Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:02 PM

Default question about stock jetting

Hi ppls

my bike 2005 EC250

comes with a N1EF
185 mj
38pj
A/S ??

the question I have is why the book recommends this setup, a lean pj with a rich main, when most of the time the bike runs so much better with a richer pilot and a leaner main.

This is my set up at the moment

NEDW#2
180mj
45pj
A/S 2.75

riding at sea level 20'C

I am even considering chopping down the MJ to 178....got my first test today on an open flat track. lots of 1/2 to WOT there!

Old 03-15-2013, 06:31 PM

Im sure Jake will chime in.....but from my understanding its that needle I just replaced mine with a N3CJ. Im referring to the N1EF.
STREET_ GTR 1400 (The Connie)
93 KDX 200 (Katie)
Old 03-15-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onespeed View Post
I just replaced mine with a N3CJ.
Have you had a chance to flog it, yet? If so...How is it? I guess I could just use the the phone & ask
Old 03-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default just got the 2013, and it only likes to idle with the choke on...

it has a 42 PJ and a 175 MJ.
I am running my '11 with 178, but darned if I can remember the PJ size. if it wants to run with the choke on, that means that I am running too lean, right? so maybe a 48 PJ? I was hoping to get an early start tomorrow, but it looks like I need to make a run by the KTM shop and see if they have some PJs in stock.

Am I on the right track, it has been too long for my old head.
Rob
Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

rats! supposed to be in a new thread! see, bad brain.. bad brain!
Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter007 View Post
Have you had a chance to flog it, yet? If so...How is it? I guess I could just use the the phone & ask
YEAH YEAH.. You asked here cause you know I want to know too. I enjoy reading feedback. Helps me know what works for people and what doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexception_03 View Post
Hi ppls

my bike 2005 EC250

comes with a N1EF
185 mj
38pj
A/S ??

the question I have is why the book recommends this setup, a lean pj with a rich main, when most of the time the bike runs so much better with a richer pilot and a leaner main.

This is my set up at the moment

NEDW#2
180mj
45pj
A/S 2.75

riding at sea level 20'C

I am even considering chopping down the MJ to 178....got my first test today on an open flat track. lots of 1/2 to WOT there!
The book has been using the same go aweful needle for the last 10years or more. Its like they keep recommending different clip positions, mains and pilots in an attempt to make it work. It never worked for me, in any configuration. I could get the bike to run at an acceptable level, but not what I would call great.

The reason you have noticed the changes in the pilots are because of the needles. The needle diameters from rich to lean go something like E, F, G, H, I/W, J, K, L... The stock needle was an F, and you're now running a W. So you're about 3 steps leaner on the needle diameter (idle circuit), and you've also gone 3 steps richer on the pilot jet (from 38 - 45) so it kind of all balances out. Depending on your carb model and bike, some like the richer diameters, others like the leaner. I personally find that a rich diameter will break up alot around 1/8th - 1/4 throttle even with a lean pilot that bogs when you crack the throttle. A lean needle diameter will respond better to richer pilots, but you can still get a rich condition that won't idle, but will bog or fall flat when cracking the throttle under load. Its about finding which works and which doesn't.

On newer AS2 carbs with the NEDW needle I'd happily run a 172 main for your conditions. I'd say a 178 will be safe for you. You might even end up at 175 yet.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:12 PM

No Test as of yet.....Jakobi Still need to grab a 178Main and figure out tank sealing problem. Other than that got the air box all sealed up and a filter oiled and ready to go in. Going to run it down the block warm it up to dump the oil then hopefully Ill get a chance to go riding soon. I have a feeling this is going to hit hard.
STREET_ GTR 1400 (The Connie)
93 KDX 200 (Katie)
Old 03-15-2013, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

I'll be waiting to hear all about it!
Old 03-16-2013, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
YEAH YEAH.. You asked here cause you know I want to know too. I enjoy reading feedback. Helps me know what works for people and what doesn't.

The book has been using the same go aweful needle for the last 10years or more. Its like they keep recommending different clip positions, mains and pilots in an attempt to make it work. It never worked for me, in any configuration. I could get the bike to run at an acceptable level, but not what I would call great.

The reason you have noticed the changes in the pilots are because of the needles. The needle diameters from rich to lean go something like E, F, G, H, I/W, J, K, L... The stock needle was an F, and you're now running a W. So you're about 3 steps leaner on the needle diameter (idle circuit), and you've also gone 3 steps richer on the pilot jet (from 38 - 45) so it kind of all balances out. Depending on your carb model and bike, some like the richer diameters, others like the leaner. I personally find that a rich diameter will break up alot around 1/8th - 1/4 throttle even with a lean pilot that bogs when you crack the throttle. A lean needle diameter will respond better to richer pilots, but you can still get a rich condition that won't idle, but will bog or fall flat when cracking the throttle under load. Its about finding which works and which doesn't.

On newer AS2 carbs with the NEDW needle I'd happily run a 172 main for your conditions. I'd say a 178 will be safe for you. You might even end up at 175 yet.
thanks Jake, I will be putting in a 178 next ride,
it went ok today but your on the money with it breaking up around 1/8 to 1/4
once I got to 1/2 - WOT it was singing

what needle has a leaner straight section? compared to the NEDW?