Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:28 AM

Default 2011 ASII 36 Jetting - what were they thinking?

The monsoon season is over here. I got out for a first ride with some buddies. The jetting is so rich, it runs like the air filter is totally plugged. They must have intended the jetting to be used at 20*F at sea level.

The stock settings: 6.5 slide, 42pilot, 175main, N1EF, 1T air screw. The bike idles (sort of) and the air screw has little effect. There is no "get up and go". I'm using Ipone Samurai at 50:1 and the riding is mostly singletrack. Elevation 1000 - 1200', temperatures 60-80*F.

The exhaust sound is dull on accel or decel. After about an hour of riding I notice a distinct knock from the engine on decel. Soon I get this knock on every gear change (when I close the throttle to shift). Time to head back to the parking lot. Keeping the throttle steady helps.

Burhan (EC300) tells me that the manual recommends changing the plug after the first hour of operation. I put in a new NGK (the plug in the bike is a Nippon Denso).

Head back out and everything is OK again. The engine runs marginally crisper (still a long way from crisp). After an hour, the knock is back. Soon it's getting dark and time to end the ride.

The next day I pull the NGK (left) to compare it to the Denso (right).

My exhaust tip is messy and the inside is very oily. I'm not worried about spooge, the angled outlet does a great job of keeping the rest of the bike clean.

Having a stock needle that is crazy rich with the clip already in the top groove is nuts. Not even one groove of adjustment is possible. Have any of you 2011 owners found a needle that runs well with the clip in the center groove?

I'd like to know what the cause of the "knock" is. It's just like a single "pre-ignition" detonation. I can only guess that fuel mixture builds up in the pipe and ignites.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:52 PM

The knock, or "kack" as I call it is the exhaust loading up with unburnt fuel. It will happen if you don't "clean it out" after warming the bike up after you first start it too. (Get the bike on the pipe for a few gears)

I had to go a little leaner on my jetting on my 300 to get that to stop. I also noticed that if I am in the woods all day, I could use leaner overall jetting vs. riding a motocross track as I also do on my 300.

Unfortunately I cannot suggest jetting changes for your 250 specifically, but I can say that you may want to go leaner.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:16 PM

I agree I'd go down pilot size a step at a time to see if that improves it. 42 seems kinda fat to me, but can't say for sure. GMP has a lot of experience with 250's I think, he may know what that needle and slide will run with in that carb. He may chime in. I've got a good setting for a 250, but different carb and slide so it's no good to you.

What is that snorkel?
Old 06-06-2011, 03:34 PM

That is a piece of 316 stainless steel dairy tubing, specifically a 1" x 45* long tangent elbow for TIG welding. I machined up an adapter to fit the muffler end cap and silver soldered the tube in. The adapter has a tapered bore and is a snug fit into the muffler. A bead of medium temperature silicone holds it firmly in place.

On my first parking lot ride, my jacket stunk of 2T oil. The Krizman "bullet" is very near the rear of the muffler and makes the exhaust swirl enough to deposit oil mist on the fender. Some oil mist also gets drawn into the still air pocket behind the rider. An angled tip was an easy way to stop this. A side benefit is the exhaust is directed away from a following rider when on the trail.

I like that the angled outlet creates a "drip point" for spooge; that way it can't run back down the muffler.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:48 PM

Good job. Has that factory look.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

The sound.. Would describe it as a "GUNG!!" only ever one. As mentioned its the exhaust loading up with unfburnt. Usually a sign of a rich pilot and happens on decel.

Same settings my 2010 300 came with on a 300 with 38 mm pwk asII.. My plug was the same.. Still chasing the answer somewhat..
Old 06-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

my 2011 EC300 sixdays has the 36mm ASII 6.5 slide and was crazy rich as well.

I got the YZ needle N3eJ , went to a 40 pilot & 180 Main and it made a world of difference . Sea level - 2000 ft ,80 degree temps.

Havent had a chance to check the top end WOT yet ,but 1 & 2 and right off idle are much better.

I copied the settings from Reverup.

http://philipstewart.zenfolio.com
Old 06-06-2011, 11:13 PM

Angry 2009 EC300, also chasing jetting

Brand new bike, came with N1EF needle also clip in top grrove, not happy about that, yes it seemed to run best that way but not good enough, I've spent lots of time richening and leaning both pilot and main jet, to no avail, and I have a JD kit on order, I see the jetting database is fairly stagnant for newer models, but there are tonnes of helpful posts here to watch and learn from. I'll post back here If the JD kit helps, I will likely not stop there though, I will order in some of the various Keihin needles and experiment.
My bike has mediocre power down low (good enough but not crisp) a very crisp mid range, snappy even. but if I turn the throttle past 3/4 it falls flat, to recover you must roll back to 3/4 and upshift (if you still want to go faster).
this is more than enough power for trail riding because I'm never revving it in the bush/ trees, but when you get out in the open for a minute it sucks.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdad450F View Post
Brand new bike, came with N1EF needle also clip in top grrove, not happy about that, yes it seemed to run best that way but not good enough, I've spent lots of time richening and leaning both pilot and main jet, to no avail, and I have a JD kit on order, I see the jetting database is fairly stagnant for newer models, but there are tonnes of helpful posts here to watch and learn from. I'll post back here If the JD kit helps, I will likely not stop there though, I will order in some of the various Keihin needles and experiment.
My bike has mediocre power down low (good enough but not crisp) a very crisp mid range, snappy even. but if I turn the throttle past 3/4 it falls flat, to recover you must roll back to 3/4 and upshift (if you still want to go faster).
this is more than enough power for trail riding because I'm never revving it in the bush/ trees, but when you get out in the open for a minute it sucks.
I should add: # 7 slide, 38 mm carb, 40 to 42 pilot, 178 to 180 MJ, (still) top clip groove N1EF needle, clean air filter.
I'm also looking to get a #8 slide to try. (leaner)
Old 06-06-2011, 11:25 PM

Not sure on the 36mm, maybe leaner settings yet than the 38mm. I run a CCK needle with a 38PJ and a 175 main, A/S 1 1/2 turns out in a 38mm carb. I ride typically from 2500 to 4500 feet and lately around 60 - 80 deg. My bike runs crisp. Slight gurgle at WOT in rain mode, crisp in sunshine. Absolutely no spooge whatsoever.

My buddies identical bike, same year, carb, cc runs like crap with my jetting. We're jet to divulge into why this is, but my suspicion is it has to do with the PV settings or adjustment.

I'd keep the CCK needle a try, they're cheap, order from Sudco. You may not like it though as it turns the bike into a fire breathing tire shredder