Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:16 PM

i've had great luck with a leaner #8 or 9 slide in that series of bikes. you can chase your tail with needle changes for as long as you want,but as these carbs get a bit older and worn the leaner slide brings everything back into focus. my buddies and i get to ride huge amounts of hours compared to most guy's in a week/month/year,and we were one of the first to discover that the nozzle on the carb actually ovals out over time. once you lean out the slide,the other variables-pilot,needle,a/screw and main show much more response to changes. caveat- this free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it!

Old 06-06-2011, 09:21 AM

Update.

I tried the N3EW(3) #45 PJ and it was too rich and would not idle except with the idle adjust screw turned all the way in. I swithed to a #42 PJ and it idles a little better but there was a severe bog in throttle response.

I switched back to the CCK(2) and a #38 needle. The idle was about the same but less bog. At least I could ride it.

I measured my needles with a micrometer: (CCK=2.695, N1EF=2.705, N3EW=2.735). The nozzle measures 2.89/2.90 with a gauge pin. No apparent wear on the nozzle. My reeds, ignition, power valve appear to be in good condition. The bike has excellent compression and starts easily.

At this point, the bike will simply not idle unless the adjustment screw is all the way in (spring solid). The air screw is not very sensitive. It seems to idle better with leaner PJ and/or air screw 3+ turns out. If I do either of these, it has such a bad bog that it's not ridable.

I seems like the main circuit is providing fuel at idle. It would take a needle much bigger than 2.735 to stop it.

I'm pretty much at the end of the needle experiment. What about a #8 slide? Does that significanly reduce the main fuel flow at idle?
Old 06-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Site Sponsor

before you said 42 pilot with cck, but you went back to 38 pilot? if it ran best with 38 pilot, 45 pilot and n3ew is way way rich.... was 42 a lean bog? where was airscrew?

with 38 pilot, cck, here's some n3ew comparison that may idle better. notice the dip at 0-1/8 throttle. that's basically what you need to idle. the one that's way rich is the 45/n3ew - also notice you may want to go 1 richer on main before you get it sorted.

i don't know how on the edge of lean you are with 38 pilot/cck so try at your own risk.... oh and try doing all airscrew adjustments with idle screw about 2.5 turns out from solid. i took a look and saw that the slide is halfway up the idle screw travel at about 2.5 turns. mine is idling at about 2 turns..airscrew will have no affect if idle screw is closer than about 1 turn from all the way in..

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 06-06-2011, 01:59 PM

1) 42/CCK was too rich at idle. Switched to 40 then 38 PJ. It was the leanest PJ I could use without a bad bog. #35 idles even better but the bog is horrible.
2) 45/N3EW was too rich at idle. Switched to 42 PJ and it had a horrible bog even though the idle was still too rich.
3) went with 38/CCK(2) because bog was acceptable and I could ride it with a crappy idle.
3) All combinations had air screw 1-1/2 turn out
4) Taking the air screw out to 3+ turns improved idle and made the bog worse in all cases.
5) Touching the choke always caused the engine to die instantly.
6) Turning off the fuel and letting it run out of gas caused the idle to race briefly then die.
7) All combinations made a lot of smoke at idle.
8) All combinations had the idle adjust screw all the way in. Slide opening gap very close to 1 mm.
9) Carb is off bike and undergoing a labratory grade cleaning. No sign of any problems so far.
10) All other bike systems appear to be funtionong properly.
11) I have never been able to get a "proper" idle with the adjustment screw at a normal position.
12) At this point I have no idea what to try next. Everything on your chart has been tried. No combo results in a good idle AND no bog.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Site Sponsor

good compression? new plug - br8es? does it start easy? 1 kick every time - 1 or 2 kicks with choke when cold?? float height is correct?

if it was me, an i was completely stuck - i would start really rich with the n3ew, #3, make it burble on the pilot and main. then at least you have a baseline (rich yes, but it's a reference that you know, and you know it should progressively get better.) then go 1 step down on the pilot till it cleans up. and air screw has an effect. bike has gotta be hot or your pilot stuff will be irrelevant... then move the needle till it works best to 1/2 throttle. all this i'm sure you already know, but sometimes resetting/restarting finds things you missed..

your other option is to jet for best performance with no idle, and buy a leaner slide. that might work.

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 06-06-2011, 05:15 PM

Three kicks with choke on when cold. One kick no choke when warm.

I'm starting to wonder if my choke is leaking fuel into the venturi when closed. That's what it acts like. Besides the idle problem it's always been rich through the entire range.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanaverill View Post
Three kicks with choke on when cold. One kick no choke when warm.

I'm starting to wonder if my choke is leaking fuel into the venturi when closed. That's what it acts like. Besides the idle problem it's always been rich through the entire range.
Mate.. Yours and mine! I always thought I had a freak bike that loved it lean. Bet you have the handle bar mounted choke aswell?

My other suspision is the squish band being too fat and holding unburnt fuel.

I have a plunger style choke on order which should be here soon along with a few other needles. N3CJ N3EW and N3EH. I'll hopefully get to try the carb with a new plunger and then move on to a complete top end rebuild with either a head/squish mod or the S3 head.