Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 07-17-2018, 05:38 AM

Default FSR450 kickstarter crossover

Hi,

I am looking for an alternative for OEM kickstarter. I've read in the crossover section that YZ250 kickstarter fits GG but I am not quite sure whether this applies to 4T Gassers as well.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:38 AM

Do you really use the kickstarter? :O
When i had my FSE450 i removed the kickstarter because it was so useless....okay i've heard stories that some people can kick it to life.
After my engine rebuild i was actually scared to use the kickstarter....seeing how weak that one pinion (between kick and clutch) attachment is to the engine case
Old 07-20-2018, 08:38 AM

Well,
I cannot tell since PO took it off and I never had it
It would be very handy right now since my stator is shot and the battery last around one electric start.

It would be a shame to learn it is useless but the late one was improved somehow?

I never had a kickstarter on a 4T and it is about time to learn to use it (XR650 and Berg 650 is on my bucket list).

Anyway, I ordered OEM. It is around 33% pricier than YZF450 aftermarket kickstarter which *should* fit (at least so I heard from a fellow gasser) but i learned that after OEM was already ordered (there are about 2 (two) GG dealers in my country and it would be dumb to mess with one of these 2 at the very beginning in order to save $25). Not to mention that the one I ordered from is a small shop run by an active racer and small shops already sail against the wind.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafka View Post
After my engine rebuild i was actually scared to use the kickstarter....seeing how weak that one pinion (between kick and clutch) attachment is to the engine case
Do you mean it is possible to break the engine by simply kick starting it
Old 07-23-2018, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacks View Post
Do you mean it is possible to break the engine by simply kick starting it
I think it's not that bad but my engine was maybe that 1 in 1000
That little plate that holds the middle pinion broke and then the pinion was for some time little bit loose, that caused bad wear and small metal particles went inside oil pump somehow and finally the pinion got stuck, blocked the clutch, taking some teeth off from clutch basket pinion/sprocket....so yeah i had "fun times" with GasGas
PICTURE

Last edited by Tafka; 07-23-2018 at 06:42 AM.