Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:48 PM

Default Poor gas mileage 2013 christini 300 with gasgas ec300

I bought a 2013 Christini 300 all wheel drive that has a gasgas ec300 motor in it. Main jet is 155, idle is 42 and leak jet.

The bike runs really well, smoky on first startup but that's about it, a bit of oil out of the exhaust after riding for an hour or so.

I mostly ride at 1/4 throttle in the power switch on the lower setting. Only hit 1/2 throttle occasionally. Never hitting full throttle.

Power is linear.

Gas mileage 9 to 10 mpg ! Not good and don't see gas on the ground when I stop. Yes i did say 9 to 10 mpg.

HELP! Going to changet min jet tp 170 due to altitude, riding at zero to 2000 feet.

Need some help!

Thanks
Lenny

Old 04-11-2016, 09:07 PM

Get a 178 or 180 in the main ASAP - I wouldn't be riding it until then. 170 should be safe-ish..
Old 04-11-2016, 11:36 PM

Your pilot jet looks a little rich, the main VERY lean, and who knows what needle .... your fuel economy will be largely determined by the needle and pilot, along with float height, if you're riding down in the throttle like you say.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 04-12-2016, 05:01 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

The more info you can supply,the better the feedback will be.find out what needle,in which clip,and what slide is in there and someone will steer you to a decent setup.the slide# is stamped into it,and will be visible when you remove top of carb to access needle.id say you are lucky you operate in the lower throttle openings with that main!
Also what fuel?mix ratio,octane,ethanol content(where applicable)
Old 04-12-2016, 11:03 AM

The slide has a #7 stamped on it -

I'll pull the needled out tonight and find out what slot the clip is in.

93 Octane Gas - 50% to 1 - was at 44 to 1 gas/oil mixture - changed to 50% to 1 after finding the owners manual.

I ride in power mapping 2 most of the time - but love how clean the bike runs in power mapping 1.

Again - I'm never at full throttle - will order a J&D Jet kit - is that the best / most cost effective way to go ?

Thanks

Lenny
Old 04-12-2016, 03:26 PM

JD kit will get you close enough with minimal effort - it just costs about 2 or 3 times more than if you bought the parts yourself. You're just paying for their research and convenience. If you want perfection, that is a never ending game.

Keep in mind the needle will have 4 characters stamped at the top, this is good info to have. These are the weakest point in how the Gassers are shipped. No clue what Christini is sending out the door. Everyone seems to be having good luck with the N3xx needles. If you go with JD you will likely be happy.

I wouldn't use the owners manual to derive ratios. Most oil manufacturers have their own recommendations on the bottle so the brand you are using is more important than what Christini/GasGas suggest, in my opinion.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lneil06 View Post
The slide has a #7 stamped on it -

I'll pull the needled out tonight and find out what slot the clip is in.

93 Octane Gas - 50% to 1 - was at 44 to 1 gas/oil mixture - changed to 50% to 1 after finding the owners manual.

I ride in power mapping 2 most of the time - but love how clean the bike runs in power mapping 1.

Again - I'm never at full throttle - will order a J&D Jet kit - is that the best / most cost effective way to go ?

Thanks

Lenny
No and no.

Go read some of the stickies.

Important points.
Mechanical condition of the engine, reeds, airfilter, main seals etc.
Carb setup. Install and fitment on bike. Clearance from frame. Slide not raised excessively, some slack in the throttle cable. Float height!!! and ensuring that the needle valve and seat aren't gummed up allowing it to not seal and overflow. Should be able to tip the bike 45 degrees each side without overflow. See thread for suggested heights and methods.
Jetting! Get a baseline, get a handful of jets, and a handful of needles and start again with a methodical approach.

Excess head clearance can also cause poor economy and efficiency. Many have gone around in circles for a long time before having the head cut and everything fall into place. Wouldn't be a bad idea to measure your squish.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Personally ive not tried the jd needles but from what i can gather results are mixed for the gg engine.a lot of guys are getting good results with suzuki ned?/nec? or yamaha n3c? needles.the ? is because the last letter in code is diameter and varies for different capacities/carbs/setups.find the stamped code on your needle and post.
Also worth looking thru the jetting database on this forum for equivalent setups.be wary of different fuels/altitudes/climatic differences in here though.fwiw im running nech clip3(half clip variation of nedh)but mines a 13 200(1 wheel drive!).also there are 2 pwk carbs,as1 has a screw top,as2 has two philips screws holding cap.the as2 jets leaner so its a good idea to post that too.
Once you post your full setup,some of the jetting gurus will most likely chime in
Old 04-12-2016, 05:20 PM

I just picked up some jets - 178 Main and a 38 and 40 pilot jet.

The needles is a N1EF with the e-clip in the middle slot.

Will make sure the float is working - I haven't seen any leaking out of the carb unless I tip the bike almost all the way over.

The carb has 2 screws on the top.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lneil06 View Post
I just picked up some jets - 178 Main and a 38 and 40 pilot jet.

The needles is a N1EF with the e-clip in the middle slot.

Will make sure the float is working - I haven't seen any leaking out of the carb unless I tip the bike almost all the way over.

The carb has 2 screws on the top.
This is the source of your problem.

AS2 Carb, running a rich pilot and a very rich needle, in a rather rich clip position.. and for some reason an obsurdly lean main (someones attempt to compensate?).

I find it interesting that you say it runs well though. Mine was a blubbering mess that wouldn't take throttle well and load up in no time in that state.

What are you temps and elevation? Something around a W diameter, 40 pilot, clip pos 2-3 depending on particular needle, and 172-178 main will have that bike using less fuel and riding much stronger.

Still consider head squish as a variable though. My 2010 had 2.6mm stock and I couldn't get it dialled for the life of me. Would change every time the wind direction did.