messed up and that got me side-tracked. Things have finally settled down so this weekend I will be back at it. I have a N3CH-3rd in there now, 38p and 178m. That's way better than stock but still blubbery down low. The idle wanders and the a/s doesn't do much. I have about every known working needle in my quiver now, but I think I'll drop the N3CH 1 clip before I start with other needles and maybe go back to the 35p.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:47 PM

your dedicated man! i'm keeping an eye on your results and progress as you seek the holy grail in carburation.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:20 AM

If not already go near the end here: Jetting WTF? thread . . . .

and Jakobi's new thread to check out the results so far. I'm getting there with the N3EJ and he's comparing needles. He's done a lot of settings.