Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
You will wad up any pipe good before you break spigot bolts on a steel spigot.

About o-rings: Silicone hi-temp orings have poor abrasion resistance. Ever notice how they are worn flat from vibration and pipe movement? Buna N (common black rubber compound) is better but less heat resistant, and tends to retain its compressed shape. Viton is good but also not too abrasion resistant. I buy a big bag of Buna N o-rings and change them if I notice a leak. Its not a big deal.
Glenn, what size Buna N rings do you get? I think I'll order some from McMaster because I'm leaking now too.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:59 PM

I just got 50 Buna N o-rings from MCCaster Carr to my door for $15. I ordered the 44mm x 3mm, which believe is the correct size.

Paul B
Old 01-04-2008, 01:51 AM

Orings are no bother cause we use heaps of different ones at work, including some fancy James Walker hi-temp ones. I 'll suggest the tech trys one of those.

Cheers
Old 01-04-2008, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
You will wad up any pipe good before you break spigot bolts on a steel spigot.
Maybe but I've had such a bad time with exhaust studs made of cheese on road bikes I get nervous! I seem to just have to tlook at them to shear them off.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:41 AM

44mm x 3mm is the size. Viton is listed in the '07 parts book but my bike came with the hi-temp silicone as before.

I work in a research center, we have the best of everything here. viton, silicone, teflon, Buna N and more. Do the research, even Mcmaster has a material/application guideline in their on-line catalog. Ideally, you need heat, petroleum, and abrasion resistance. You can't get a compound that is good at all three. If leaks are a persistant problem check the pipe header/flange for misalignment/bending. When you remove the pipe, take a close look at the o-rings. It will be obvious if uneven pressure is applied siide loading the seal, as they will be compressed/worn flat in that area. Also, if your pipe vibrates more than normal, from a bad mount, springs, etc., the excessive movement of the flange will wear the o-rings faster.

Try the silicone with new o-rings. Just get everything squeaky clean first for a good bond.