Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:18 AM

Default Sputters at high revs...

... Hi guys, recently bought a EC300 2006. It ran fine until I pressure washed it, I rode it straight away afterwards and from then it refused to give me high revs.

I have an ignition coil and HT cap on order, spark plug is brand new, just wanna know if you guys can think of anything else that might have happened ? Common faults perhaps?

Old 06-20-2013, 07:09 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

There was a thread yesterday or day before where GMP explained that the HT lead from the stator to the coil can get contaminated with water and cause running issues. You may want to pop the seat and tank and check every temporary (spade and bullet) connection and apply some silicone grease to the connections.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:51 AM

Yeah , I've ordered and am gonna change all that anyway. CBA to chase my tail looking for something when it's a ?20 fix.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:34 PM

I wouldn't recommend riding the bike right after washing it, unless you take the filter out and seal the airboot.
The filter always manages to get damp somehow, and riding the bike sucks moisture into the engine, which isn't where you want it.

Might be superstition but heard it from more than one bike mechanic.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:24 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

riding after a wash is something that has become fashionable due to the newer pumpkins having a(nother?) design flaw that supposedly allows water from washing to run into the engine and rust the big end bearing (according to local KTM dealers anyway)

All you need to do with a GG is wash it then remove the exhaust plug and spray a bit of WD40 on the chain and other parts that you do not want to have water sitting in
Old 06-21-2013, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

I always make sure the piston is at tdc for washing, and then plug it. Afterwards I always start it and bring it up to temp. Maybe a bit of moisture gets pulled through, but you'd imagine running it up to temp would also be enough to remove anything internally. It evaporates the water off the outside so I assume the same would happen inside..
Old 06-21-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
I always make sure the piston is at tdc for washing, and then plug it. Afterwards I always start it and bring it up to temp. Maybe a bit of moisture gets pulled through, but you'd imagine running it up to temp would also be enough to remove anything internally. It evaporates the water off the outside so I assume the same would happen inside..
+ if your running a decent 2-S oil it will take care of internal corrosion issues.

My tip - don't go overboard with pressure washers.

I am positive less water gets into the air box when washing vs spending five minutes in a water hole up to the air box roosting to get out!
Old 06-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Yep. But in the bog hole you're also running the bike and evaporating any water back off and out the exhuast. There is no denying, if you manage to get enough water into the bottom end to pool up, you'll probably also have it in the carb bowl.. the bike won't want to start.. and then corrosion could occur. I'd rather find this out just after washing it, rather than a week or two later when preparing for a ride.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default sputtering

Since the bike is running poor after washing,it seems a waste of money to buy new parts. I would just disassemble and use dielectric grease on all connections.
Either way you have to work on it, whether its new parts or drying out old- and there is no guarantee its the coil or HT lead. Unless you diagnosed it already
Old 06-21-2013, 10:12 PM

HV wire loose in coil body, lets moisture in. Put your hand on the coil or wire when it's running, get a shock? I've had this happen on three bikes over time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD