Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:34 PM

Default key does not turn off engine

the problem started after my first hare scramble and since then they key would sometimes turn the engine off and sometimes not. The big problem is 5 minutes ago i kicked my bike with the key out of the ignition. i tested the barrel and it seems to be working fine.

Any suggestions? i don't even know where to start looking

the bikes is a 2011 xc 250 with a cigarette lighter tapping power from the ruining light

Old 09-22-2015, 06:03 PM

Trace the wires and check the connections from the cylinder to start off. Make sure everything is ok there first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2015, 09:08 AM

is there a better wiring diagram for the xc bikes? i have the 2011 ec but i cant find the key in the diagram
Old 09-23-2015, 10:29 AM

I've had the key go out twice on my XC 300. I found that the wires are just soldered to the bottom of the barrel, and they eventually corrode and pull off. After the first one, I bought a cheapie off Amazon and just matched up the wires. It eventually did the same thing even though I tried to brace it against tugging on the wires. After the second time, I just bypassed the key switch entirely.

And I've found the Gas Gas wiring diagrams almost worthless.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
I've had the key go out twice on my XC 300. I found that the wires are just soldered to the bottom of the barrel, and they eventually corrode and pull off. After the first one, I bought a cheapie off Amazon and just matched up the wires. It eventually did the same thing even though I tried to brace it against tugging on the wires. After the second time, I just bypassed the key switch entirely.

And I've found the Gas Gas wiring diagrams almost worthless.
alright thanks for the input. just a mild concern after killing my dad's battery twice, i wont kill the batter will i? the engine is on but the bottom bulb in the head light is not on and i cant turn on the main bulb.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:50 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

The ignition switch serves two basic purposes, which are independent of each other:
1. Provide power to lights and accessories from the battery
2. Kill the engine by grounding the coil

The magneto/generator/alternator serves two purposes:
1. Provide a power source to the battery (charging while running) and the accessories (if your battery is dead or removed)
2. Provide power to the engine and related electronics to allow the engine to run, independent of the battery/accessory circuit

It sounds like your "engine kill by grounding the coil" wiring is bad, either inside or outside the ignition barrel. The fact that you can't turn on the lights with the ignition "off" and the engine running means that everything else is working as it should. Either look for a broken wire inside the ignition barrel, or look for a broken wire between the ignition switch and the coil (black with a white trace?). This bad ground switch shouldn't run down the battery, as it's a different circuit altogether.

Good luck!
Old 09-23-2015, 06:43 PM

yeah thanks for the reply, the problem was a bad ground, after cleaning that it seems to be all good
Old 09-24-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscook View Post
The ignition switch serves two basic purposes, which are independent of each other:
1. Provide power to lights and accessories from the battery
2. Kill the engine by grounding the coil

The magneto/generator/alternator serves two purposes:
1. Provide a power source to the battery (charging while running) and the accessories (if your battery is dead or removed)
2. Provide power to the engine and related electronics to allow the engine to run, independent of the battery/accessory circuit

It sounds like your "engine kill by grounding the coil" wiring is bad, either inside or outside the ignition barrel. The fact that you can't turn on the lights with the ignition "off" and the engine running means that everything else is working as it should. Either look for a broken wire inside the ignition barrel, or look for a broken wire between the ignition switch and the coil (black with a white trace?). This bad ground switch shouldn't run down the battery, as it's a different circuit altogether.

Good luck!
Great reply pscook!