Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Announcements

Enduro Product Announcements Announce new gasgas enduro products here - Vendors Welcome...

Old 06-01-2007, 11:57 AM

Thumbs up New Steering Damper Available For Gassers! Nice!

I'VE BEEN SENDING SOME GASGAS SPECS TO THE GUYS AT MOTOSPORTZ SO THEY CAN R&D ONE FOR THE GASSERS! THEY ALREADY HAVE THEM FOR MANY OTHER BIKES & WE HAVE TESTED A COUPLE OF THEM AND BEEN VERY HAPPY WITH THE QUALITY, PRICE AND IT LOOKS GOOD TOO! THE DAMPER SLIDES FORWARD & BACKWARD IN ITS MOUNT SO THAT YOU DON'T NEED A NEW MOUNT EVERYTIME YOU WANT TO CHANGE YOU BAR POSITION (IN THE TRIPLE CLAMP). THE POST IS A 2 PIECE DESIGN THAT DOESNT REQUIRE REMOVING THE UPPER TRIPLE CLAMP TO INSTALL IT! CHECK EM OUT THEY RETAIL FOR ABOUT $389.99. THEIR WEB ADRESS IS: WWW.MOTOSPORTZDAMPER.COM.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:29 PM

Link didn't work, you mean: http://www.motosportz.com/MZ-SLD-menu.htm

Nice. Does it have a high speed circuit like a Scotts? I have a 9 year old Scotts rebuilt a few times but just can't keep seals in it anymore. I think the main wiper shaft is just worn out at the top where dirt can collect.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:03 PM

It's a nice looking unit. This page has more details.
http://www.motosportz.com/MZ-Dirt-stab.htm
Old 06-02-2007, 08:30 AM

Default Sorry About The Wrong Address Guys.

The Damper Doesnt Have A High & Low Speed Circiut But It Is Faaaar Superioir To The Gpr Damper. I Am Happy With My Scots But This Wasnt Available At The Time Or I Probably Would Have Bought It.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Actually, it states that the dampening is "velocity sensitive" which means a shimstack or something similar in their. This effectively gives you low and high speed dampening characteristics - valved properly, it should work well...

jeff
Old 06-02-2007, 07:17 PM

Hydraulic flow, by law, is velocity sensitive. That is the resistance to flow increases to the square of the velocity. Thats why we have active valving in modern suspension now vs damper rods. The Scotts lets you still have very stiff HS damping with very little low speed damping. I'd like to try it. Just rebuilt my Scotts again tonight and its getting tired. Had a WER and tried a GPR and the Scotts is way better.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:37 AM

It is always good to double-check and maybe I am reading too much into it. I have seen the term "velocity sensitive" to indicate a variable oil passage that is sensitive to velocity - e.g. the available oil passage(s) get progressively larger as the velocity increases (e.g. shimstack or spring progressive blowoff). For example, my bilsteins on my truck are advertised as "velocity sensitive" and they have a piston/shimstack design.

jeff
Old 06-03-2007, 09:47 AM

I'm definatly willing to try one,, had a wer for years and like the scotts better but these look interesting..
Steve
Old 06-03-2007, 06:05 PM

I think you would want a steering damper to behave exactly the opposite as a suspension component with regard to resistance vs. speed. You want your suspension valving to flex, flow more oil and move without spikes during high speed hits like rocks. The damper on the other hand, you want to stiffen up very quickly when the forks start to deflect at high speed.

Mine saved my ass today as it has for years, I'll never ride without one.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:00 PM

Hey Glenn,
Thanks for the correction. I do see what you mean now. I was thinking about suspension valving...

jeff